The Student Room Group

My a-level choices and if maths is worth it

I'm what you'd call an "all-rounder" in terms of my grades, I'm very studious and honestly, my passion is for LEARNING in general rather than specific subjects.

So here are my five subjects that I'm thinking of:
1) Psychology - the one I'm most set on it's interesting and am thinking of going to into a career related to this (or not... still extremely v unsure)
2) German - main reason for wanting to take this as it's a little more laid back in terms of content and revision. Can practice through watching tv shows, talking with friends etc which makes it more fun and am currently doing good at GCSEs
3) Media Studies - one of my favourites but seen as a soft subject by Russell group universities -- which is what I'm aiming for - also don't think I'll be going into a career in this but you never know
4) Geography - have always enjoyed but worried abt being content and heavy and the careers in geography don't really interest me as I'm more of a human geographer
5) Maths - this is where I'm most torn apart. It's great because I'm unsure of what I'd like to be and maths incorporates a bit of everything. I do enjoy it when I understand it and get it but not looking to do further maths (will this be a setback?) and I don't enjoy the topics I don't get (which is a given really) am predicted a 7 for GCSE maths though and have done really well in some tests

Right now I'm settled on Psychology German and Geography. What do you guys think? Any advice on Maths and how you are currently finding it/found it at A-Levels. Thanks for reading and good luck to all the students of the multiverse. Especially those who are in a sticky choosing subjects situation.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soulyarie
I'm what you'd call an "all-rounder" in terms of my grades, I'm very studious and honestly, my passion is for LEARNING in general rather than specific subjects.

1) Psychology - the one I'm most set on it's interesting and am thinking of going to into a career related to this (or not... still extremely v unsure)
2) German - main reason for wanting to take this as it's a little more laid back in terms of content and revision. Can practice through watching tv shows, talking with friends etc which makes it more fun and am currently doing good at GCSEs
3) Media Studies - one of my favourites but seen as a soft subject by Russell group universities -- which is what I'm aiming for - also don't think I'll be going into a career in this but you never know
4) Geography - have always enjoyed but worried abt being content and heavy and the careers in geography don't really interest me as I'm more of a human geographer
5) Maths - this is where I'm most torn apart. It's great because I'm unsure of what I'd like to be and maths incorporates a bit of everything. I do enjoy it when I understand it and get it but not looking to do further maths (will this be a setback?) and I don't enjoy the topics I don't get (which is a given really) am predicted a 7 for GCSE maths though and have done really well in some tests

Right now I'm settled on Psychology German and Geography. What do you guys think? Any advice on Maths and how you are currently finding it/found it at A-Levels. Thanks for reading and good luck to all the students of the multiverse. Especially those who are in a sticky choosing subjects situation.

Maths is the subject that would give the greatest options but only take it if you are very good at it and enjoy it. Further Maths is not an issue unless you intend tsking Maths, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or Economics mainly at very high reputation universities eg oxbridge .Media studies is risky for RG universities but maybe will be accepted as a 3rd subject. Check out with the universities you are interested in whether they will accept it asa third A level. The other 3 will all be fine but it depends on what you intend doing at degree level. I supect that your subject choice is fine unless you feel you are able to take up Maths.
I hope you're not planning to take 5 A-levels...
Reply 3
No I am not. That would be too much. That‘s why I‘m trying to cut it down as much as possible!!

What u wanna do at uni?
Reply 5
Thanks for your advice! I would say I‘m okay at maths not very good. I do enjoy it at times but not all the time. Plus I don‘t really want to do mechanics - i like the other parts its just that one. I know it would be good and will break up my essay-style subjects but I‘m unsure.
Reply 6
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
What u wanna do at uni?

Haven‘t really thought that far but was thinking taking up Psychology if I find it good at A-Levels or perhaps Geograph. Would like a year abroad and it would be cool if I did a subject with a language + year abroad (German + Germany).

I‘d like to be a lecturer or just a teacher in general so it‘s really where my interests take me.
Haven‘t really thought that far but was thinking taking up Psychology if I find it good at A-Levels or perhaps Geograph. Would like a year abroad and it would be cool if I did a subject with a language + year abroad (German + Germany).

I‘d like to be a lecturer or just a teacher in general so it‘s really where my interests take me.

Why don't you start off with:

Psychology, German, Math,Geography.

Then drop theone you least like/don't need after you figure out what you want to do in the future
Thanks for your advice! I would say I‘m okay at maths not very good. I do enjoy it at times but not all the time. Plus I don‘t really want to do mechanics - i like the other parts its just that one. I know it would be good and will break up my essay-style subjects but I‘m unsure.

If your just OK at Maths I dont think you should take it. As has been said you could start with 4 and then drop one. Ask prospective universities how they feel about media studies as your third subject. Some will probably accept it. As an example UCL will accept Media studies provided your other 2 subjects are on teir preferred subject list which your other 4 are
In addition to any specified programme requirements, you should also ensure that you are taking at least two A levels from the list of preferred subjects (given below).

We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level you offer, provided the other two subjects appear on the approved list. If you are not able to offer two preferred subjects, you should contact the relevant degree programme contact to ascertain whether you can still be considered for admission.
(edited 5 years ago)
A
Ancient History
Anthropology
Arabic
Archaeology
Art and Design
Art and Design: 3D Design
Art and Design: Critical and Contextual Studies
Art and Design: Fine Art
Art and Design: Graphic Design
Art and Design: Photography
Art and Design: Textiles
B
Bengali
Biblical Hebrew
Biology
Biology (Salters-Nuffield)
Biology (Human)
Biology B
Business
C
Chemistry
Chemistry (Nuffield)
Chemistry (Salters)
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Classical Greek
Computer Science
D
Drama (WJEC specification)
Drama and Theatre Studies
Dutch
E
Economics
Economics B
Economics and Business
Economics and Business Studies (Nuffield)
English Language
English Language and Literature
English Literature (specifications A or B where applicable)
Environmental Science
Environmental Studies
F
Film Studies
French
G
Geography A
Geography B
Geology
German
Government and Politics
Gujarati
H
History
History of Art
History of Art and Design
I
Information and Communication Technology
Irish
Italian
J
Japanese
L
Latin
Law
M
Mathematics
Mathematics (MEI)
Further Mathematics
Pure Mathematics
Modern Greek
Modern Hebrew
Music
P
Panjabi
Persian
Philosophy
Physics
Physics (Advancing Physics)
Physics (Salters-Horners)
Polish
Portuguese
Psychology
Psychology A
Psychology B
R
Religious Studies
Russian
S
Sociology
Spanish
Statistics
T
Turkish
U
Urdu
W
Welsh
Welsh (Second Language)
(edited 5 years ago)

As far as I've heard, psychology seems really interesting at first but loads of people I know took it and wished they hadn't. I was exactly in the same position as you, had no clue what I wanted to be because I loved everything at GCSE! I ended up taking geography, maths, french and I genuinely would not have changed it if I had the choice to. I'd say take subjects that you enjoy doing!! You are more likely to do well if you love what you're studying, especially when some subjects are quite dull. You can decide later - yes, choosing certain subjects will open up more doors for you when it comes to applying for universties but trust me you will be fine. Just trust yourself to do subjects you love. I'm sure you'll be able to switch in the first couple weeks if you don't like what you choose.

Also, when choosing your subjects - think about it, do I want to be studying this subject over 8 hours a week? do i have the motivation? Because if you don't then don't choose it.

Hope this helped, I know how hard it can be xxxx
If you want to do three, Psychology, German and Geography are good options. Psych is obviously a 'soft' subject, but you have two 'hard' subjects so it's fine. Languages are always good, and the combination of it altogether makes a lot of sense.

If you want to do 4 you could do media studies? To be honest, it's really really looked down upon, and imo there's no point unless you genuinely want to do it.

I'd say to either do an extra AS or an EPQ. Easier than 4 subjects at A2, but still looks impressive. You can always do AS Maths - the mechanics in AS isn't too bad to be honest, but at A2 it's harder and there's much more mechanics than stats.
Reply 12
Original post by swanseajack1
If your just OK at Maths I dont think you should take it. As has been said you could start with 4 and then drop one. Ask prospective universities how they feel about media studies as your third subject. Some will probably accept it. As an example UCL will accept Media studies provided your other 2 subjects are on teir preferred subject list which your other 4 are
In addition to any specified programme requirements, you should also ensure that you are taking at least two A levels from the list of preferred subjects (given below).

We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level you offer, provided the other two subjects appear on the approved list. If you are not able to offer two preferred subjects, you should contact the relevant degree programme contact to ascertain whether you can still be considered for admission

thanks so much! Is this for UCL? Was actually looking into that uni earlier on it seems great. Also considering anthropology which sounds challenging but interesting
A warning for Geography, there is A LOT of content. It isn't hard to understand, but it just takes time to make sure you know it all. On Quizlet, I have 250 flashcards for human geography ONLY. I am in Year 12 so have only done 8 weeks of work. To compare to Biology, I have 280 for both of the topics we are doing. It is interesting but will take a long time to revise for.
Reply 14
Original post by kayapatelx
As far as I've heard, psychology seems really interesting at first but loads of people I know took it and wished they hadn't. I was exactly in the same position as you, had no clue what I wanted to be because I loved everything at GCSE! I ended up taking geography, maths, french and I genuinely would not have changed it if I had the choice to. I'd say take subjects that you enjoy doing!! You are more likely to do well if you love what you're studying, especially when some subjects are quite dull. You can decide later - yes, choosing certain subjects will open up more doors for you when it comes to applying for universties but trust me you will be fine. Just trust yourself to do subjects you love. I'm sure you'll be able to switch in the first couple weeks if you don't like what you choose.

Also, when choosing your subjects - think about it, do I want to be studying this subject over 8 hours a week? do i have the motivation? Because if you don't then don't choose it.

Hope this helped, I know how hard it can be xxxx

THANKS SO MUCH! Im glad im not the only one.... okay i see. Do you know why many people regretted taking psychology.... the workload? boring content?
Reply 15
(Original post by anonymous1231231)If you want to do three, Psychology, German and Geography are good options. Psych is obviously a 'soft' subject, but you have two 'hard' subjects so it's fine. Languages are always good, and the combination of it altogether makes a lot of sense.

If you want to do 4 you could do media studies? To be honest, it's really really looked down upon, and imo there's no point unless you genuinely want to do it.

I'd say to either do an extra AS or an EPQ. Easier than 4 subjects at A2, but still looks impressive. You can always do AS Maths - the mechanics in AS isn't too bad to be honest, but at A2 it's harder and there's much more mechanics than stats.

Yes i was actually considering 4 but just thinking abt the workload puts me off. Okay. Maths wld be really gd for uni so kind of just want ro suck it up and go for it at the moment. Whats an EPQ? I dont think our sixth form offers that...

Is Psychology a "soft“ subject? It thought because it was a behavioural/social science it is p gd.
(Original post by anonymous1231231)If you want to do three, Psychology, German and Geography are good options. Psych is obviously a 'soft' subject, but you have two 'hard' subjects so it's fine. Languages are always good, and the combination of it altogether makes a lot of sense.

Yes i was actually considering 4 but just thinking abt the workload puts me off. Okay. Maths wld be really gd for uni so kind of just want ro suck it up and go for it at the moment. Whats an EPQ? I dont think our sixth form offers that...

Is Psychology a "soft“ subject? It thought because it was a behavioural/social science it is p gd.

there is a belief amongst some that all social sciences are soft subjects because they are not traditional ones. Ignore it universities dont see it that way. as can be seen Birmingham dont for law
Preferred subjects:

We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:
Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development
THANKS SO MUCH! Im glad im not the only one.... okay i see. Do you know why many people regretted taking psychology.... the workload? boring content?

I think it's because as interesting the course seems at first, there's a lot of boring stuff... more boring topics than some others. That might be dependent on the board your school is...if you ask what board you are for your school and then look up the spec online? it might give you some guidance whether or not you want to take that for A level and whether the spec seems interesting.
thanks so much! Is this for UCL? Was actually looking into that uni earlier on it seems great. Also considering anthropology which sounds challenging but interesting

yes here is the link
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/requirements/preferred-a-level-subjects
There is a lot of misinformation about hard and soft subjects largely fuelled by the Russell group in their informed choices booklet. Nearly every university in England accepts a far wider range. It might be different for Oxbridge or Imperial but as far as I know all the others accept subjects like Psychology, Sociology and Economics as a preferred subject. They accept a so called soft subject like Media studies as a third choice but you should check with each university before applying. Very few accept General studies or critical thinking as one of their 3 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest