The Student Room Group

Advice for GCSE English Language paper

Hi TSR forum,

I have an English Language GCSE exam next week, and I was just looking for some advice on how to get more marks. I am aiming for a grade 7/8 (A), so I want to get as many marks as possible. What type of things are the examiners looking for? Are there any specific language or structural features that will get me a higher mark?

I am fairly confident with all the basics, but I would just like to maximise my effectiveness.

Also, does anyone have tips for Paper 1 Question 5? (the one with the picture). I am generally quite good at creative writing, but I think I might struggle to finish it in the allotted time.

Thanks in advance :smile:
There are no high marks for using specific language or structural techniques. You need to be able to give a perceptive analyses since you're aiming for a grade 7/8. For question 5, you get high marks for sophisticated vocabulary and if they tell you to write stories, go with cyclical/circular narrative. That's where you get the big marks. Anyway, I'm aiming for at least a grade 5, so good luck and I also have the exam next week.
Reply 2
Original post by Keith124
For question 5, you get high marks for sophisticated vocabulary and if they tell you to write stories, go with cyclical/circular narrative. That's where you get the big marks. Anyway, I'm aiming for at least a grade 5, so good luck and I also have the exam next week.

For this question, you also get a hefty chunk of the marks available by using punctuation for effect (as well as correctly, of course). Also, you should go with your gut for stories. The circular/cyclical narrative is only one of the ways to skin the proverbial chicken for 'big' marks (as you put it), unless my narrative, which didn't include that structure, was marked by a crazy examiner.

May the odds be forever in your favour for Monday.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending