I now have no money or food for 2 months.. what am i going to do? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Nearly all my sf is gone. I have £50 to my name, I still need to pay my phone bill for next month which is £36 (I won’t even have enough to pay for Decembers bill) and I need to save the rest for when I travel back to London during Christmas break. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I can’t really get a demanding job as I’m still recovering from an operation on my leg.
My fridge and cupboards are basically empty! I have cereal but no milk, i don’t even have enough to buy sanitary towels for December. I’ve got enough for this month! I have about 5 meal prepped bags of chicken in my freezer and a bag of frozen king prawns. I have some frozen fruit, one can of tuna, one small bag of rice, and a 2 packets of pasta which are nearly finished. I don’t know how I’m going to survive for the next two months. Plus I’m anaemic and not eating makes me tired and weak. I was even considering not paying my phone bill and just using the money to buy food and other necessities but wouldn’t that affect my credit score?? , please help. I’d rather not ask my family for personal reasons so please don’t comment that as a suggestion.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have credit cards or a student overdraft?
Your university may offer short term loans from a hardship fund.
Dollwannabe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you'd have to go to a food bank..
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Nearly all my sf is gone. I have £50 to my name, I still need to pay my phone bill for next month which is £36 (I won’t even have enough to pay for Decembers bill) and I need to save the rest for when I travel back to London during Christmas break. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I can’t really get a demanding job as I’m still recovering from an operation on my leg.
My fridge and cupboards are basically empty! I have cereal but no milk, i don’t even have enough to buy sanitary towels for December. I’ve got enough for this month! I have about 5 meal prepped bags of chicken in my freezer and a bag of frozen king prawns. I have some frozen fruit, one can of tuna, one small bag of rice, and a 2 packets of pasta which are nearly finished. I don’t know how I’m going to survive for the next two months. Plus I’m anaemic and not eating makes me tired and weak. I was even considering not paying my phone bill and just using the money to buy food and other necessities but wouldn’t that affect my credit score?? , please help. I’d rather not ask my family for personal reasons so please don’t comment that as a suggestion.
No point lecturing you about money management - it's a bit late now by the sounds of it. However, if you have little money and cannot rely on family to make up any shortfall, why are you paying £432 a year on a mobile phone contract?

Have you approached the university to get all the hardship funds you're entitled to? What about a short-term emergency loan from your university (they often do this). Contact your Student Services without delay, if you've not already.
zp021103
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Firstly, dont worry about water. You can get that in public toilets if it goes that far. Just stock up on high calorie foods especially carbohydrates. If it comes to it go out on the streets and beg.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Do you have credit cards or a student overdraft?
Your university may offer short term loans from a hardship fund.
I’ve already used my overdraft
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're not on giffgaff then your phone bill really did screw you over
TheImpossibleOne
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you got friends that you can rely on? I wouldn't normally recommend this, but if you are desperate, I would suggest asking them to lend you some money with the promise that you will pay them back when you are financially stable enough to do so.

Perhaps you cannot get a physically demanding job, but I would definitely recommend getting some kind of job to raise your finances. Ask for help wherever you can. All the best.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all, you don’t need to lecture me about my money management as you have no idea what I’ve spent my money on or how much money i even had to begin with. Quit making stupid assumptions and just answer the flipping post. I usually keep up to date with my phone bill. I’ve always paid it on time as I’ve always had the money, it’s only now I’m running low on money due to all the expenses of rent and buying resources for university which has taken quite a lot out of my loan. There’s nothing wrong with how much i pay for my phone contact so stfu! And no i haven’t!
Don't be so bloody rude, child! It's not my fault you can't manage your money properly.
Last edited by Reality Check; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
First of all, you don’t need to lecture me about my money management as you have no idea what I’ve spent my money on or how much money i even had to begin with. Quit making stupid assumptions and just answer the flipping post. I usually keep up to date with my phone bill. I’ve always paid it on time as I’ve always had the money, it’s only now I’m running low on money due to all the expenses of rent and buying resources for university which has taken quite a lot out of my loan. There’s nothing wrong with how much i pay for my phone contact so stfu! And no i haven’t!
And another thing, i never said that i can’t rely on my family, i said I’d rather not ask them!
frostfly
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
Do you have any friends who can lend you money for short term?

If not, I would apply for a student bank account ASAP to get their overdraft. Would recommend HSBC.
DonAchille
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And another thing, i never said that i can’t rely on my family, i said I’d rather not ask them! Dumb idiot
You probably should ask your family. Worrying about money at uni is not going to end well.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And another thing, i never said that i can’t rely on my family, i said I’d rather not ask them! Dumb idiot
If you are just going to insult people that are trying to help you sort yourself out then I hope you go through this difficulty and learn from it. Stop being so ungrateful and acting like a child being told off.
CloudySkies238
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there anyone at uni you can speak to? (not old enough to go yet so sorry if its a dumb question)
Go to your local food bank and try and get something from there - who knows they may even have sanitary products there. Try going to food shops late at night too - thats when they have reduced items. To get items you could even sell some stuff that you don't want anymore.
Sorry its vague and I hope your situation improves
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Reality Check offered you helpful advice, so it's out of order for you to start firing insults like this. I understand you must be frustrated about your situation but you need to help yourself too. Get a good night's sleep and come back to this post in the morning, re read the advice and take it on board.

I really hope you find a solution and you get sorted soon.
Porridgefluff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you change your phone contract to a £7.50 a month one, then you will have much more money for food. That will give you more than enough texts, minutes, and data.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sarahmichellexo)
Is there anyone at uni you can speak to? (not old enough to go yet so sorry if its a dumb question)
Go to your local food bank and try and get something from there - who knows they may even have sanitary products there. Try going to food shops late at night too - thats when they have reduced items. To get items you could even sell some stuff that you don't want anymore.
Sorry its vague and I hope your situation improves
See, this is how you answer a question ! Thank you for being understanding and so helpful X
ErinaNakiri78
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dont get a phone £36 month if you cant afford it, its clearly not worth it
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Shut tf up u psyole! I’m putting myself on the line and being vulnerable by asking people for help and they’re being sarcastic and making stupid assumptions. If they can be disrespectful to my situation then so will i. Being sarcastic and making assumptions to someone during a sensitive situation is not being helpful, that some backhanded “kindness” and a way to make themselves look big and belittle me. All they needed to do was offer their advice. I’m not acting ungrateful or like a child in anyway so pass off!
Okay, firstly calm down. Everyone here is trying to give you advice so by insulting them and resorting to language like that isn’t helping. You need to contact your university if they do a hardship fund and see how they can help you. Try community fridges or food banks, some people like the idea of finding coupons to get money off their products or even finding free items.

Alternatively there may be things you can do around your university as they sometimes ask for your time in exchange for money like studies etc.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wilykit

They forgot that 'anonymous' isn't actually 'anonymous'...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads