The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth Harvard Referencing - Word

Hello all,

By any chance does anyone know if there's anywhere I can download a Plymouth Harvard referencing stylesheet for Word (Mac)?

The APA referencing style which comes with Office 365 is almost as per what Plymouth require - but it needs some tweaking.

I know I can do this all 'by hand', but it's so much easier to use the citation system in Word!

I can have a go at creating my own XSL template; I'm just a bit nervous about doing it. Also, it's quicker if someone had already done one!

Cheers,
Andy
There is software you can get which will manage your citations for you. Harvard referencing is very standard, so you should be able to fins something to manage this for you. Many papers and ebooks also now enable you to download citations in whatever format you like!
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
There is software you can get which will manage your citations for you. Harvard referencing is very standard, so you should be able to fins something to manage this for you. Many papers and ebooks also now enable you to download citations in whatever format you like!

Plymouth Uni has its own take on Harvard referencing (as do many colleges/unis) so I need to set it up in a certain way. Unfortunately Plymouth also requires that I not only do an alphabetically ordered bibliography, but also numerically ordered footnotes!

And if that wasn't enough, the format they want the bibliography references to appear is different to how they want them to appear in the footnotes. I was hoping they would have a Word template set-up that would at least do the bibliography to save a little time.
Original post by ADKNight
Plymouth Uni has its own take on Harvard referencing (as do many colleges/unis) so I need to set it up in a certain way. Unfortunately Plymouth also requires that I not only do an alphabetically ordered bibliography, but also numerically ordered footnotes!

And if that wasn't enough, the format they want the bibliography references to appear is different to how they want them to appear in the footnotes. I was hoping they would have a Word template set-up that would at least do the bibliography to save a little time.

Harvard referencing is Harvard referencing. If they want you to do something else, that's not Harvard referencing and it's unlikely you'll be able to find anything set up to help you with this.

It sounds like a PITA though =/
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Harvard referencing is Harvard referencing. If they want you to do something else, that's not Harvard referencing and it's unlikely you'll be able to find anything set up to help you with this.

It sounds like a PITA though =/

They call it "Plymouth-Harvard referencing" because it's based on Harvard, but has a few tweaks.

A whole bunch of colleges/unis do something very similar. It's soooo frustrating!! I don't know why all colleges and unis can't just agree on one single standard and stick with it - they're all basically the same anyway.

But you have to be careful to stick accurately to their system as (supposedly) if you don't do it as they want, they will sometimes reject the work and refuse to mark it. *epic eye-roll*
First time I have seen Plymouth and Havard together in the same sentence.
Reply 6

I get thevrest, but how else are footnotes meant to be ordered?
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
I get thevrest, but how else are footnotes meant to be ordered?

Not complaining about how they're ordered, just that it's a pain in the neck to do because it takes so long to manually write up two different styles of referencing manually.

Hence why I was hoping there'd be a Word stylesheet to use.

As it stands, I think I am just going to download EndNote and configure it through that.
Reply 8
Not complaining about how they're ordered, just that it's a pain in the neck to do because it takes so long to manually write up two different styles of referencing manually.

Hence why I was hoping there'd be a Word stylesheet to use.

As it stands, I think I am just going to download EndNote and configure it through that.

I don't understand what you mean about the footnotes. Footnotes are almost always numerically ordered.
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
I don't understand what you mean about the footnotes. Footnotes are almost always numerically ordered.

I think you're being obtuse.
Reply 10
I think you're being obtuse.

No, I just don't know what your point is about the footnotes. Doesn't matter anyway, I don't need to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending