username3718932
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
#1
I got an unconditional offer from Bangor to do biology if i make it my first choice, but I don't want to accept it because I wasn't a big fan of the uni when I went on the open day and only put it down because I needed a 5th choice, but now i'm feeling pressured by my family to put it down as my first choice. What should I do?
0
reply
SlumpLord
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
#2
Report 1 year ago
#2
Tell them to wait until you have got all you offers then make a choice. You’re going by there, not your family and for 3-4 years. They should have some input but you shouldn’t make a decision 100% based on their opinion.
13
reply
LostAccount
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
#3
Report 1 year ago
#3
Are you going there or your family?

Keep that in mind when pressing anything on UCAS.
14
reply
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#4
Report 1 year ago
#4
Don't put it as your first choice if it's not. They give unconditionals because they're desperate for students & the money that comes with students - there's been a fall in the number of 18 year olds this year and the government has made it far harder for them to recruit internationals.

So they give out unconditionals-if-you-firm to try to bribe students who really could do better to come to their uni instead.

Put as your first choice wherever you actually want to go. Chances are that - if on results day you end up with grades far lower than you expected - Bangor would happily take you anyway, even if you didn't firm it. They're that desperate for students.
8
reply
username3718932
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
#5
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.
2
reply
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#6
Report 1 year ago
#6
(Original post by Fire And Fury)
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.
It's not "risky" - it's called having ambition and not settling for the worst but easiest option.

Besides, this year has the lowest number of 18 year olds for ages. I can all but guarantee you that if you firm Liverpool and then miss your grades, Bangor would take you anyway on results day through clearing, even if you hadn't firmed/insuranced them.
4
reply
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#7
Report 1 year ago
#7
Don't settle for a university that isn't as good, just because your parents & siblings are all risk-averse and have no ambition. Do what is best for you.
1
reply
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
#8
Report 1 year ago
#8
Unconditional if accepted offers are just a bribe don't accept it. Put your first choice as your first choice.
2
reply
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
#9
Report 1 year ago
#9
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
It's not "risky" - it's called having ambition and not settling for the worst but easiest option.

Besides, this year has the lowest number of 18 year olds for ages. I can all but guarantee you that if you firm Liverpool and then miss your grades, Bangor would take you anyway on results day through clearing, even if you hadn't firmed/insuranced them.
Also what he said, any university giving out unconditional if firmed is desperate for students. If the university wanted you specifically they would just give you an unconditional
0
reply
Going Back
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#10
Report 1 year ago
#10
Also, what are your predicted grades? If your preferred choices are doable, don't settle for less now. As others have said, you don't need to.
1
reply
LostAccount
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
#11
Report 1 year ago
#11
The likelihood is that Bangor is going to give you a space in clearing regardless if you apply there or not. It's not really an oversubscribed university.
1
reply
username3718932
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#12
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
#12
(Original post by Going Back)
Also, what are your predicted grades? If your preferred choices are doable, don't settle for less now. As others have said, you don't need to.
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Geography: B
0
reply
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#13
Report 1 year ago
#13
(Original post by Fire And Fury)
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.

They are not showing much confidence in you, are they?

You may not need the foundation year as a reserve. If you accept Liverpool (firm or insurance) they will, sure as eggs is eggs, allow you in to the foundation if you get CCC, through clearing.

So accept where you really want to go and work hard, and stuff it to your family.
0
reply
Going Back
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#14
Report 1 year ago
#14
With those grades, you don't need to firm Bangor.
1
reply
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#15
Report 1 year ago
#15
(Original post by Fire And Fury)
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Geography: B
There's no way you should be going to Bangor. You can do far better. Definitely firm Liverpool - to be honest, even if you ended up getting BBB or BBC, there's a high chance the Liverpool degree would take you anyway.

This year is a buyer's market for students given the drop in the number of 18 year olds. Ignore your parents and firm Liverpool. You'd be stupid not to.
2
reply
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#16
Report 1 year ago
#16
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Ignore your parents and firm Liverpool. You'd be stupid not to.
Or Warwick, if an offer emerges. Or, preferably, both in order of preference.

Unconditional-if-firm offers are the devil's spawn.
4
reply
username3718932
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#17
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
#17
Thanks for all the advice, I will definitley not put Bangor as my firm and will pick either Liverpool or Warwick as instead.
5
reply
NHSFan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
#18
Report 1 year ago
#18
(Original post by Fire And Fury)
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.
Wait until you have heard from all of your choices. It is quite likely that you would get into Liverpool, even if you missed your offer, so whatever you do, DO NOT accept that Bangor one!

It is YOUR decision, not your family's!
Last edited by NHSFan; 1 year ago
3
reply
death07/08/17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
#19
Report 1 year ago
#19
(Original post by Fire And Fury)
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Geography: B
I understand that you've decided to not firm Bangor. As an aside however, if those are your predicted grades, you should easily get CCC and not need to go into clearing anyway.
0
reply
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#20
Report 1 year ago
#20
(Original post by Fire And Fury)
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.
Seriously, don't take their advice. What do they know?
In the unlikely event that you miss your offer, you could still go into clearing - possibly for that very course at Bangor.
3
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (33)
19.19%
Labour (69)
40.12%
Liberal Democrats (35)
20.35%
Green Party (7)
4.07%
Brexit Party (4)
2.33%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
2.33%
Plaid Cymru (4)
2.33%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (2)
1.16%
Other (2)
1.16%
None (12)
6.98%

Watched Threads

View All