The Student Room Group

Man kept in freezing garden shed as slave for 4 years’

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waldorf67
That is such a twisted perspective.

“Throwing money” at “it” does believe it or not, solve problems. I think it’s downright hilarious that you are so ignorant to that.

Firstly, how does a government detect modern slavery? It takes resources, and man power. It takes multiple operations across the country because of the organisational nature of many modern slavery cases.

In other words, it requires funding. The police commissioner only the other day was saying how we are struggling to tackle violent crime in our streets, let alone non-violent cases such as modern slavery.

Do I need to quote the statistics for cuts to our police force? To our reduction in police officers on the streets? Please inform me, please educate me, into how this would not effect the governments ability to detect modern slavery?

And like I said earlier, I’m only targeting detection and prosecution here. Prevention is an entirely different board game, which is also affected by cuts to our economy.

You honestly do not understand what a laissez-faire attitude is. In fact a larger government, with more resources and manpower to target specific concerns, is the exact opposite of a laissez-faire attitude.

You’ve still remained completely unable to explain why a larger police force with more resources will have absolutely no impact on modern slavery? I’m all ears.

The answer lies in your statement “other people’s money”. In other words you do not like the thought of the “tax payer’s” hard earned cash being used to fright crime and essentially protect people’s well-being. Apart from your own of course :wink:

Money is useful when you have the right strategy in place. Otherwise you are wasting money and not solving the problem.

With the current state of the police force, I have little confidence that they will be willing or capable of tackling the problem, especially as minorities make up a large proportion of the culprits. So if rape wasn't enough to motivate them to catch criminals, I don't see this will be enough.

I'm not interested in any arguments regarding police cuts. At the end of the day when it comes to victimising people for tweeting "offensive comments" or harassing right wing political commentators, all of a sudden there is an endless pool of resources available. So before parting with any additional hard earned money, I would prefer that money be redirected from time wasting activities, and put to good use that way.

We don't get a refund when the government waste money on failed projects and their proposed tactics should be demonstrated using already currently available funds before additional funding is authorised.

I'm sure you'd agree that victims of modern slavery deserve more than having their plight used as a poltical tool to garner more funding for pork barrel projects and misguided attempts to solve issues the establishment haven't taken the time to fully understand.
The easiest way of preventing this type of crime is not to allow such people into the country in the first place .

Growing up the the 1960s and 70s I dont think I heard of one such case .

I don't recall hearing about blacks and knife crime in London. ..6 this week alone .
I never heard of one Pakistani grooming scandal either.
This countries standards have fell apart over the last 40 years.
Original post by Jebedee
Money is useful when you have the right strategy in place. Otherwise you are wasting money and not solving the problem.

With the current state of the police force, I have little confidence that they will be willing or capable of tackling the problem, especially as minorities make up a large proportion of the culprits. So if rape wasn't enough to motivate them to catch criminals, I don't see this will be enough.

I'm not interested in any arguments regarding police cuts. At the end of the day when it comes to victimising people for tweeting "offensive comments" or harassing right wing political commentators, all of a sudden there is an endless pool of resources available. So before parting with any additional hard earned money, I would prefer that money be redirected from time wasting activities, and put to good use that way.

We don't get a refund when the government waste money on failed projects and their proposed tactics should be demonstrated using already currently available funds before additional funding is authorised.

I'm sure you'd agree that victims of modern slavery deserve more than having their plight used as a poltical tool to garner more funding for pork barrel projects and misguided attempts to solve issues the establishment haven't taken the time to fully understand.

Yeah but you’re completely retracting your argument now.
I did not say that money is the perfect solution even with poor strategies in place, I simply said that poor funding will reduce successs in detection and prevention.

What is more likely to yield poor results, a less effective strategy and poor funding, or a less effective strategy and good funding? The quality of strategy is incidental to my argument. Because unless the organisation is completely ineffective at 0%, more funding will always lead to improvement.

See now your attitudes is coming across, as opposed to argument. What with statements such as “minorities being the main culprits”?
Original post by Johnny English
The easiest way of preventing this type of crime is not to allow such people into the country in the first place .

Growing up the the 1960s and 70s I dont think I heard of one such case .

I don't recall hearing about blacks and knife crime in London. ..6 this week alone .
I never heard of one Pakistani grooming scandal either.
This countries standards have fell apart over the last 40 years.

In the 60s and 70s pedophilia wasn’t even a recognised term.

Good times hey!
Fat *****. Jail them so they can be dealt with inside
Yeah but you’re completely retracting your argument now.
I did not say that money is the perfect solution even with poor strategies in place, I simply said that poor funding will reduce successs in detection and prevention.

What is more likely to yield poor results, a less effective strategy and poor funding, or a less effective strategy and good funding? The quality of strategy is incidental to my argument. Because unless the organisation is completely ineffective at 0%, more funding will always lead to improvement.

See now your attitudes is coming across, as opposed to argument. What with statements such as “minorities being the main culprits”?

However the common calls for more funding tend to come from Corbynista types who have no plan in place so it's a win win. Either they fix the problem and get money, or fail and get money.

If I apply for a business loan I have to demonstrate how it will be profitable to pay back the loan. You don't get to demand money up front before you have the plan.

I'm not backtracking on anything. As I said they can channel funds from non crime fighting, into this issue.

Do you really think indigenous brits are the main culprits? How many do you think have connections with impoverished foreigners who can't speak English?
cold world (pun unintended)
Well it possibly would do as people on the fringes of society i.e., borderline homeless are struggling more than ever.
It is these people who are also likely to fall into modern slavery rings.

Modern slavery can be something as simple as collecting “charity” bags or working at a car wash.
A person on the verge of homelessness would quite easily take up an offer to work in such places. Especially when considering many modern slavery gangs provide payment via accommodation (albeit very poor living conditions).

a) In almost every single slavery case no normal person has signed themselves off to servitude just to live in **** accomodation. There is almost always something the slaver is supplying to the victim to feed their pre-existing addiction such as alcohol or drugs

b. Have you got a source to link the decrease in public funds to modern day slavery cases increasing or is this mere speculation?
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
a) In almost every single slavery case no normal person has signed themselves off to servitude just to live in **** accomodation. There is almost always something the slaver is supplying to the victim to feed their pre-existing addiction such as alcohol or drugs

b. Have you got a source to link the decrease in public funds to modern day slavery cases increasing or is this mere speculation?

How would one collect data on the number of undetected modern slavery cases, when they are undetected? ...

Do you have data to back up your theory that no individual under modern day slavery has/ will accept poor accommodation without being a drug addict? I work in investigation and I’ve had colleagues work in cases involving modern slavery and tax fraud, and actually it is pretty common. You’ve imagined this notion of what modern slavery is, without any experience or actual knowledge on the matter.
(edited 5 years ago)

The reality of modern day slavery and the manipulation/coercion involved is a more complex than your simplistic and naive view.

I encourage you to educate yourself on the matter than you wouldn't come across as so ignorant.

Modern slavery cases can be broken down into five groups:-

(a) What used to be called "white slavery"' women (mostly) trafficked for sex. There was an enormous effort against this put in by the League of Nations between the wars. It got out of hand following the collapse of the Iron Curtain.

(b) Illegal immigrants paying back the (neverending) costs being trafficked. The point about this is that it is seeking to immigrate that creates the slavery.

(c) Working for payment in drugs or sometimes alcohol. This includes very many non-trafficked prostitutes.

(d) Other debt bondage. That includes victims of loan sharks and minor drug dealers who have suffered some commercial misfortune, but it also includes family debt relationships arising abroad.

(e) Employment of the mentally impaired for board, lodging and (sometimes) pocket-money.

Many of the most shocking cases are within (e). This has always gone on, sometimes within families but what has brought it to the fore has been the National Minimum Wage. It is harder to hide the Ag Lab or women providing domestic service, now there is an obligation to pay in money.
Our local shop and off licence was raided after staff were found sleeping in the back room . In the past illegals have been found working there .
The moral of the story is immigration in this particular case but not solely the reason . Its far more complicated and intricate than that .
Access the road from me a rented house was used as cannabis factory the police raided it and save four people from slavery two men and two teenage boys from Vietnam.
To my knowledge he wasn't a slave in the healthy mental capacity sense. He was enslaved in the first place because of his poor mental health.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending