The Student Room Group

I need to make my A level choices and I’m confused

So that lovely time where we finally have to make our A-Level choices has come...yay.

Anyways, I’ve managed to narrow down my subjects to Geography and Maths, which are my favourite subjects and I’m aiming to get a degree in Geography as it’s my passion. However I can’t seem to choose my last subject. I’ve narrowed it down to Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths or photography, but since I chose my (very academic) options for GCSE my enthusiasm and motivation for all my subjects (excluding Geography and Maths) have gone and I feel like I need a fresh subject to do.

So that’s when photography appeared. Photography has been a hobby of mine since about year 7 when I took a weeks long course on it and absolutely fell in love with it, unfortunately that’s all it’s really been for me- a hobby. So finding out my school did it as an A Level it really intrigued me as I’ve been consistently going out with my grandparents and taking photos for around the last five years, but I’m worried if I take it the universities won’t see it as academic enough? Will it affect my chances of getting into a Geography degree at uni? Even though I’m predicted a 9 and 8 respectively in Geography and Maths at GCSE.

I’m just really confused at the moment, do I just stick it out and choose an academic subject for my a levels even though I struggle to find the motivation for it? Or should I take a chance and actually pursue photography as an actual subject despite the fact it may hinder my university chance possibly?

Advice would be v.helpful :-)

-from a very confuzzled year 11!
(edited 5 years ago)
when you apply to do geography at uni (I am also doing that currently) they do not specify your other subject chooses having to be academic apart from the subject you have chosen (geography) therefore pick subjects you know you will do well on, they ask for a set of grades such as AAB which would include geography. I chose geog drama and sociology and even though they are ‘fluffy’ subjects I would get accepted into most unis just because of grades
Sorry I'm only just replying now (bit late...) but thanks for your advice ! As it happened, in the end, I wasn't eligible for A Level Photography as I didn't take Art for my GCSE, however, your advice did end up helping me choose my third option of History which is my highest performing subject and probably one of my most enjoyed xx

Thanks again :-)

-confuzzedyear11
Original post by madblobby
when you apply to do geography at uni (I am also doing that currently) they do not specify your other subject chooses having to be academic apart from the subject you have chosen (geography) therefore pick subjects you know you will do well on, they ask for a set of grades such as AAB which would include geography. I chose geog drama and sociology and even though they are ‘fluffy’ subjects I would get accepted into most unis just because of grades

Quick Reply

Latest