The Student Room Group

University Showdown

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
Oh and how would you ideally like to get around/to and from uni/halls/city? Bus, tram, train, walk, cycle?

Preferably walk or cycle. Don’t like the idea of using public transport everyday to get to lectures. But I wouldn’t mind using it on nights out, shopping, etc.
Original post by swanseajack1
Leeds has a population of 700000 bigger than Manchester. Exeter about 130000 about the quarter of the size of Manchester. York is slightly bigger than Exeter and Newcastle larger again. Exeter has a very green extremely hilly campus with really good sporting facilities. It has indoor cricket and tennis centres and a large sports centre as well as playing fields. The issues on visiting and delaying your decision are totally correct. You will have offers for visit days in the new year. People every year come on here regretting they have rushed their decisions and want to change which isnt easy when you are committed to an unconditional offer. You could check the virtual open days if you are unable to visit places.

What’s a virtual open day?
Original post by swanseajack1
From OPs comment I suspect Exeter would be ideal but it needs visiting.

I’d like to visit but I live 7 hours away haha
Original post by PQ
I had no idea Leeds had a bigger population than Manchester. The city centre feels a lot more compact:cool:

That is because neither The Lowry nor Old Trafford are in Manchester (one is in Salford and the other in Trafford) whilst the British Library's northern outpost is in Leeds despite being 15 miles from The Headrow.
Original post by Atlas99

Exeter has a little airport, and a few train stations. If money is an issue you could maybe get megabus or national express. You really need to visit - even if it’s not on an actual open day.
Original post by Atlas99

It’s usually possible to arrange to stay over in halls for not a lot to make it worthwhile making the trip. Between megabus/halls/liftshares/hostels it would be doable to get round all your choices over a long weekend/half term road trip.
It maybe a question you need to ask yourself is Exeter too far. Easyjet flies from many airports to Exeter. Check out Easy jet to see if you can fly. It tends to work out reasonable. Where do you live. PM me if necessary so I can make suggestions. Virtual open days are available on the university website
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/visit/campuses/
sorry flights are with flybe not easy jet. flights go between exeter and newcastle, edinburgh and glasgow
Original post by Atlas99
I think it’s just because I live in a small town and I’ve never been to a city before. I like Newcastle because even though it’s a city it’s quite compact.

If you're aspiring to work in a city law firm you'll have to get used to coping with great big scary cities.

(Original post by PQ)
Also worth pointing out that Exeter and Newcastle both have a much higher intake of private school students than Leeds/Manchester. For some people that’s important to feeling comfortable (in either direction).

and stepping out of your comfort zone can be a positive thing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending