Is this a good combination of subjects to take?

Watch this thread
K Russell
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,
I went to my school's open evening today to look at A Level options. I know I am definitely taking History, and I also like the sound of Philosophy and Ethics.
I was also planning to take English Language and Literature, but when I went to the open evening it didn't sound very appealing. Instead, I came across Sociology and the topics covered really interested me. I am really undecided between English language and lit and Sociology.

So, which is a better combination?
*History,Philosophy and Ethics and Sociology
*History, Philosophy and Ethics and English Language and Literature
Or are neither a good combination?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by K Russell)
Hi guys,
I went to my school's open evening today to look at A Level options. I know I am definitely taking History, and I also like the sound of Philosophy and Ethics.
I was also planning to take English Language and Literature, but when I went to the open evening it didn't sound very appealing. Instead, I came across Sociology and the topics covered really interested me. I am really undecided between English language and lit and Sociology.

Its ok, but you should be thinking:

Which are the subjects I enjoy and can get the best grades in. Good grades get you into better unis.

Am i interested in a particular course? If so does it require particular A levels? Am I interested in a particular career?

They are fine if they get you onto the degree you are interested in and you enjoy the subjects.

Read this and play about with the tools.

Which A levels?
http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-studen...l-and-college/
https://university.which.co.uk/advic...-level-choices

Which course?
https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustud...p=SACU_BROWSE0
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Career profiles
https://www.planitplus.net/JobProfiles?letter=A
https://nationalcareersservice.direc...-profiles/home
kazzykat95
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by K Russell)
Hi guys,

If you're looking to have a good chance of getting into a good uni, the second combination would technically be better as you would have two facilitating subjects (History and English). However, it is still possible to get into a decent uni with two "soft" subjects (a term I personally hate but that's the mindset of most unis). Bottom line: If sociology interests you more, then take it!
Lanijj
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kazzykat95)
If you're looking to have a good chance of getting into a good uni, the second combination would technically be better as you would have two facilitating subjects (History and English). However, it is still possible to get into a decent uni with two "soft" subjects (a term I personally hate but that's the mindset of most unis). Bottom line: If sociology interests you more, then take it!
Don`t really consider any of those subjects "soft" Kazzy
kazzykat95
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lanijj)
I know, but a lot of unis do which is silly and elitist tbh, basically anything that isn't a "traditional" subject is almost completely disregarded (also everyone I know who takes Sociology, which is a lot of people, are really happy that they took it, which I personally consider to be more important)
Last edited by kazzykat95; 3 years ago
Geek5
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lanijj)
Sociology is definitely soft. You can scrape through with basic theoretical knowledge of Marxism, functionalism etc. Even the top grades are just a memory test, with fewer skills involved in comparison to subjects like History.
Lanijj
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If the first combination sounds interesting to yourself, you should consider opting for it. The second combination which you have included both English Lit and Language should be considered only really if you have an interest in doing it at University or generally have an interest in studying and being good at English.
If you plan on taking a Social Sicence course at University, the first combination is more than ideal!
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
universities that publish their list of PREFERRED subjects include sociology and Philosophy and that includes UCL. Go for what you will do well in and the subjects you need rather than listening to this facilitating nonsense which most Russell group universities dont follow. The vast majority of RG universities dont consider any of there subjects as soft.
Lanijj
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
universities that publish their list of PREFERRED subjects include sociology and Philosophy and that includes UCL. Go for what you will do well in and the subjects you need rather than listening to this facilitating nonsense which most Russell group universities dont follow. The vast majority of RG universities dont consider any of there subjects as soft.
Exactly! But I do acknowledge kazzykat95`s perspective on the issue.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's not really nonsense, a lot of unis say they will prefer it but they actually don't
what evidence do you have for this. Are you suggesting what UCL and Sheffield publicly state is lies. There are others as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (66)
66.67%
No (25)
25.25%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
8.08%

Watched Threads