?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm in year 12 doing 5 qualifications:
Maths (Advanced Level)
Biology (Advanced Level)
Chemistry (Advanced Level)
EPQ (Advanced Level)
LAMDA (Grade 8)

I have other qualifications like Bronze Duke of Edinburgh too, and I heard you get UCAS points for all of these. But then other people say that UCAS points mean nothing anymore, so does that mean that there's no point in doing all of these qualifications if UCAS points are of no relevance points? Ofc A-levels are important as unis offer places based on grade offers now, but what about the whole UCAS points system - why does it even exist anymore then?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bilalsheraz7)
I'm in year 12 doing 5 qualifications:
Maths (Advanced Level)
Biology (Advanced Level)
Chemistry (Advanced Level)
EPQ (Advanced Level)
LAMDA (Grade 8)

I have other qualifications like Bronze Duke of Edinburgh too, and I heard you get UCAS points for all of these. But then other people say that UCAS points mean nothing anymore, so does that mean that there's no point in doing all of these qualifications if UCAS points are of no relevance points? Ofc A-levels are important as unis offer places based on grade offers now, but what about the whole UCAS points system - why does it even exist anymore then?
UCAS points tend to be used by a lot more unis below half way. they are likely to get a wider range of qualifications rather than just A levels so to help them they will use the UCAS scale.

Depending how the uni states its entrance requirements, then it can limit ucas points to best three A levels or equivalent. Most offers for all unis are based on 3 A levels or equivalent. I tend to suggest people are better of choosing their best 3 A levels than spreading the effort amongst 4.

Have a look at the entrance requirements for the unis you are applying to. I think you are being a bit dramatic and its your choice to do 5.
CuriousCat567
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
None of my choices I applied to have stated UCAS points, I feel there was less need for them after AS got removed. The lower grade unis do ucas points as above said to take into account other qualifications as they are not as picky. Some unis (not all) offer a lower grade offer if you do well in your epq. For example, offer may be AAB or ABB + A in epq. Your LAMDA grade may be helpful if you’re applying for drama scholarships etc. at uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%