The Student Room Group

Good colleges/sixth forms in Manchester

Hello everyone, I am in year 11 now and I need to apply to some colleges. I don't know much about colleges and sixth forms in Manchester. I have heard that Loreto and Xaverian are good. Can you please tell me about them if you go there or give any other suggestions? I want to do A-Levels and do medicine at university. Could you please tell me about the teaching quality of the colleges and sixth forms you know? Also, I would love to go to Oxford University so I'm trying to find a college that will help get there.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hey, if you still need some help on this id be happy to help im in my first year of college right now.
Reply 3
Original post by wolfie_16
Hey, if you still need some help on this id be happy to help im in my first year of college right now.

Yes please. Can you tell me what college you go to and give me your impressions? I'm so glad someone finally answered me.
Sure id be happy to help, first though it might be a good idea to tell me the general area you like in, manchesters a really big place personally I go to one called marple sixth form college, but i have friends that go to all different colleges around manchester so id also be happy to ask around for you if you have any specific ones in mind or any specific subjects you plan on taking.
Reply 5
Sure id be happy to help, first though it might be a good idea to tell me the general area you like in, manchesters a really big place personally I go to one called marple sixth form college, but i have friends that go to all different colleges around manchester so id also be happy to ask around for you if you have any specific ones in mind or any specific subjects you plan on taking.

I don't live in Manchester but there is a chance that I will next year. I don't know yet where I will be living and that's why I need to know about a range of good colleges in different places. The A-levels that I am planning of doing are Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I also want to take Government and Politics as a fourth extra subject but that is not essential.
right now I study btech applied science in my college so I can obviously recomend the science department there as its great, my friend also studies biology at manchester college and she says that it brilliant and the teachers are great I also know that holy cross is an amazing college with great facilities, are you looking for a none religious college or do you not have a prefrence?
Reply 7
right now I study btech applied science in my college so I can obviously recomend the science department there as its great, my friend also studies biology at manchester college and she says that it brilliant and the teachers are great I also know that holy cross is an amazing college with great facilities, are you looking for a none religious college or do you not have a prefrence?

I don't mind if a college or sixth form is religious. I just want one where the results are excellent and can help me get to medicine.
Original post by Fibonacci27
I don't mind if a college or sixth form is religious. I just want one where the results are excellent and can help me get to medicine.

Yeah then those are some great colleges that you should probably have a look at. I know of a few people from my college (Marple sixth form college) that went to oxford but I’m not sure about the others, I can try asking someone if you’d like?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah then those are some great colleges that you should probably have a look at. I know of a few people from my college (Marple sixth form college) that went to oxford but I’m not sure about the others, I can try asking someone if you’d like?

I had a look at the websites for Holy Cross and your sixth form and I think they are good. You've really helped me out with this; before I had no idea of where to apply. The librarian in my school said that Loreto is good as well so I am going to apply there too. Do you know anyone from Loreto? If you don't that's fine. If you have any other recommendations I'd be happy to hear them. But I think you've already helped me a lot so thank you.
I had a look at the websites for Holy Cross and your sixth form and I think they are good. You've really helped me out with this; before I had no idea of where to apply. The librarian in my school said that Loreto is good as well so I am going to apply there too. Do you know anyone from Loreto? If you don't that's fine. If you have any other recommendations I'd be happy to hear them. But I think you've already helped me a lot so thank you.

hello, I'm so sorry for not replying, I'm super glad to hear I helped and I think I might know someone that goes to Loreto if youd like me to try talking to them for you let me know.
Hey, I'm looking to do dentistry in the future and I am also around Manchester. I believe Holy Cross is good, and so is William Hulme Grammar Sixth form. Someone I know goes stretford grammar and it's top performing too.
Reply 12
ik 2 colleges in Manchester because my friends go there ones xaverian that's good apparently and ones Loreto :smile:
The obvious answer is location 😂 but also marple has more A level studies (although there are quite a few BTEC courses) whereas cheadle is more focused around GCSE resits and BTEC’s (although isn’t limited to just these).
Original post by secret.user
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between Marple and Cheadle College

Where did you end up going? I’m going college this year but torn between holy cross and loreto

Quick Reply