The Student Room Group

The Official 2019 Formula One Season Thread

Scroll to see replies

A Hamilton win gift wrapped by Ferrari
Original post by Andrew97
Lap 1 was just a mess. Great defending by Ghiotto late on however.

agreed. also curious to know if ragunathan will be disqualified from abu dhabi as he got yet another penalty today (if memory serves correctly, he was 1 away from his 2nd ban this weekend).

the f2 grid next year should be interesting. I predict Schwartzman will join mick at prema (gelael will be getting the boot as he will have compelted his 3rd and final season in F2). would not be surprised to see armstrong join sauber jr team. the alcoholic might be stuck in f3 for another year as he finished 3rd (albeit by 1 point due to misfortune). Vips I doubt will progress next season but wouldnt be surprised if he joins arden.

In addition to gelael; Camara, Latifi, de Vries, Ghiotto, Delatraz will no longer be eligible to compete in F2 after this season as they will have completed 3 seasons in F2. Boschung Im not too sure about but wouldnt be surprised if he is no longer eligible.

Weirdly enough, GP2 experience doesnt count towards F2 experience for some reason so theoretically King, Matsush1ta, Markolov are still eligible to compete in F2 next year as they have only completed 2 seasons in F2 (why these 3 still want to compete in F2 is beyond me; the only way these guys will be hired by f1 teams is in either a test capacity, reserve driver in the case of markolov). In anycase, these 3 guys have been in the category since Stoffel Vandoorne's GP2 championship season back in 2015.
(edited 4 years ago)
Saturday marked the 5th anniversary of Jules Bianchi’s accident in Suzuka, which later turned out to be fatal. I will hopefully get a tribute and a piece about the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix out before the race this weekend. (It’s a long story since i have actually started it at the 1994 Japanese Grand Prix)

Safety has come a long way, with the introduction of the VSC. Which was the right and overdue decison.
Typhoon Hagibis looks very likely to be in the Suzuka area on Saturday... forecast at the circuit for sustained winds 65-70 kph, gusts well over 100kph (Accuweather says 161kph) and of course plenty of rain.

Expect they'll have to shift qualifying to Sunday, but the morning's still going to be gusty and that might ruin a few laps.
Original post by Neilos
Typhoon Hagibis looks very likely to be in the Suzuka area on Saturday... forecast at the circuit for sustained winds 65-70 kph, gusts well over 100kph (Accuweather says 161kph) and of course plenty of rain.

Expect they'll have to shift qualifying to Sunday, but the morning's still going to be gusty and that might ruin a few laps.

All Saturday running cancelled. Qualifying will now take place on Sunday morning, 10am Japanese time.

If conditions are still too bad for Qualy to happen then FP2 will set the grid.
anyone else watching quali and the race live?
Original post by quasa
anyone else watching quali and the race live?

I’m around for the race. I woke up an hour or so ago to watch Qualy.
Bottas takes the Japanese Grand Prix from Vettel and Hamilton. Mercedes take the constructors crown.

A timing error meant the chequered flag was shown too early, meaning results are taken from lap 52. Which is why Pérez is 9th. And also means Gasly cannot get a penalty for his clash because it never happened.

Leclerc should however be done for the Verstappen incident.
Don't liked Vettel therefore more watch studio live race without the german. :ahee:
(edited 4 years ago)
Bottas takes the Japanese Grand Prix from Vettel and Hamilton. Mercedes take the constructors crown.

A timing error meant the chequered flag was shown too early, meaning results are taken from lap 52. Which is why Pérez is 9th. And also means Gasly cannot get a penalty for his clash because it never happened.

Leclerc should however be done for the Verstappen incident.

And he was, 5 seconds. Plus 10 for driving around with a broken car.

Renault were also disqualified from Japan due to their brake bias system.

Moving on Mexico, and Verstappen is on pole. But he improved his lap under yellows, no note of an investigation yet however
Verstappen has been stripped of pole. Leclerc now on pole from Vettel and Hamilton.
That was silly from Max, he already had pole in the bag and threw it away.
Verstappen has been stripped of pole. Leclerc now on pole from Vettel and Hamilton.
That was silly from Max, he already had pole in the bag and threw it away.

surprised that lewis didnt get investigated as he set his fastest time after Bottas' crash, although in fairness, he did clearly back off in the final corner after Valterri's accident.

Regarding pole in Mexico, its a bit of a poisoned chalice as the pole man is a sitting duck (if both ferraris have bad starts like in suzuka, then they will definitely be screwed).
Original post by quasa
surprised that lewis didnt get investigated as he set his fastest time after Bottas' crash, although in fairness, he did clearly back off in the final corner after Valterri's accident.

Regarding pole in Mexico, its a bit of a poisoned chalice as the pole man is a sitting duck (if both ferraris have bad starts like in suzuka, then they will definitely be screwed).

If I recall correctly, the yellow flag was not flying when Lewis went past.
If I recall correctly, the yellow flag was not flying when Lewis went past.

true but he was behind Bottas on the road (in anycase it did look like he backed off a tiny bit)
Yeah, no yellow flags I believe when Lewis went past so no obligation to slow. What Max did was silly, and then he provoked it further with his comments to the media - the FIA had even said no investigation necessary then he made those comments.
Original post by BosslyGaming
Yeah, no yellow flags I believe when Lewis went past so no obligation to slow. What Max did was silly, and then he provoked it further with his comments to the media - the FIA had even said no investigation necessary then he made those comments.

true. also, anyone reckon max will crash into someone on way to victory today?
Original post by quasa

bets on crash with a ferrari (thinking charles) in turn 1?

Original post by quasa

Both Ferrari’s and Lewis, paving the way for an Albon win!

hopefully not but wouldnt be surprised. I reckon Vettel due to proximity but Hamilton is long overdue a clash with Max.

1 thing which could throw the cats amongst the pidgeons at the start: Albon and everyone behind bottas are on the softs...I wouldnt be surprised if he's the leading Brit into the 1st corner due to the effect of the slipstream + grip of softs at the start.

ps Albon is British (he was born in London and grew up in ipswich and near colchester, lives in Milton Keynes and his dad is a British racing driver called Nigel Albon. the only reason he races under a thai racing license is because of some legal issues involving his mum in the early 2010s).
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest