Driving instructors - be careful Watch

Zdacres83
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Be very careful of Dodgy driving instructors!

I have had a total of 4 driving instructors, I finally have hope for my 5th.
Ive used a range of companies from well established and Local and it does not make a difference.
Please look out for Dodgy instructors!

State your expectations from the first lesson, I want to achieve this, or I would like to focus on this. This gives them clear benchmarks. A good instructor will help you work towards these if they are realistic goals.
Use your first lesson as a test run for your driving instructor.
Make sure you can understand them clearly as this does not correct itself as time goes on.
Look out for instructors that use their phones, If they are using their phones they are not fully invested in your time therefore you should not pay them for theirs.
Look out for instructors that talk to much about unnecessary things this will eat away at your time, try to divert the conversation back to the driving.
Early signs of bad manners is usually a foreshadowing of things to come e.g. lateness, absence, rudeness, lack of motivation for your goals.
Their bad habits can sometimes distract you, if you see early signs of bad habits that will put you off of your driving, it will only get worst!
Make sure they give you advise on how to improve before the next lesson, ask questions and if they shy away from it let them know that your asking because you want to improve before the next lesson.
Don't be afraid to speak up, if you feel like you should be reversing then say, if you want to do a parallel park then say.
Try to go through a recommendation of someone who has passed at least you no there is prospect.

Any question message me!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately quite a few people encounter the odd dodgy instructor.
Good tips though.
FarhanHalim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s best to just ask a friend what instructor they used and go from there instead of picking out one from the internet who you don’t know much about. At my school a lot of my friends used the same guy so I took lessons from him.
Koko19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zdacres83)
Be very careful of Dodgy driving instructors!

I have had a total of 4 driving instructors, I finally have hope for my 5th.
Ive used a range of companies from well established and Local and it does not make a difference.
Please look out for Dodgy instructors!

State your expectations from the first lesson, I want to achieve this, or I would like to focus on this. This gives them clear benchmarks. A good instructor will help you work towards these if they are realistic goals.
Use your first lesson as a test run for your driving instructor.
Make sure you can understand them clearly as this does not correct itself as time goes on.
Look out for instructors that use their phones, If they are using their phones they are not fully invested in your time therefore you should not pay them for theirs.
Look out for instructors that talk to much about unnecessary things this will eat away at your time, try to divert the conversation back to the driving.
Early signs of bad manners is usually a foreshadowing of things to come e.g. lateness, absence, rudeness, lack of motivation for your goals.
Their bad habits can sometimes distract you, if you see early signs of bad habits that will put you off of your driving, it will only get worst!
Make sure they give you advise on how to improve before the next lesson, ask questions and if they shy away from it let them know that your asking because you want to improve before the next lesson.
Don't be afraid to speak up, if you feel like you should be reversing then say, if you want to do a parallel park then say.
Try to go through a recommendation of someone who has passed at least you no there is prospect.

Any question m
I just stumbled upon this thread, thanks ever so much! Now I have learnt my lesson. I had an AA instructor in London called Shahid Razzaq. God he was terrible. He was constantly playing YouTube music on and off ,Whatsapping his friends and on Instagram. His eyes was glued to his phone most of the 20 lessons I had booked. He would drive me around the same blocks and would have huge melt downs about his personal life and his unfulfilling job. Every lesson I was dreading to get in the car with him as he would flick through music.

As a result, I would lose concentration and make mistakes. Picking up calls and disappearing for 2 months and going on holiday refusing to book me in after each lesson caused me to stall my progress. After my lesson finished he would text me "I'm outside", not even knowing what student he has next. What was extremely frustrating is his sudden burst of anger as he never taught me to park and he expected me to know it. "Why did you do that for?" (Sic). Also another grotesque thing was the state of the car which was an open Costa cup which made it difficult for me to use the hand brake. His constant picking and pulling his hair strands off. Not to mention he was late 10 minutes for a lesson. Every week I would have to chase him up for lessons as he refused to book after each lesson. I put a complaint about this to AA and Iv seen him on the road still, which means many student are in danger and obviously turned a blind eye. Very scary! Stay away from AA they seem to love instructors who use phones. I went with another company and they don't use phones and Iv already been taught parallel parking after 2 lessons. Illegal and unprofessional! Don't put up with AA
Last edited by Koko19; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Becareful with AA driving school in particular they take all your money and only employ instructors who used phones! And they know all about it but still have these instructors on the road! Corrupt driving school!
princessmaire80
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I tried booking with AA and they just kept saying ‘we don’t have any automatic instructors, why can’t you learn in a manual’ Er- because of my disabilities my doctor has said I’m not physically capable of driving a manual!
I went with another driving school and I’ve found an absolute gem of an instructor. He has the patience of a saint (he needs it where I’m concerned) He only looks at his phone or iPad at the end of the lesson to check and confirm when the next lesson is, constantly coaches and guides me, and can tell when I’m struggling with pain or anxiety and need to stop. Yes he chats about various things at times but only at appropriate times and I find that reassuring. He’s a genuinely nice gentleman and an excellent instructor. My first instructor when I was 18 was ex-RAF and very much sergeant major type- I was scared stiff of him which is the reason I think that I never got very far! My current instructor is very different and works with a lot of pupils with disabilities- he said that no two people will be the same and he uses different approaches with everyone which I like. Admittedly yes he does cancel very late sometimes but he has health issues too which I totally understand. I would rather he cancel, especially if he has something that can be caught as I’ve got a lowered immune system.
He always gives me clear feedback and tells me where I need to concentrate on, and shows me how I can improve.
I know I’m extremely lucky- I hit pot luck with my instructor and I know there’s some out there who aren’t great. I knew it was going to take me longer to pass and it was important I had an instructor who had patience with me- and my instructor fortunately does.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by princessmaire80)
I tried booking with AA and they just kept saying ‘we don’t have any automatic instructors, why can’t you learn in a manual’ Er- because of my disabilities my doctor has said I’m not physically capable of driving a manual!
I went with another driving school and I’ve found an absolute gem of an instructor. He has the patience of a saint (he needs it where I’m concerned) He only looks at his phone or iPad at the end of the lesson to check and confirm when the next lesson is, constantly coaches and guides me, and can tell when I’m struggling with pain or anxiety and need to stop. Yes he chats about various things at times but only at appropriate times and I find that reassuring. He’s a genuinely nice gentleman and an excellent instructor. My first instructor when I was 18 was ex-RAF and very much sergeant major type- I was scared stiff of him which is the reason I think that I never got very far! My current instructor is very different and works with a lot of pupils with disabilities- he said that no two people will be the same and he uses different approaches with everyone which I like. Admittedly yes he does cancel very late sometimes but he has health issues too which I totally understand. I would rather he cancel, especially if he has something that can be caught as I’ve got a lowered immune system.
He always gives me clear feedback and tells me where I need to concentrate on, and shows me how I can improve.
I know I’m extremely lucky- I hit pot luck with my instructor and I know there’s some out there who aren’t great. I knew it was going to take me longer to pass and it was important I had an instructor who had patience with me- and my instructor fortunately does.
Super happy for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (151)
19.26%
Labour (397)
50.64%
Liberal Democrats (109)
13.9%
Green Party (41)
5.23%
Brexit Party (10)
1.28%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.51%
SNP (14)
1.79%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.77%
SDLP (1)
0.13%
Ulster Unionist (4)