The Student Room Group

can you do chemisty and biology at a level if you do foundation at gcses?

is possible?
if not im screwed.
Reply 1
Original post by cooonmaster
is possible?
if not im screwed.

Try and get an a or a b in your coursework. Then get a high c in your exam this will allow you to get a b which can get you into a level biology or chemistry.
Original post by momo2434
Try and get an a or a b in your coursework. Then get a high c in your exam this will allow you to get a b which can get you into a level biology or chemistry.

The new GCSE doesn't have coursework.
Reply 3
Original post by Goldfish4343
The new GCSE doesn't have coursework.

In wales?
im in england . i dont have any coursework to do :frown:
Reply 5
The grade you need at GCSE to atke A level is set by the 6th form - if you do really well at Foundation and get a 5 then that might be enough for some colleges - but many will require a 6 (and some a 7). Even if you get a 5 and they let you do A level you will have to work your socks off at the start of A level as you will be missing a lot of presumed knowledge.
Reply 6
is possible?
if not im screwed.

I'm in Wales and I'm currently doing Triple Science, Maths, Portuguese and Spanish.

Are you in year 11 or year 10? If you're in year 10 and you sit foundation and achieve a C, you can sit all of the exams in higher tier near year, although it requires some effort. If you're in year 11 I'd recommend doing Higher Tier if you have the capability to. If you're interested in going to a specific college then I'd advise to call them. If you're staying in your sixth form then it's up to your teachers.

If you have further questions, ask away :smile:
Original post by Crow_M
I'm in Wales and I'm currently doing Triple Science, Maths, Portuguese and Spanish.

Are you in year 11 or year 10? If you're in year 10 and you sit foundation and achieve a C, you can sit all of the exams in higher tier near year, although it requires some effort. If you're in year 11 I'd recommend doing Higher Tier if you have the capability to. If you're interested in going to a specific college then I'd advise to call them. If you're staying in your sixth form then it's up to your teachers.

If you have further questions, ask away :smile:

i acheived a 5-4 grade in year 10 higher paper keep in mind this was january and i had only covered a small amount of the topic.
And about 2-3 weeks ago in school we sat a science test i was literally a mark of grade 6 .
Im in year 11 currently having mocks which might determine what i tier i do . i will actually be so pissed if i dont get into higher. i will probably have to lick someones ass to get into higher .( begging teachers).
did your year 11 mocks counts to the tier?
Reply 8
i acheived a 5-4 grade in year 10 higher paper keep in mind this was january and i had only covered a small amount of the topic.
And about 2-3 weeks ago in school we sat a science test i was literally a mark of grade 6 .
Im in year 11 currently having mocks which might determine what i tier i do . i will actually be so pissed if i dont get into higher. i will probably have to lick someones ass to get into higher .( begging teachers).
did your year 11 mocks counts to the tier?

I got near full marks in all of my foundation exams so my school allowed me to sit higher. I was basically entered in the wrong tier so that's why I did them again, it varies from school to school though.

Are you doing Double Award or Triple Science? I recommend that you start revising so you ace those mocks, GCSEs are a walk in the park compared to A Levels...
Original post by Crow_M
I got near full marks in all of my foundation exams so my school allowed me to sit higher. I was basically entered in the wrong tier so that's why I did them again, it varies from school to school though.

Are you doing Double Award or Triple Science? I recommend that you start revising so you ace those mocks, GCSEs are a walk in the park compared to A Levels...

im doing double mocks are on monday. sitting higher for now hoping to get a 5 .atleast . if i had 2 more weeks i could ace them because i would actually have time too revise.
Reply 10
im doing double mocks are on monday. sitting higher for now hoping to get a 5 .atleast . if i had 2 more weeks i could ace them because i would actually have time too revise.

How about starting to revise now? It's never too late :wink:
Original post by Crow_M
How about starting to revise now? It's never too late :wink:

i am trying too .

Quick Reply