The Student Room Group

The Official 2019 Formula One Season Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
not surprised by Mick driving the car formerly belonging to Gasly, Leclerc and de Vrys. Nikita with ART was semi-expecting as he was with Force India (meaning arden was a path) until the takeover (and I doubt prema will want him considering Stroll owns the team). Max. Gunther might be in prema next year, unless Gelael is retained :|

Mazepin was ART in GP3. ART like to promote from within I think.
Gunther is off to Forumla E so it won’t be him. I’d stick a cheeky tenner on Callum Illot
Original post by Andrew97
Mazepin was ART in GP3. ART like to promote from within I think.
Gunther is off to Forumla E so it won’t be him. I’d stick a cheeky tenner on Callum Illot

Tis ART's modus operandi to promote from within drivers. Reason Leclerc didnt go ART is more to do with Ferrari rather than his choice but was known he was offered both ART and Prema.

Illot might be Charouz as they are supposed to be "the official ferrari academy squad" (then again could be at ART like you said due to their promote from within policy). Schwarzman could be in prema or Charouz &, if he is in f2 next year, armstrong in a similar boat (Zhou will likely go to f2 even though he doesnt deserve it). I have a suspicion Ahmed may be in Carlin next year for F2 or F3.

1 gp3 driver I want to see in f2 next year is Beckman, he seemed pretty quick during the 2nd part of the campaign and seems like he has potential (as long as he isnt with MP)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Tis ART's modus operandi to promote from within drivers. Reason Leclerc didnt go ART is more to do with Ferrari rather than his choice but was known he was offered both ART and Prema.

Illot might be Charouz as they are supposed to be "the official ferrari academy squad" (then again could be at ART like you said due to their promote from within policy). Schwarzman could be in prema or Charouz &, if he is in f2 next year, armstrong in a similar boat (Zhou will likely go to f2 even though he doesnt deserve it). I have a suspicion Ahmed may be in Carlin next year for F2 or F3.

1 gp3 driver I want to see in f2 next year is Beckman, he seemed pretty quick during the 2nd part of the campaign and seems like he has potential (as long as he isnt with MP)

The second ART seat (Alongside Mazepin) could be Aitken (retained) or Hubert from GP3.
Illot would go to Prema or Charouz as you mention.

Agreed on Beckmann, I have just worked out that he scored the most points from Spa onwards on the entire field.
Pedro Piquet could find himself in F2 due to his name.
The second ART seat (Alongside Mazepin) could be Aitken (retained) or Hubert from GP3.
Illot would go to Prema or Charouz as you mention.

Agreed on Beckmann, I have just worked out that he scored the most points from Spa onwards on the entire field.
Pedro Piquet could find himself in F2 due to his name.

imo aitken shouldnt be retained - was rubbish compared to Leclerc and Albon in 2015 and been dominated by Rusell this year (and been slower than fuoco in f2 & f3, albeit in both cases fuoco has 1 more year experience in both categories). Hubert looked good in 2nd half of gp3 last year and honestly thought he would be in the top 2.

Piquet has some speed but alesi should just go (chances are like pedro his name will help + he is a ferrari jr)
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, contrary to popular belief, Nyck de Vries will indeed be staying in F2 BUT will return to his GP3 squad ART. Nobuharu Matsushita (who was teammates with Vndoorne and Sirotkin in ART between 2015 & 2016) will be returning to the series after spending 1 year in Super Formula with the regining teams champions, Carlin. Nirei Fukuzumi and race winner Tadasuke Makino will be heading to japan for Super Formula.

the de vries decision I find very interesting as it was widely expected he would be joining audi in DTM and until recently, ART was in the DTM.

EDIT - Calderon is testing for Charouz
(edited 5 years ago)
Ferrari were fastest on both days in the post season test with Leclerc setting a fastest time of 1:36.450. Most teams were testing tyres as well as 2019 stuff so nothing can be gathered.

In terms of mileage, Toro Rosso and Mclaren had the most laps on the board, with Toro Rosso being the only team to record over 300 laps across both days.
Lucas Auer (nephew of gerhard Berger and dtm front runner for merc) and Harrison Newey (son of Adrian, British f4 runner up and Asian le mans series front runner) are all testing for Honda in super formula (with karthikeyan switching to super gt)
Original post by quasa
Lucas Auer (nephew of gerhard Berger and dtm front runner for merc) and Harrison Newey (son of Adrian, British f4 runner up and Asian le mans series front runner) are all testing for Honda in super formula (with karthikeyan switching to super gt)

Auer was good in DTM this year (before all Audi drivers became the slave of Rene Rast). But he wasn’t Impressive in Eurof3
Auer was good in DTM this year (before all Audi drivers became the slave of Rene Rast). But he wasn’t Impressive in Eurof3

auer was merc driver were he not? but he was decent in DTM (needed more consistency imo).

1st day of f2 post season test is over and it seems delatraz may be going to carlin (also he was fastest with them). F2 and F3 (formerly gp3) testing lineups are not always indicative fo who will be driving where in the following season, unless the drivers have been previously confirmed. As it stands, the speculative F2 2019 grid looks like this:

Carlin
1) Nobuharu Matsushita
2) Louis Delatraz
ART
3) Nyck de Vries
4) Nikita Mazepin
Dams
5) Nicholas Latifi (again, seriously?!)
6) Sergio Sette Camara
Whatever Russian Time Will Be Called
7) Luca Ghiotto
8) Guan Yu Zhou
Prema
9) Sean Gelael (Yoy have to be friggin Joking)
10) Mick Schumacher (Jr.)
Charouz
11) Callum Ilott
12) Tatiana Calderon
Campos
14) Ralf Aron
15) Marino Sato
MP Motorsport
16) Antoine Hubert
17) Juan Manuel Correa
BWT Arden
18) Ralph Boschung (possibly the worst driver on the f2 grid the last 2 seasons)
19) Thomas Laurent
Trident
20) Leonardo Pulcini
21) Ryan Tveter

I dont know about you but this grid looks like a mix of talent and below par pay drivers

In terms of times, Delatraz was the only one in the 1:49s (1:49.984), with the rest of the top 12 being less than a second slower.

What is of interest is that the top 2 rookies in terms of speed were both of the Charouz drivers, with Ilott in 3rd ( 1:50.250...0.266 seconds slower than Delatraz) and Calderon in 6th (1:50.361... 0.111 seconds slower than Ilott and 0.025 seconds slower than de Vries in 5th). The next fastest rookies were Correa in 10th (1:50.587), Mazepin in 11th (1:50.707) and Mick Jr in 12th(1:50.802).
Beckmann looks to be staying in F3 next year but is moving to ART. Niko Kari is going back to F3 but with trident.
Original post by quasa
auer was merc driver were he not? but he was decent in DTM (needed more consistency imo).

1st day of f2 post season test is over and it seems delatraz may be going to carlin (also he was fastest with them). F2 and F3 (formerly gp3) testing lineups are not always indicative fo who will be driving where in the following season, unless the drivers have been previously confirmed. As it stands, the speculative F2 2019 grid looks like this:

Carlin
1) Nobuharu Matsushita
2) Louis Delatraz
ART
3) Nyck de Vries
4) Nikita Mazepin
Dams
5) Nicholas Latifi (again, seriously?!)
6) Sergio Sette Camara
Whatever Russian Time Will Be Called
7) Luca Ghiotto
8) Guan Yu Zhou
Prema
9) Sean Gelael (Yoy have to be friggin Joking)
10) Mick Schumacher (Jr.)
Charouz
11) Callum Ilott
12) Tatiana Calderon
Campos
14) Ralf Aron
15) Marino Sato
MP Motorsport
16) Antoine Hubert
17) Juan Manuel Correa
BWT Arden
18) Ralph Boschung (possibly the worst driver on the f2 grid the last 2 seasons)
19) Thomas Laurent
Trident
20) Leonardo Pulcini
21) Ryan Tveter

I dont know about you but this grid looks like a mix of talent and below par pay drivers

In terms of times, Delatraz was the only one in the 1:49s (1:49.984), with the rest of the top 12 being less than a second slower.

What is of interest is that the top 2 rookies in terms of speed were both of the Charouz drivers, with Ilott in 3rd ( 1:50.250...0.266 seconds slower than Delatraz) and Calderon in 6th (1:50.361... 0.111 seconds slower than Ilott and 0.025 seconds slower than de Vries in 5th). The next fastest rookies were Correa in 10th (1:50.587), Mazepin in 11th (1:50.707) and Mick Jr in 12th(1:50.802).

He was Merc, I’m a muppet. I still stand by the fact that all Audi drivers became Rast’s slave.

Nabil Jeffri was worse than Boschung.
Latifi, no idea why he is still around. Same for Ghiotto (although I like him)
WTF is Correa doing there? Beckaman deserves a seat more.
He was Merc, I’m a muppet. I still stand by the fact that all Audi drivers became Rast’s slave.

Nabil Jeffri was worse than Boschung.
Latifi, no idea why he is still around. Same for Ghiotto (although I like him)
WTF is Correa doing there? Beckaman deserves a seat more.

kinda agree re rene's slave (also explains why frijns aint racing next year with audi). DTM better merge with Super GT quick, it hasnt been as interesting as in the past imo. Super Gt id recommend watching on nismo tv (they also show live races and quali). it is awsome.

Across both seasons, Boschung has been bad (agree Jefri was worse in 2017 but he didnt race in F2 this year / has done surprisingly well in LMP2)> Latifi my dad likes for some reason. Ghiotto has speed but age isnt exactly with him tbh. agree about Correa vs Beckman but the more surprising one (Im surprised you missed) was Tveter (considering he has had far fewever points scoring places than Correa)
(edited 5 years ago)
speaking of DTM, does anyone know when Aston Martin is coming in?
Original post by quasa
kinda agree re rene's slave (also explains why frijns aint racing next year with audi). DTM better merge with Super GT quick, it hasnt been as interesting as in the past imo. Super Gt id recommend watching on nismo tv (they also show live races and quali). it is awsome.

Across both seasons, Boschung has been bad (agree Jefri was worse in 2017 but he didnt race in F2 this year / has done surprisingly well in LMP2)> Latifi my dad likes for some reason. Ghiotto has speed but age isnt exactly with him tbh. agree about Correa vs Beckman but the more surprising one (Im surprised you missed) was Tveter (considering he has had far fewever points scoring places than Correa)

I forgot Tveter was racing TBH. Correa meanwhile seemed to send half the season in the side of his teammates.
Original post by quasa
speaking of DTM, does anyone know when Aston Martin is coming in?

TWO PIECES OF SHOCKING, BREAKING, SURPRISING NEWS:

Ollie Rowland is replacing Albon at Nissan's Formula E team and the bigger story: LANCE STROLL IS CONFIRMED TO BE RACING FOR RACING POINT NEXT YEAR!!! despite the fact that everyone knew both of these facts and both drivers have been testing in team gear during the off season :lol:
As I mentioned a lot in the 2018 & 2019 thread, Force India will be called Racing Point from next year (under a British racing License). Also most of the rookie and returner numbers, minus Albon's, have been confirmed
Original post by quasa
As I mentioned a lot in the 2018 & 2019 thread, Force India will be called Racing Point from next year (under a British racing License). Also most of the rookie and returner numbers, minus Albon's, have been confirmed

They should have called it ABBA since they have the drivers will all the Money, money money!

I’ll get my coat.
They should have called it ABBA since they have the drivers will all the Money, money money!

I’ll get my coat.

other good names are Pink Floyd (Money!) or Jesse J (Pricetag)
In f2 testing Correa was fastest from Mick Jr by 2 tenths (correa being the only driver in the 49s) the entire pack was separated by 2.6 seconds with Hubert slowest.

Of the F2 regulars, Ghiotto was top in 3rd.
Original post by quasa

Had a look at those, que Giovanazzi calling for a new points system where we multiply points by car number

Quick Reply