I've sent off my application - need help in choosing which offers to accept! Watch

A.H365
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I sent off my application to read law at the beginning of October. I'm starting to receive replies and I'm starting to realise how hard it will be to choose a Firm and Insurance. In terms of background knowledge, I live in London and wanted to leave London for university because I've lived here my whole life and will almost certainly have a career in London in the future. However, I still applied to LSE and UCL because they have great law schools with great career prospects. I also applied to Bristol and Warwick. Bristol seems like more fun and gives me the 'out of London' experience but is not as reputable or highly regarded as LSE and UCL. This is making me think that if I got offers from LSE and/or UCL, it will be very very difficult to reject them for Bristol. Also, the entry requirements are the same at A*AA and I've also applied to Cambridge but I'm not banking on it so it's kind of irrelevant to what I am asking.

Essentially, I am asking: are universities like UCL and LSE just as fun and sociable as ones like Bristol or Warwick? If I did get an offer from UCL and/or LSE, should I just accept it and ignore my desire to leave London?

Any responses and opinions would be helpful!
wailzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
LSE – Is 4’th in the rankings for law at this moment, and are recognised in providing great prospects after higher education. The quality of teaching here has been criticised in the past (of course the teaching here is highly respected, however, this is in comparison to other universities of its calibre). This is definitely a university for the independent mind with a heavy emphasis on research, support can be limited at times. In terms of the social life and university feel, I would say it’s lacking compared to the likes of UCL, Bristol and Warwick. I have friends who study at LSE and told me it can feel anti-social at times, especially in the second semester.

UCL – Again another university which is in the top 10 for Law, I would argue this is the best option you have out of all your choices. The campus at UCL is very ‘’collective’’ and social. Located in Bloomsbury makes it feel less like a ‘high street/city’ university and more like a campus. It has excellent connections with magic circle law firms and is highly reputable in law.

As for Warwick and Bristol, I don’t know too much regarding these universities, except for the fact they fall short of the top 10. Rankings aren’t everything and you should ask yourself where you really feel comfortable studying. Don’t take London for granted, it’s a gorgeous and diverse city that doesn’t fall short of opportunities. You’re going to face a major culture shock in most other places in the country.
A.H365
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by wailzy)
LSE – Is 4’th in the rankings for law at this moment, and are recognised in providing great prospects after higher education. The quality of teaching here has been criticised in the past (of course the teaching here is highly respected, however, this is in comparison to other universities of its calibre). This is definitely a university for the independent mind with a heavy emphasis on research, support can be limited at times. In terms of the social life and university feel, I would say it’s lacking compared to the likes of UCL, Bristol and Warwick. I have friends who study at LSE and told me it can feel anti-social at times, especially in the second semester.

UCL – Again another university which is in the top 10 for Law, I would argue this is the best option you have out of all your choices. The campus at UCL is very ‘’collective’’ and social. Located in Bloomsbury makes it feel less like a ‘high street/city’ university and more like a campus. It has excellent connections with magic circle law firms and is highly reputable in law.

As for Warwick and Bristol, I don’t know too much regarding these universities, except for the fact they fall short of the top 10. Rankings aren’t everything and you should ask yourself where you really feel comfortable studying. Don’t take London for granted, it’s a gorgeous and diverse city that doesn’t fall short of opportunities. You’re going to face a major culture shock in most other places in the country.
Thank you for taking the time to write that reply. It has really clarified my thought process regarding this topic. I think it wouldn't be sensible to reject LSE or UCL because they are in London; especially since it is a great city in itself. I think you raised a great point about cultural diversity. I live in West London which if you don't know is extremely diverse and I am of Arabic origin and therefore diversity is something I value. To be brutally honest, I think it is fair to say that if I receive an offer from one of those London universities, I will take it over Bristol.

Thank you again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.02%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.44%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (222)
30.54%

Watched Threads