?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
CHINA
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I like Australia. ..big open spaces ...clean fresh air and tough immigration policy .
Great quality of life and fantastic place to bring up a family .
Everything that inner city Britain isn't .😕😦
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great Britain. We have great in our title for a reason
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
FINLAND
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Great Britain. We have great in our title for a reason
Self delusion.

(Original post by Johnny English)
I like Australia. ..big open spaces ...clean fresh air and tough immigration policy .
tough immigration policy?

Kids die on Nauru because of how the Australian government treats people they imprison there. The kids go in a sort of vegetative state and become suicidal. The guards rampantly rape women.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yudothis)
Self delusion.

tough immigration policy?

Kids die on Nauru because of how the Australian government treats people they imprison there. The kids go in a sort of vegetative state and become suicidal. The guards rampantly rape women.
And what is wrong with liking ones own country, or is this now not allowed for people in the UK?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Germany. I travel there whenever I can.
Unban RenéD
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Germany.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
And what is wrong with liking ones own country, or is this now not allowed for people in the UK?
I didn't say it's wrong to like ones country. I said the 'great' part is wrong. No other country needs it in their name to feel good about itself. No other country is arrogant enough to put it in their name. Also it stems from size (e.g. in German it's Grossbritannien, i.e. large), and we all know that ain't true anymore.
harry.styles
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn't say it's wrong to like ones country. I said the 'great' part is wrong. No other country needs it in their name to feel good about itself. No other country is arrogant enough to put it in their name. Also it stems from size (e.g. in German it's Grossbritannien, i.e. large), and we all know that ain't true anymore.
There are thousands of islands in the British Isles. The largest one is called Great Britain because it's the largest. Mostly people use that to mean the entire political entity (Great Britain plus all the smaller islands and Northern Ireland), which in some sense is a misnomer. It's definitely not named out of arrogance as you suggest; if you're very unhappy about it however maybe you can suggest an alternative. 'The United Kingdom of Big Britain, Northern Ireland, plus all the small bits' perhaps?
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also it stems from size (e.g. in German it's Grossbritannien, i.e. large), and we all know that ain't true anymore.
Pretty sure our island hasn't shrunk dude.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harry.styles)
There are thousands of islands in the British Isles. The largest one is called Great Britain because it's the largest. Mostly people use that to mean the entire political entity (Great Britain plus all the smaller islands and Northern Ireland), which in some sense is a misnomer. It's definitely not named out of arrogance as you suggest; if you're very unhappy about it however maybe you can suggest an alternative. 'The United Kingdom of Big Britain, Northern Ireland, plus all the small bits' perhaps?
I am not unhappy about it at all. I just find it funny how a people can care so much about naming themselves 'great'.
Rugbee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Johnny English)
Tough immigration policy? interesting considering they went over there and took over someone else's land and subdued and used the original owners to their own selfish advantage. And maybe inner city Britain wouldn't have so many immigrants if Britain wasn't so keen on being 'Great' going on a rampage 'dividing and conquering' land that didn't belong to them. What goes around comes around so don't moan now. There's a price to pay for that "Greatness".
LostAccount
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Poland and Britain.
midiwombatz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wales does that count?
TeenRose29
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Australia is my fave
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads