The Student Room Group

U on UCAS application

Hi guys so basically I did a maths AS and got a U in it, I'm not resitting it I just dropped the subject completely , do I need to put that grade on UCAS? I asked my referee and head of year they said I did not as I'm resitting the year and I don't have an exam certificate for it, however everyone else that I have asked says that I need to.
I think it's better to not put it since you've dropped it and perhaps putting it would sort of "bring you down" (if you know what I mean)
Original post by virtualcounselor
I think it's better to not put it since you've dropped it and perhaps putting it would sort of "bring you down" (if you know what I mean)

Incorrect information.

Any exams you have done where you have received an official qualification from an exam board (i.e. it was marked externally) you have to put down, regardless of grade.
If this was an internal exam sat in school, the no, you don't have to put it down. If it was externally done and you got an official certificate for it then yes you do
Reply 3

Yeah but I'm scared that the unis I've applied to will find it later in the future and it will affect my whole application
Original post by ANJXLA
Yeah but I'm scared that the unis I've applied to will find it later in the future and it will affect my whole application

Ignore what they said as the information is incorrect and the uni's can look up on this stuff and it could affect your application.
Read what I wrote to determine wether or not you need to put it down
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
Incorrect information.

Any exams you have done where you have received an official qualification from an exam board (i.e. it was marked externally) you have to put down, regardless of grade.
If this was an internal exam sat in school, the no, you don't have to put it down. If it was externally done and you got an official certificate for it then yes you do

it was sat in school but it was an official exam
Original post by AzureCeleste
Incorrect information.

my bad. I thought you don't have to put it if you don't plan on doing a course related to that subject
Original post by ANJXLA

Then yes you have to put it down.
If the paper then got sent off and marked externally and you recived results on results day then that has to be put down
Original post by ANJXLA

well you have to put it anyways. It'll be alright as long as your course doesn't require Maths and you end up scoring well in the subjects that are required for the course of your choice
Reply 9
my bad. I thought you don't have to put it if you don't plan on doing a course related to that subject

I would like to do accounting and finance, some unis require A in a level maths, unfortunately I have a U, Ive applied to the unis that don't require this a level maths and hope that A* and B in Maths and statistics GCSE will helpmeet, I also metioned in my personal statement briefly that changed courses
Original post by ANJXLA
I would like to do accounting and finance, some unis require A in a level maths, unfortunately I have a U, Ive applied to the unis that don't require this a level maths and hope that A* and B in Maths and statistics GCSE will helpmeet, I also metioned in my personal statement briefly that changed courses

Hopefully you'll come across universities that won't require A Level Maths. Just make sure to do extremely well in Accounting as well as other relatable subjects
Original post by ANJXLA

You definitely should be putting it down. Otherwise if they find out they can declare your application as fraudulent and withdraw your offer/place. Not something you want to go through for the sake of one grade
resit it if you got an A* at gcse you must just have not been paying much attention you're obviously not incapable
Reply 13
Hopefully you'll come across universities that won't require A Level Maths. Just make sure to do extremely well in Accounting as well as other relatable subjects

Yeah I'll try, thank you
Original post by ANJXLA
Yeah I'll try, thank you

No problem
Reply 15
Original post by yolkie
resit it if you got an A* at gcse you must just have not been paying much attention you're obviously not incapable

I just didn't enjoy it, I think if I was to re sit it I would have got a C at best.
Reply 16
Original post by ANJXLA

Then put it down. I had to put down my maths grade when I failed it but I did it again that following year. Even though I didn’t want to I didn’t want to have lied in case that came back on me. Best to be safe.
Original post by ANJXLA
Hi guys so basically I did a maths AS and got a U in it, I'm not resitting it I just dropped the subject completely , do I need to put that grade on UCAS? I asked my referee and head of year they said I did not as I'm resitting the year and I don't have an exam certificate for it, however everyone else that I have asked says that I need to.

I was in the same position as you, in fact I put it on my UCAS form because of reasons described above. However my application got sent back to me by my school when I paid and sent it off and they asked me to remove it because I did not officially get a certificate for the qualification i.e it wasn't certificated. So I sent it off without the U and I've received offers/interviews.

I would recommend that you get it in writing that if you get called out on it, you have evidence that you were instructed to by a member of staff.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Indyyyy
I was in the same position as you, in fact I put it on my UCAS form because of reasons described above. However my application got sent back to me by my school when I paid and sent it off and they asked me to remove it because I did not officially get a certificate for the qualification i.e it wasnt certificated. So I sent it off and I've offers/interview.

I would recommend that you get it in writiting that if you get called out on it, you have evidence that you were instructed to by a member of staff.

You have to follow guidelines. It doesn't matter what your teachers say though, teachers sometimes get it wrong and its better to be safe than sorry
Original post by Indyyyy
I was in the same position as you, in fact I put it on my UCAS form because of reasons described above. However my application got sent back to me by my school when I paid and sent it off and they asked me to remove it because I did not officially get a certificate for the qualification i.e it wasn't certificated. So I sent it off without the U and I've received offers/interviews.

I would recommend that you get it in writing that if you get called out on it, you have evidence that you were instructed to by a member of staff.

UCAS guidance is to declare anything certificated AND any U grades, therefore your teacher is wrong. If a uni is looking to withdraw your offer/place because of it they won't care why you didn't declare it, you were the one that sent your application and declared it was honest and complete so a letter won't make any difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending