The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering courses & personal statement

I want to apply for aerospace at uni (2019) but I realised that I don't have much history to prove that I am interested in it. For example, I haven't been to any extracurricular courses outside of school that I can mention that relates to aerospace. Any tips for this?????
(edited 5 years ago)
To clarify, is this for 2019 entry i.e. this UCAS application cycle?

It is still possible to join Air Cadets, so I would ask your local squadron about this.
You're usually only allowed to join as a Cadet before your 17th birthday but after that, you are still able to join as a volunteer.

Work experience, or interests in general, don't need to specifically be for the aerospace industry.
An interest in mechanical engineering/engineering in general is enough to show an interest in the discipline.

See if there are any companies nearby related to engineering that offer work experience.

Wider reading is also an area that you can directly affect. Perhaps find a topic within the industry that fascinates you and explore it further by reading about the subject. Likewise, books can be a good place to start.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JaredzzC
To clarify, is this for 2019 entry i.e. this UCAS application cycle?

It is still possible to join Air Cadets, so I would ask your local squadron about this.
You're usually only allowed to join as a Cadet before your 17th birthday but after that, you are still able to join as a volunteer.

Work experience, or interests in general, don't need to specifically be for the aerospace industry.
An interest in mechanical engineering/engineering in general is enough to show an interest in the discipline.

See if there are any companies nearby related to engineering that offer work experience.

Wider reading is also an area that you can directly affect. Perhaps find a topic within the industry that fascinates you and explore it further by reading about the subject. Likewise, books can be a good place to start.

Thank you for your response! Yes, this is for 2019 through UCAS. I will take into consideration of the suggestions. Quick question: do you study engineering at University?
Original post by johnc_1
Thank you for your response! Yes, this is for 2019 through UCAS. I will take into consideration of the suggestions. Quick question: do you study engineering at University?

Currently at University of Manchester, going on to study Aerospace Engineering.
Reply 4
Currently at University of Manchester, going on to study Aerospace Engineering.

Which other universities did you apply to and received offers from? And also, when did you apply?
Original post by johnc_1
Which other universities did you apply to and received offers from? And also, when did you apply?

My application history is a bit all over the place, but the short story is :

Manchester
Nottingham
Loughborough
Sheffield
Liverpool

Received offers from all 5.

Had to do an interview at Loughborough and a Maths&Physics test at Manchester.

Applied in 2017/2018
Reply 6
My application history is a bit all over the place, but the short story is :

Manchester
Nottingham
Loughborough
Sheffield
Liverpool

Received offers from all 5.

Had to do an interview at Loughborough and a Maths&Physics test at Manchester.

Applied in 2017/2018

Nice! What grades did you receive?
Original post by johnc_1
Nice! What grades did you receive?

This is my downfall, unfortunately, lol.
Predicted AAB but I ended up getting some pretty horrific grades (excuse me for not mentioning the specifics).

It led to me having to take the Foundation Year this year at UoM, so my Year 1 for Aerospace will start next year.
This is my downfall, unfortunately, lol.
Predicted AAB but I ended up getting some pretty horrific grades (excuse me for not mentioning the specifics).

It led to me having to take the Foundation Year this year at UoM, so my Year 1 for Aerospace will start next year.

Hi, I would also need to take a foundation year too for an aerospace degree, how are you finding it so far?

Good luck with studies!
This is the first paragraph from my personal statement:

I knew I wanted to study Aeronautical Engineering ever since I watched a SpaceX launch in January 2017. Seeing the spent booster come back from space and land on a barge in the middle of the ocean filled me with awe, and so I immediately researched the steps I needed to take to get to a position where I can work in that field. This event inspired me so much that I was too eager to wait and completed a 7-week Introduction to Aeronautical Engineering MOOC. The course gave me a valuable insight into topics such as how aerofoils generate lift and the fundamental aerodynamic concepts of flight. This confirmed even further that this is the path I wish to take.

I applied to Sheffield, Lboro, Glasgow, Bristol, and Imperial. Offers received are:
Sheffield MEng - AAA
Glasgow MEng - AAA
Lboro MEng - A*AA

Still waiting on Bristol and Imp, but I think I'll get a contextual offer from Bristol shortly - they've put tons of people on hold.

You don't need to show a deep interest in aero really, just show them you have knowledge of the subject (because that's why most applicants get rejected). As long as you can back up a knowledge of the subject with maths & science awards, clubs, anything that will show them you're gonna be competent at engineering, and then add a touch of personality in there that makes you different to the hundreds if not thousands of other applicants and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply

Latest