(Original post by Sinnoh)
    Oh come on
    I mean most ppl wouldn’t know a single scientist
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rainfall)
    Well, I don't believe you. I admit that I could name more off the top of my head than most people, and people are quite bad at naming living scientists, but still - not even Einstein? Or Isaac Newton? Or Benjamin Franklin?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don’t know a single scientist name except hawking ( I think he’s a scientist) I never paid attention in history lessons
    I'm a scientist, y'all can nominate me I've cloned the GALNT9 gene into E.coli. Basically Nobel Prize worthy shizz here.

ReputationRep:
    It probably won't be Newton, as he was on the £1 note ages ago.

Agree that it will most probably be Hawking, Turing, or Lovelace.

I would probably normally prefer Turing, but Hawking's recent death makes me more inclined that way.

James Clerk Maxwell would probably be a better choice though.

edit: I just decided to go ahead and nominate JCM after all .

ReputationRep:
    Most people would be ashamed of themselves if they said that, and most people listened in both science and history lessons to at least the extent that the odd name percolated through the cotton wool.

ReputationRep:
    how much longer are they going to be making new money man? hope after this they give it a rest but obviously they've got to turn the £20 note into plastic as well. what was the point of making a new version if they are just going to make an even newer version after that??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinnoh)
    Well, I don't believe you. I admit that I could name more off the top of my head than most people, and people are quite bad at naming living scientists, but still - not even Einstein? Or Isaac Newton? Or Benjamin Franklin?
    Omg I got confused between Einstein and hawking lmao

ReputationRep:
    Rosalind Franklin or Dorothy Hodgkin
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Who uses £50 notes anyway other than criminals, doubt they are going to stop to appreciate the art work in between drug dealing
    I think they should just get rid of £50 notes anyway.
    They arent used that much, quite a few places dont take them, places that do are very careful to make sure they arent fake (more so than with other notes).

ReputationRep:
    Professor Snape. Scientist. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    Me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goggleyed)
    how much longer are they going to be making new money man? hope after this they give it a rest but obviously they've got to turn the £20 note into plastic as well. what was the point of making a new version if they are just going to make an even newer version after that??
    The new 20 pound note will be going into circulation in 2020, the 50 is the last one to be done.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bank...-20-pound-note

ReputationRep:
    Went for Alan Turing. Amazing scientist and it would be nice to have such a prominent LGBT figure recognised after so much was done to him by the state because of his sexuality.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Newton would be cool considering he was previously the Master of the Mint, an exceptional homage to his career. His contributions to gravitational laws, kinematics, calculus, and refractive indices are renowned are contemporarily used today. Alan Turing is controversial, his scientific enigma machine focussed on one aspect of cryptography. Hawking is too recent to be credited, and his theory of Hawking Radiation is based on previous work. It is highly likely to be a woman, Rosalind Franklin (Her contributions to the structure of DNA paved the way for our understanding of modern genetics, and cellular biochemistry).

ReputationRep:
    I'd like Oliver Heaviside to get a note...

But TBH I think it's going to be a 2 horse race between Alan Turing and Ada Lovelace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Who uses £50 notes anyway other than criminals, doubt they are going to stop to appreciate the art work in between drug dealing
    I do but I’m also an art buying drug dealer who appreciates a fine piece of art.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just joking. :colone:

ReputationRep:
    if not Alan Turing then i would suggest....

ReputationRep:
    Rosalind Franklin all the way! Finally gets the credit she deserves
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Voted for Rosalind Franklin :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Winnie the Pooh. For his discovery of the North Pole.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.