The Student Room Group

The Official 2019 Formula One Season Thread

Scroll to see replies

Interesting how both of us included races he didn’t win. I can’t think of any other driver (with more than 10 wins) who’s top ten drives include so many non wins. Maybe Alonso?
Original post by Andrew97
Interesting how both of us included races he didn’t win. I can’t think of any other driver (with more than 10 wins) who’s top ten drives include so many non wins. Maybe Alonso?

agreed. Kinda 1 of the reason's why I consuider him the greatest f1 driver fo all time. I was agonising about putting malaysia 99 in my top 10 but decided against it. 2003 san marino was a similar one as well (won in a year old car by a small margin hours after his mum passed away).

Re: alo...of the top of my head I cant really think of any memorable drives which weren't wins or dnfs tbh :lol:. Hamilton is a similar situation for F1 (his GP2 drivebacks were a lot more memorable than most of his f1 races imo)
Original post by quasa
agreed. Kinda 1 of the reason's why I consuider him the greatest f1 driver fo all time. I was agonising about putting malaysia 99 in my top 10 but decided against it. 2003 san marino was a similar one as well (won in a year old car by a small margin hours after his mum passed away).

Re: alo...of the top of my head I cant really think of any memorable drives which weren't wins or dnfs tbh :lol:. Hamilton is a similar situation for F1 (his GP2 drivebacks were a lot more memorable than most of his f1 races imo)

I was consdering shoving some more 96 and 97 races in there. Those 2 cars (96 in particular) were dogs.

On Alonso I would say his best non-wins were Japan 2005, Hungary 2014 and Baku 2018.
yayyy!!! some of my ppl - any Lewis Hamilton fans here??? :party:
I’m pretty sure I won’t find any fellow Bottas fans
Original post by That's me

i do like bottas - he and hamilton are friendly as well, better than hamilton and vettel. the partnership is wonderful to see. much respect for bottas (hamilton is still my fave tho :biggrin:)
Original post by ohdahnnyboi

Hi. Glad to see you here, I am a Lewis fan (my avatar was his 2018 Mercedes until the other day). Yeah, this is where we will discuss the 2019 f1 season once it starts, for now it’ll be myself and Quasa talking to ourselves. 😛
Hi. Glad to see you here, I am a Lewis fan (my avatar was his 2018 Mercedes until the other day). Yeah, this is where we will discuss the 2019 f1 season once it starts, for now it’ll be myself and Quasa talking to ourselves. 😛

cool beans :u: can't wait :biggrin: :party: (excuse my overuse of the :party: emoji lol)

used to be a massive fan of his in 05 and 06 when he was with ASM/ART in F2/GP2 (latter is now F2) but am annoyed he isnt driving in a red car (although rumours do persist he will be driving for their "hypercar" project in a few years).In terms of british driviers, I rate him in the top 3 above the likes of mansell, hunt etc but below jim clark and maybe jackie stewart (who could have dominated the 70s but quit afte rhis teammate died to focus on improving driver safety). In terms of best driver on the grid...depends how max and leclerc develop tbh and if RB and ferrari have a decent car
always glad to see more f1 fans :lol:
cool beans :u: can't wait :biggrin: :party: (excuse my overuse of the :party: emoji lol)
you suomi by any chance? Im not really a VB fan tbh but do feel for him as he has been essentially lewis' number 2 since Bahrain 2017 (dude got pole and was told to give ti up to lewis). Personally I felt he should have won Baku, Russia and Germany last year and was heavily compromised in Monza to ruin Raikkonen's race to allow lewis to attack for the win.
Original post by That's me
how did i forget about those races :lol: (hungary especially as I rate that as 1 of his top 3 drives).

yh, both of those cars were dogs (especially compared to the Williams' and his old team of Benetton) but was still able to be competitive. Also another honorable mention is Valencia 2012. he started 12th and finished 3rd (albeit he benefitted from Renault alternator problems with Vettel and Grosjean & Hamilton and Kobayashi crashing out).
I was consdering shoving some more 96 and 97 races in there. Those 2 cars (96 in particular) were dogs.

On Alonso I would say his best non-wins were Japan 2005, Hungary 2014 and Baku 2018.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by quasa
used to be a massive fan of his in 05 and 06 when he was with ASM/ART in F2/GP2 (latter is now F2) but am annoyed he isnt driving in a red car (although rumours do persist he will be driving for their "hypercar" project in a few years).In terms of british driviers, I rate him in the top 3 above the likes of mansell, hunt etc but below jim clark and maybe jackie stewart (who could have dominated the 70s but quit afte rhis teammate died to focus on improving driver safety). In terms of best driver on the grid...depends how max and leclerc develop tbh and if RB and ferrari have a decent car

yeah max and leclerc are definitely up and coming - i'm excited to see some competitions develop between them and lewis. i think lewis has excelled whatever team he's been in, but sometimes the car's have been poor (no matter the colour :biggrin:) i hope there aren't too many engine problems and such for him this year
Original post by quasa
always glad to see more f1 fans :lol:

funny taht when i was much younger, i used to hate it and didn't see the point - every sunday my dad and brother watching all 70 something laps :lol: now i'm obsessed - also doesn't hurt that i share a birthday with lewis :biggrin:
funny taht when i was much younger, i used to hate it and didn't see the point - every sunday my dad and brother watching all 70 something laps :lol: now i'm obsessed - also doesn't hurt that i share a birthday with lewis :biggrin:

happy birthday for tomorrow
Original post by quasa
happy birthday for tomorrow

thanks!

Spoiler

Very interesting news coming out of Italy: Arrivabenne is getting the sack AND will be replaced by Binotto. Jock clear has confirmed he will be stepping down to become Leclercs race engineer and will likely be replaced by Mekies (ex FIA technical guy). It is expected that binotto's role as tech director will be jointly held by the head of aero and head of powertrain
(edited 5 years ago)
Little late to the party but I am here now.
Best Rivalry ever apart from Senna and Prost [video="youtube;o4Cqoxjry_A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Cqoxjry_A[/video]
Original post by quasa
Very interesting news coming out of Italy: Arrivabenne is getting the sack AND will be replaced by Binotto. Jock clear has confirmed he will be stepping down to become Leclercs race engineer and will likely be replaced by Mekies (ex FIA technical guy). It is expected that binotto's role as tech director will be jointly held by the head of aero and head of powertrain

Shame, I liked Arrivabenne. But I suppose something was going to change after the mid-season meltdown. Although I can't help at think that Ferrari needs stability.

Original post by Rock Fan
Best Rivalry ever apart from Senna and Prost [video="youtube;o4Cqoxjry_A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Cqoxjry_A[/video]

You forgot Ocon V Verstappen. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest