Border Force Officer - October 2018 Applications Watch

john240488
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello

Can anyone help me who's applying for the Border Force Officer role (October 2018). I've completed the two online tests and passed and now the application wants me provide 500 word statement on:

'Give an example where you have identified a potential risk that may have caused harm if you had not taken action. What did you say and why?’

It seems so simple but i'm used to the competency based approach to civil service applications. This states it's strength based which is new to me. I have number of examples to give but don't have any guidelines on what strengths they are looking for in the example. Put simply what are they looking for from this question?

Cheers
Last edited by john240488; 2 months ago
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by john240488)
Hello

Can anyone help me who's applying for the Border Force Officer role (October 2018). I've completed the two online tests and passed and now the application wants me provide 500 word statement on:

'Give an example where you have identified a potential risk that may have caused harm if you had not taken action. What did you say and why?’

It seems so simple but i'm used to the competency based approach to civil service applications. This states it's strength based which is new to me. I have number of examples to give but don't have any guidelines on what strengths they are looking for in the example. Put simply what are they looking for from this question?

Cheers
Moved to Public sector
Seniorita
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Try working it on STAR .. situation, Task etc
akov
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Really important to read the candidate pack and job description to enable you to use the buzz words that they are looking for when answering this question. You have to do a lot of self reflection to answer strength based questions.
harjotdhami
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I applied for the exact role! I used STAR example. I got through to the interview which is next week! Any help would be good
john240488
Rep:
?
(Original post by harjotdhami)
I applied for the exact role! I used STAR example. I got through to the interview which is next week! Any help would be good

Yeah I used the STAR approach in the end!! i'm still waiting to hear about the outcome still. I submit the application about 10 days ago. How long did it take you from submission to hear about your interview? and best of luck for it too!
Last edited by john240488; 2 months ago
harjotdhami
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah I used the STAR approach in the end!! i'm still waiting to hear about the outcome still. I submit the application about 10 days ago. How long did it take you from submission to hear about your interview? and best of luck for it too!
Hmm I think no more than 2 weeks actually! Do you know what sort of things I could look into for interview because I feel I'm going in blind!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
john240488
Rep:
?
Hmm I think no more than 2 weeks actually! Do you know what sort of things I could look into for interview because I feel I'm going in blind!
When I looked into it online and on all the supporting application info it seems it's a blend of both behavioural and strength based questions. I think the behavioural side is based on the old Civil Service competency framework (STAR) and the strength based are more 'quick fire' questions were you can't really prepare. They're designed to uncover what drives you etc. I think they're more like 'What's more important the small details or the bigger picture'. I think really understanding what they're looking for matched with your own strengths is a good start.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ccess-profiles

That link has all the official information on civil service behaviours and strength based criteria.

Did your application online state 'Application being reviewed' after submission and prior to your interview invitation?
harjotdhami
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
When I looked into it online and on all the supporting application info it seems it's a blend of both behavioural and strength based questions. I think the behavioural side is based on the old Civil Service competency framework (STAR) and the strength based are more 'quick fire' questions were you can't really prepare. They're designed to uncover what drives you etc. I think they're more like 'What's more important the small details or the bigger picture'. I think really understanding what they're looking for matched with your own strengths is a good start.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ccess-profiles

That link has all the official information on civil service behaviours and strength based criteria.

Did your application online state 'Application being reviewed' after submission and prior to your interview invitation?
Thank you for this!!!

Yeah it did say application being reviewed. I got an interview for Heathrow but I had also applied for the central region the Midlands area where I'm located. So I'm hoping I get that interview too!

Which location did you apply for?
john240488
Rep:
?
Thank you for this!!!

Yeah it did say application being reviewed. I got an interview for Heathrow but I had also applied for the central region the Midlands area where I'm located. So I'm hoping I get that interview too!

Which location did you apply for?
I'm the northern region, Liverpool. I only applied for the one location but I also applied for the assistant officer role.

Best of luck with your interview!! Fingers crossed I get one too. Please let us know how it goes!!
Zeicho
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve applied for assistant role at Liverpool/Manchester. I’m still at the ‘application being reviewed’ stage - fingers crossed! I applied Friday before last, so if it’s a 2 week wait, I might hear back at the end of this week. I’ll let you know if I do.
john240488
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Zeicho)
I’ve applied for assistant role at Liverpool/Manchester. I’m still at the ‘application being reviewed’ stage - fingers crossed! I applied Friday before last, so if it’s a 2 week wait, I might hear back at the end of this week. I’ll let you know if I do.
Yeah great! I'm under the impression that interviews will be allocated pretty quick so if we hear anything this week hopefully we'll be interviewed next week! I'll put it on here if I hear anything.
Zeicho
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah great! I'm under the impression that interviews will be allocated pretty quick so if we hear anything this week hopefully we'll be interviewed next week! I'll put it on here if I hear anything
Me too. I’m praying it’ll be a swift process - I’ve an offer for a police staff role on the table pending vetting etc but this would be my preference so I want the option soon if it’s going to happen!
Gradjobhunter1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone heard back my application is still being reviewed and it’s been more than 2 weeks?
harjotdhami
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just want to update you guys. Due to personal circumstances, I'm having my interview rescheduled which was no problem for them! They're going to email me a new slot of times and dates soon. Also, they mentioned they're going to prioritise people who scored 5 or over for interviews.
john240488
Rep:
?
Just want to update you guys. Due to personal circumstances, I'm having my interview rescheduled which was no problem for them! They're going to email me a new slot of times and dates soon. Also, they mentioned they're going to prioritise people who scored 5 or over for interviews.
Appreciate that update. Fingers crossed for a 5+ for me Haha. I know 4 is a pass and the maximum is 7 so I suppose 5 isn't too bad.
harjotdhami
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Appreciate that update. Fingers crossed for a 5+ for me Haha. I know 4 is a pass and the maximum is 7 so I suppose 5 isn't too bad.
Yeah I got a 5 myself so that's a guaranteed interview. They do take into an account of your online scores and tbh mine were average around 60 percent so don't think that should be too much of a problem
Gradjobhunter1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My scores where pretty low I got about 50 percent on average don’t know what my score is on sift yet how did you find that out?
Gradjobhunter1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe it’s different for each area?
john240488
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gradjobhunter1)
My scores where pretty low I got about 50 percent on average don’t know what my score is on sift yet how did you find that out?
On other Civil Service applications I've done I found out by selecting the application you want and select the 'feeback' tab. That's were all your scores are stored throughout. However they can choose as and when to put them on. Usually as soon as you've been notified as successful or unsuccessful at each stage, the scores show. I.e our online test results show now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise