Would this presentation be considered offensive??

Watch this thread
jzseal
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of preparing a presentation for a sixth - form entrance interview day, about "an academic topic I am passionate about". I have chosen freedom of speech, i.e: why it's necessary for the progression of society.

I would like to point out that at no point I condone hateful opinions, but I do mention the idea of "hate speech being no different from free speech", and I'm really concerned that a board of governors would find this horribly offensive and see it as grounds to deny me entry to the school... or it would seem like I was trying to justify racism etc (which I 100% am not).

What do you think? should I just scrap the whole idea and choose a less controversial topic?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jzseal)
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of preparing a presentation for a sixth - form entrance interview day, about "an academic topic I am passionate about". I have chosen freedom of speech, i.e: why it's necessary for the progression of society.

I would like to point out that at no point I condone hateful opinions, but I do mention the idea of "hate speech being no different from free speech", and I'm really concerned that a board of governors would find this horribly offensive and see it as grounds to deny me entry to the school... or it would seem like I was trying to justify racism etc (which I 100% am not).

What do you think? should I just scrap the whole idea and choose a less controversial topic?
You haven't given much detail to go on here. The topic itself is fine, but you'd need to careful to differentiate between being controversial and iconoclastic.

Difficult topics like this can be excellent material - but you need to make sure that you can justify your claims/assertions and make it a convincing argument rather than something which degenerates into a rant, or a rambling monologue. If you think there's any danger of that, then pick a less controversial topic.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It doesn't sound as if you are seeking to be offensive or very controversial.
But do be aware that any phrase or opinion can be viewed as offensive by an fanatical intolerant who does not accept the freedom to hold other opinions.

Are you going to differentiate between the legal frameworks, explore the various contexts and variety of attitudes that exist within the free speech spectrum?
For example free speech issues involved in publishing, social media posts, video broadcasting and electronic messaging.
Academic discussions about controversial aspects of the past, religion and popular culture in modern society.
Provocative individuals like Richard Dawkins, Mary Daly, Germaine Greer, Ed Husain, Katie Hopkins, Melanie Phillips, Jordan Peterson and Milo Yiannopoulos.
The different positions on free speech ranging from free speech fundamentalists, free speech within the law and restricted lawful free speech that does not go beyond certain limits of logic/good manners/ controversy/ enter the abusive remit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (37)
69.81%
No (12)
22.64%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
7.55%

Watched Threads