The Student Room Group

Useful skills to learn for IB

Hi all,
How far of an asset is learning python to increase my chances of getting into IB?
Are there any other skills that would be useful to learn, that I could put on my CV to increase my chances ie excel?
Excel is deffiently a must for any job in banking! However don't just write it on your CV thinking it will be as easy as word: spend some time and use excel for mundane tasks, such as what you spent in the week and make graphs out of it. Just get comfortable!

Learning python or any type of coding in and of itself will bot help you get into investment banking, however the problem solving skills in that subject may help you. Look into things like criticial thinking, and ehtics and decision making. They are more interested in people who can think on there feet and know what they are talking about. What i've started to do recently is go on linked in and litteraly ask people at big banks like Duetche Bank or IBM or whatever, and ask what do you look for for a new recruit. The responce I always get back is do whatever you love, and focus really hard at what you love doing! They pretty much want geeks!

However the best thing that helps you get into IB is what uni you go to, if you get a 1st and what course you are doing. You have to remember at top banks there are 10,000 people going for 1 trading desk! And once you get into IB you are on a 3 year 'sunset' contract where after 3 years you may not get the job.
Not particulary. The only distriction they really look at is between Oxbridge, Rusel or red brick uni's and others. If you go to oxbridge they will come to you! But if you're not so fortunate to go to oxbridge do not fear. Do whatever you love and do it to the best of your ability. The best thing in my opinion is go into the course you want to do, not what you think would help you for your career, then look at doing a masters that applies to banking. That really puts you in good sted!
taking it up the ass with a smile on your face and finishing emails with “let us know if you have any other comments, will be happy to implement at 4am and further into the weekend”

otherwise be personable
don't study law if you don't want to - but statistically speaking targets > semi-targets and non-targets
Original post by abdelismail31
Woah, sounds so fun! - Do you think doing Law at a target is better than doing finance at a semi target in regards to IB.(cant do finance at a target bcs i dont have alevel maths)

^ the above - also your course is irrelevant for IB
Original post by abdelismail31
I've heard that the course doesn't matter, as long as you're in a target/semi.

just wondering if you can read and understand the word 'irrelevant' ???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending