Addy Daddy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm an Indian and the about to start A levels so I was thinking that criminal psychology seemed a subjects I'd enjoy for a career but there isn't much room for psychology in India so I just wanted to know my chances in the UK
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just to clarify - do you mean criminal psychologist or forensic psychologist?
Darbinator
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You being Indian shouldn't hinder your chances of getting a job in the UK.(as long as you have citizenship or a working VISA) Also, you may need to go to Uni to get a degree first, psychology is very competitive.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Forensic is one of the more popular areas of psychology, and you would be looking at 3 years of undergraduate study, plus an additional 3-5 years of postgraduate study (Stage 1 and Stage 2) on top of that to become a qualified forensic psychologist, some of which you would probably have to fund. It is highly competitive and you would need to be able to work in the UK to fulfil the criteria to qualify, as well as having the clearance to work in various prisons and secure units with forensic populations.

You may wish to read the BPS website about forensic psychology in the UK to get an overview:
https://careers.bps.org.uk/area/forensic
Addy Daddy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
Just to clarify - do you mean criminal psychologist or forensic psychologist?
Forensic Psycologist
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Addy Daddy)
Forensic Psycologist
Being Indian wont hinder your chances. The only thing I can't think of is a slight difficulty in engaging with prison slang but you'd soon get used to that.
indra awasthi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm an Indian and the about to start A levels so I was thinking that criminal psychology seemed a subjects I'd enjoy for a career but there isn't much room for psychology in India so I just wanted to know my chances in the UK
(Original post by Criminalis)
Being Indian wont hinder your chances. The only thing I can't think of is a slight difficulty in engaging with prison slang but you'd soon get used to that.
ma'am, i am pursuing my undergraduate from India and i have applied for my masters in forensic psychology in the UK so ma'am can i become the forensic psychologist over there please guide me through this or you can tell me the procedure. I'll be highly obliged if you help me.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by indra awasthi)
ma'am, i am pursuing my undergraduate from India and i have applied for my masters in forensic psychology in the UK so ma'am can i become the forensic psychologist over there please guide me through this or you can tell me the procedure. I'll be highly obliged if you help me.
So firstly, you want to make sure both degrees are accredited. You need the accredited psychology undergradate to get onto the MSc and then an accredited MSc to go onto the Stage 2. After finishing the MSc, you need to get a job, find an already chartered psychologist to supervise you and then apply to do the Stage 2, which is at least another two years. If you do this whilst working, your workplace will normally (but not always) pay for you to do the Stage 2, but you can also undergo the research route by working at a university. It's only after completing the Stage 2 that you will become eligible for HCPC registration and become a chartered, practicing psychologist.

Alternatively, you can do a doctorate in Forensic Psychology which combines Stages 1 (the MSc) and 2 (supervised practice) but there are much fewer courses which are more competitive.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 year ago
SharinTalks
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=Lord Asriel;80416548]Forensic is one of the more popular areas of psychology, and you would be looking at 3 years of undergraduate study, plus an additional 3-5 years of postgraduate study (Stage 1 and Stage 2) on top of that to become a qualified forensic psychologist, some of which you would probably have to fund. It is highly competitive and you would need to be able to work in the UK to fulfil the criteria to qualify, as well as having the clearance to work in various prisons and secure units with forensic populations.

You may wish to read the BPS website
Last edited by SharinTalks; 1 year ago
Neurocandid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s not an understaffed area comparatively to roles like nursing, medical practice etc. Therefore chances are very slim unless you if you become skilled I.e do a PhD coupled with experience
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
15.15%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
18.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (29)
43.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (12)
18.18%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads