The Student Room Group

English grade-9|| structure for both papers

Hello welcome to my new thread learn how to master the basic structures of both you English literature Paper and English Language Paper and to get that grade 9!

The key and the first basic structure you should know by now as many schools may similarly teach this has to be PREZE this is a way to structure your paragraphs in exploring one of you note form point in a well finer detailed paragraph helping you achieve above and beyond that grade 7 to 9
PREZE
P-This is a summative sentence of your idea in which you state your point.
R-This is your reference as you may know it as quotation, seen to be as evidence.( This back your point up )
E- 3x sentence explaining your quotation and the points you made to grab them higher marks make sure to infer in different ways to show the examiner you can give different interpretations of the same quote elaborating on your explanations even further .
Z- This is your zooooom!!! This is were you pick out a key word or phrase and explain what it shows why has the author, poet used it
E- At this stage you explain the effect it has on the reader and if necessary how an audience may feel .

More to come, what do you think so far :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I just want to say that this is only one method to get good marks. There are many more out there that you may be more comfortable with. Also, AQA recently was quite critical of the use of these mechanical acronyms for paragraph structure, as they recently wrote in their insight report for this year's literature examination series (https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-8702-RIS.PDF), noticing an '[o]ver-reliance on acronyms/mnemonics which tend to limit the lines of enquiry'.
Reply 2
Original post by Tolgarda
I just want to say that this is only one method to get good marks. There are many more out there that you may be more comfortable with. Also, AQA recently was quite critical of the use of these mechanical acronyms for paragraph structure, as they recently wrote in their insight report for this year's literature examination series (https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-8702-RIS.PDF), noticing an '[o]ver-reliance on acronyms/mnemonics which tend to limit the lines of enquiry'.

woow and im yh i feel like am much more comfortable with it as I have used it for quite some time and helped me achieve the highest grade .
Reply 3
Original post by Hibbyxo
woow and im yh i feel like am much more comfortable with it as I have used it for quite some time and helped me achieve the highest grade .

That's alright. I used something completely different (and wrote a little guide myself), but it must always be informed that the teacher takes authority with regards to instructions for paragraph structuring, and that there is more than one method than the one shown.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Hibbyxo
Hello welcome to my new thread learn how to master the basic structures of both you English literature Paper and English Language Paper and to get that grade 9!

The key and the first basic structure you should know by now as many schools may similarly teach this has to be PREZE this is a way to structure your paragraphs in exploring one of you note form point in a well finer detailed paragraph helping you achieve above and beyond that grade 7 to 9
PREZE
P-This is a summative sentence of your idea in which you state your point.
R-This is your reference as you may know it as quotation, seen to be as evidence.( This back your point up )
E- 3x sentence explaining your quotation and the points you made to grab them higher marks make sure to infer in different ways to show the examiner you can give different interpretations of the same quote elaborating on your explanations even further .
Z- This is your zooooom!!! This is were you pick out a key word or phrase and explain what it shows why has the author, poet used it
E- At this stage you explain the effect it has on the reader and if necessary how an audience may feel .

More to come, what do you think so far :smile:

Looks neat. However, can I be rude and question your credibility? I'm in year 11, and usually get 21/30 in lit practice test ( timed), however I'm not satisfied.
Reply 5
Original post by Tolgarda
That's alright. I used something completely different (and wrote a little guide myself), but it must always be informed that the teacher takes authority with regards to instructions for paragraph structuring, and that there is more than one method than the one shown.

Yh true i understanding but i will be covering each questions structures you will need , you can use the one the teacher gives you but you can incooperate the methods into one of your paragraphs to help you
Reply 6
Original post by Hibbyxo
Yh true i understanding but i will be covering each questions structures you will need , you can use the one the teacher gives you but you can incooperate the methods into one of your paragraphs to help you

Well, I definitely won't be incorporating any of these into my A-level literature, or language, answers anytime soon.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Justanotherteen_
Looks neat. However, can I be rude and question your credibility? I'm in year 11, and usually get 21/30 in lit practice test ( timed), however I'm not satisfied.

To be honest with you its ok not to be satisfied in what you got and to aim high and what i would encourage you to do is practise well written responses of esays of books that you learn in preparaitions for the exam and that will help you alot as it did for me. Embarassingly i got grade 4s and 5s in my lit papers but wen looking at well written responses and memorising them and getting them checked out and rewritting them to improve it it helped me massively as my grade jumped to an 8

If you tell me the books your studying I might be able to help you x
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Justanotherteen_

Achieving 70% is impressive at this stage.
Reply 9
Original post by Tolgash

Hello when answering a 30 marker on literature, how many points of analysis does the answer need for a grade 9?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending