qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Mocks soon and i'm worried because i'm pretty good with most of biology, alright with physics, but just never have got and still don't get chemistry. In the last mocks we did in october, I got 19/70 in Biology, 38/70 in Physics, and 12/70 in chemistry (doing higher) We've been trying to get a science tutor but the first one i had didn't know what he was t alking about, and the one I was supposed to have has lost her voice and can't talk and needs an operation or something. I'm worried because i might not have enough points to stay on at sixth form.

I've tried watching videos and stuff, and I do revise hard with the textbooks, its just i really don't understand

I understand concepts such as endothermic and exothermic reaction, atomic structure etc but I don't know how to balance equaitons and most other stuff. i get the basic concepts but higher is really hard.

Any help?
jason0597
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here's what I suggest: Get a past paper, do it under strict timed conditions, mark it yourself, RAG rate it per question and then look at what questions you didn't answer correctly.
If you need any help with any questions feel free to ask me, but it has to be specific. I can't answer general questions about the whole of chemistry.
qwertyK
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by jason0597)
Here's what I suggest: Get a past paper, do it under strict timed conditions, mark it yourself, RAG rate it per question and then look at what questions you didn't answer correctly.
If you need any help with any questions feel free to ask me, but it has to be specific. I can't answer general questions about the whole of chemistry.
Done that before actually, got 12 again even thought it was a different paper. Hoping they will put me down to foundation. Does a 3 count on a higher paper? I know last year they made the pass a 3 because otherwise loads of people would have failed
LeChevalierMal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
>I don't know how to balance equaitons and most other stuff

This isnt a complex concept. If you are unable to or struggle to balance a stoiometic equation you will **really struggle** in higher, both in practicals and in theory as alot is built upon it. And going any further in science will be difficult to say the least.

The conecpt is simple, you need an equal ammout of each atom on each side of a chemical reaction. If this were untrue atoms would have to be created or changed (and outside of atomic physics this isnt going to happen).

Lets consider the decomposition of Diazomethane, dont worry so much about whats going on, what we are interested in is the stoichometery.

CH2N2 (g) -> N2 (g) + C2H4 (g)

When balancing an equation write two lists:

All the atoms on the reactant side side:
1 Carbon atom
2 Hydrogen atoms
2 Nitrogen atoms

Then do the same for the atoms on the product side:
2 Carbon atoms
4 Hydrogen atoms
2 Nitrogen atoms

--

You need to then add coefficents to ensure that the number of atoms on both sides are equal.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...s-introduction

has good resoucres on this and alot else.

__

On a broader point dont confine your learning to listening to a video or reading textbooks activly participate in it - attempt questions with open and closed books. And create revison notes in your own words and attempt to replicate these from memory.
jason0597
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are these Scottish highers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads