Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm looking for internationally funded PhDs in the UK. I am American looking to do my PhD in the UK and looking for stipend included PhD programs specifically for metabolic diseases/Type2Diabetes for Fall2019. I've been using FindAPhD but am looking for other resources. Please help!
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
Good Morning cpbaker,

How are you? Where are you from in America?
I was visiting friends a couple of years ago and also went backpacking on both coasts, beautiful place to visit

I'm a Spanish student currently studying and living in Sheffield, England. My current status as a home student, but I'm registered as an EU citizen here in the UK. I think I may be able to help you, as I was also looking for a Ph.D. a few years back and came across many online resources, whoever I decided to do a Masters instead for the time being. I hope is not too late to reply to your post, I can see it has been a month since you ask the question.

The website that you mention is a very generic one, is better to search by topic of interest, like for example, you are of interest in the area of metabolic diseases?

I did a search on my browser for this topic area, by default my browser is set to search in UK websites only. I hope I can help you with the links I've found. Here Is a list of websites I've found on google, however, this is not my area of expertise, I hope this is related to what you are looking for, some of the links in UK Universities:


I will suggest looking into this university's departments to find out if they have the specific Ph.D. you are looking for.

I personally also use a generic job search website to find jobs and PhDs such as indeed:

Have you heard of it before?

I would say that here in the UK we use other websites, when we graduate from university we get asked to register with specific websites such as gradcracker and prospectus, is usually used to look for further education, job opportunities and internships, but you can also find specific PHDs opportunities:


This is the basic information about PHDs on funding you can find in the prospectus:

"PhD studentships are most commonly awarded by the UK's seven Research Councils in the form of Research Council grants, as well as by individual universities in the form of scholarships and bursaries."

The prospectus website has many resources, however, these are some of the links you can follow to find some funded PHDs:

Usually, If we are looking for any job opportunity after graduation in the UK area but also opportunities in research such as PhDs we use the main jobs search engine for jobs in the UK such as:

Also, have you try to look into the main university PhDs opportunities?

I have some international friends studying PHDs here at Sheffield and they found out by choosing a university and looking into their offers, I know that this seems a very slow process, but not all universities advertise on this websites. I will recommend you to look for a university with the department of your study interest, as they are most likely to offer further education and PhDs in that subject.

If you are interested in the research area of metabolic diseases but not necessarily want to do it through a university, these are other places worth looking into the NHS website:

National Health Service (England)
"The National Health Service (NHS) is the publicly funded national healthcare system for England and one of the four National Health Services for each constituent country of the United Kingdom. It is the largest single-payer healthcare system in the world. Primarily funded through the general taxation system and overseen by the Department of Health, NHS England provides healthcare to all legal English residents, with most services free at the point of use. Some services, such as emergency treatment and treatment of infectious diseases are free for everyone, including visitors." WIKI

They offer postgraduate study and scholarship opportunities https://www.postgraduatestudentships...ganization/nhs

Also, you can look into the BIMDG:

British Inherited Metabolic Disease Group.

"Our goal is to relieve persons suffering from the inherited metabolic disease by advancing the education of persons involved in the diagnosis, care, and treatment of such persons and to promote research into the treatment of inherited metabolic disease."


They have educational grants, I don't know how eligibility works, but they me able to direct you to the right place?:

The British Inherited Metabolic Disease Group (BIMDG) will consider supporting students to gain valuable experience in the area of inherited metabolic disease.


How about your budget? some cities are more expensive than others to live an study, do you have a preference in location?

And a last and a very important question, do you like rain? Is plenty here, if you move to the UK is good to have it into consideration

I hope I was able to help you with all the links and information, please let me know if you have more questions, regarding living in the UK and studying here, I will be happy to help.

Have a nice Christmas Holidays

Best wishes,
Badges: 10
Report 2 years ago
Sadly the UK only sporadically offers PhD studentships available for those from outside the EU.

Maybe give Cambridge a go - they offer fully funded, yet competitive scholarships.

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
to top
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
I need help researching courses (5)
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
I need help with my personal statement (24)
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)

Watched Threads

View All