The Student Room Group

car insurance

Hi!
So basically my friend who can not speak english proper he got his insurance done by a broker who gave the wrong information about him such as the email address,home address phone number etc.Therefore His insurance got cancelled after 2 months however he didn't get notified about it so recently the police caught him and he Received a letter for £300 and 6 points,However we decided to take to court as to begin with its the brokers mistake and secondly the company itself they didn't not check the documents properly such as the licence whenever a insurance company insures you the first thing they ask for is the licence number however he was born in 1995 but in the document they wrote 1985 which means they did not check document properly,Secondly they clearly stated on the certificate of insurance that the insurance was from 22 aug 2018 to 22 aug 2019 which mean it was direct debited for one year which shows that if he want to run away from the insurance payments he would never have set a direct debit.
I just wanted to know do i have strong ground to take it to court and also would i need a solicitor to represent me in court or can it be done without a solicitor as i want to speak for myself.
Reply 1
Original post by natashabk
Hi!
So basically my friend who can not speak english proper he got his insurance done by a broker who gave the wrong information about him such as the email address,home address phone number etc.Therefore His insurance got cancelled after 2 months however he didn't get notified about it so recently the police caught him and he Received a letter for £300 and 6 points,However we decided to take to court as to begin with its the brokers mistake and secondly the company itself they didn't not check the documents properly such as the licence whenever a insurance company insures you the first thing they ask for is the licence number however he was born in 1995 but in the document they wrote 1985 which means they did not check document properly,Secondly they clearly stated on the certificate of insurance that the insurance was from 22 aug 2018 to 22 aug 2019 which mean it was direct debited for one year which shows that if he want to run away from the insurance payments he would never have set a direct debit.
I just wanted to know do i have strong ground to take it to court and also would i need a solicitor to represent me in court or can it be done without a solicitor as i want to speak for myself.

You said it was your friend.. then you said it was you..

You have no grounds - you drove without insurance, so you are guilty.
Original post by natashabk
Hi!

It is your responsibility to ensure that your insurance is correct, not the broker's or the insurance company's.

Obviously, the broker should not be changing facts to win business, but it's still your fault for not checking the documents. If you never received confirmation of the insurance, you should have stopped driving.

I'm not sure who you're taking to court - you do not have a viable defence to driving without insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending