Can i get into a russel group uni? Watch

K1NGZ
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
so i achived 5As , 4bs and 1c at GCSE . At the time i was dealing with things and didnt care much for school but as soon as sixth form hit i was determined . Predicted AAB ( tryna boost that to AAA-A*AAA ) .

do you think i really should aim for russel group unis ? are my past grades inadequate..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by K1NGZ)
so i achived 5As , 4bs and 1c at GCSE . At the time i was dealing with things and didnt care much for school but as soon as sixth form hit i was determined . Predicted AAB ( tryna boost that to AAA-A*AAA ) .

do you think i really should aim for russel group unis ? are my past grades inadequate..
For which course, and why specifically Russell Group? (Your GCSEs are fine in most cases, your A-levels are more important)
for_real_though
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It really doesn't matter what you got in your GCSE's. Just make sure that the Unis you are applying to don't look at GCSE's that much. Your grades ain't even half bad so it shouldn't matter anyway. As long as you meet the grade requirement (or get close to it) and your personal statement is banging and shows how passionate you are about the subject, you should be more than fine. To be surer, you could directly ask universities and they'll be able to answer your questions. Don't be afraid. Also don't look at whether the university is Russel Group or not. Look at your subject and make sure the uni is good at it. For example, Loughborough University is top 10 in Computer Science (my course choice) but isn't part of the Russel group of universities... Does it mean they're bad? Heck no!

In addition, make sure that the some of your university choices are very safe or in the low end to make sure that you get into a university. Also, make sure that the university is still good though. The best way to go about these things are open days. That would be the best way to do it and find the perfect Uni for you.
K1NGZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
For which course, and why specifically Russell Group? (Your GCSEs are fine in most cases, your A-levels are more important)
computer science
K1NGZ
Rep:
?
just beacuse idk they are seen as good unis
(Original post by for_real_though)
It really doesn't matter what you got in your GCSE's. Just make sure that the Unis you are applying to don't look at GCSE's that much. Your grades ain't even half bad so it shouldn't matter anyway. As long as you meet the grade requirement (or get close to it) and your personal statement is banging and shows how passionate you are about the subject, you should be more than fine. To be surer, you could directly ask universities and they'll be able to answer your questions. Don't be afraid. Also don't look at whether the university is Russel Group or not. Look at your subject and make sure the uni is good at it. For example, Loughborough University is top 10 in Computer Science (my course choice) but isn't part of the Russel group of universities... Does it mean they're bad? Heck no!

In addition, make sure that the some of your university choices are very safe or in the low end to make sure that you get into a university. Also, make sure that the university is still good though. The best way to go about these things are open days. That would be the best way to do it and find the perfect Uni for you.
i am also applying for CS and loughborough is one of my choices but i was worried about picking warwick or york
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by K1NGZ)
just beacuse idk they are seen as good unis
They are good at lobbying for their interests (which is the only reason the RG exists). They aren't a guarantee of teaching quality though.

i am also applying for CS and loughborough is one of my choices but i was worried about picking warwick or york
Do you meet, or nearly meet, Warwick and/or York's entry requirements?

Warwick offers 83% of applicants: https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-b040a93861f8
Your, 78% https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-5f2f8710381e
for_real_though
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
They are good at lobbying for their interests (which is the only reason the RG exists). They aren't a guarantee of teaching quality though.

Do you meet, or nearly meet, Warwick and/or York's entry requirements?

Warwick offers 83% of applicants: https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-b040a93861f8
Your, 78% https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-5f2f8710381e
Warwick takes only A*AA though. I have no idea how the offer percentage on which uni works. On some courses for cs in quite good universities, offer rate is 100% which is really weird... They literally offered everyone who applied?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Warwick takes only A*AA though. I have no idea how the offer percentage on which uni works. On some courses for cs in quite good universities, offer rate is 100% which is really weird... They literally offered everyone who applied?
Alll universities issue more offers than have places. Don't forget you can only accept 1 firm offer from your 5 choices, so when a university gives out 5 offers that often means they will only see one firm acceptance in return.

You can see offer rates for different predicted grades here:
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
(It can be a bit flakey depending on your subjects and qualifications but gives a pretty good indication in most cases.)

An AAB prediction has a 90+% offer chance at Warwick.
Name:  Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 00.03.31.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  142.3 KB

The corollary for Warwick is that because they give out a lot of offers they are also very strict on Results Day. So if AAB earns you an A*AA offer you will still be required to hit it.
for_real_though
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Alll universities issue more offers than have places. Don't forget you can only accept 1 firm offer from your 5 choices, so when a university gives out 5 offers that often means they will only see one firm acceptance in return.

You can see offer rates for different predicted grades here:
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
(It can be a bit flakey depending on your subjects and qualifications but gives a pretty good indication in most cases.)

An AAB prediction has a 90+% offer chance at Warwick.
Name:  Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 00.03.31.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  142.3 KB

The corollary for Warwick is that because they give out a lot of offers they are also very strict on Results Day. So if AAB earns you an A*AA offer you will still be required to hit it.
So wait what does the last line mean? "So if AAB earns you an A*AA offer you will still be required to hit it." I have to hit the AAB target or the A*AA target?
K1NGZ
Rep:
?
So wait what does the last line mean? "So if AAB earns you an A*AA offer you will still be required to hit it." I have to hit the AAB target or the A*AA target?
A*AA
for_real_though
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by K1NGZ)
A*AA
After further reflection, I don't think so. They offer you a place when you have been predicted AAB so I'm pretty sure they're going to take you if you get AAB. I think what he meant was that you know how some unis take you in even if you get ABB when you were offered a place for AAB, well Warwick needs you to get AAB to fulfil the requirement and probably will revoke the offer if you get lower than that. lets me know if I interpreted it correctly Doonesbury
username4217900
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
After further reflection, I don't think so. They offer you a place when you have been predicted AAB so I'm pretty sure they're going to take you if you get AAB. I think what he meant was that you know how some unis take you in even if you get ABB when you were offered a place for AAB, well Warwick needs you to get AAB to fulfil the requirement and probably will revoke the offer if you get lower than that. lets me know if I interpreted it correctly Doonesbury
Warwick's comp sci offer is A*AA, if you dont achieve that they most likely wont accept you. Last year their offer was AAA and one of my friends achieved A*A*B and got rejected since he technically didnt reach the offer.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm not sure you are right about this. Warwick have tended to make offers to lots of people knowing that many will not make the grades - so if you get A*AA you get in, drop grades - not so likely. Predicted grades are not very reliable and schools take different approaches towards them.
Bigpaddy27
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
6bs 4cs gcse, at UCL studying Econ and Business with 3As at Alevel. Got all offers from Russel groups e.g Warwick, Manchester etc. You'll be fine
for_real_though
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by rumatar)
Warwick's comp sci offer is A*AA, if you dont achieve that they most likely wont accept you. Last year their offer was AAA and one of my friends achieved A*A*B and got rejected since he technically didnt reach the offer.
If you look into the ucas website mentioned by Doonesbury above, it clearly says that AAB has a greater than 90% chance of getting an offer. What subjects did he take?
for_real_though
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I'm not sure you are right about this. Warwick have tended to make offers to lots of people knowing that many will not make the grades - so if you get A*AA you get in, drop grades - not so likely. Predicted grades are not very reliable and schools take different approaches towards them.
Yes, but if they make a conditional offer knowing your predicted grades, aren't they basically saying "we'll take you in provided you get the grades you were predicted". If the predicted grades are the "best case scenario of your grades", the assumption is that that's the best you can do. Right?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes, but if they make a conditional offer knowing your predicted grades, aren't they basically saying "we'll take you in provided you get the grades you were predicted". If the predicted grades are the "best case scenario of your grades", the assumption is that that's the best you can do. Right?
I think what you are saying may be a reasonable assumption for a lot of universities. Warwick have had a history of not doing that - as is their right. They say - 'get these grades we offered and we will have you'. Some people improve from their estimates grades, some rise to the challenge, many dont. A similar case is maths at Cambridge where many offers are made which people don't make.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I got the exact same GCSEs as you and I still applied and got offers from RG unis. However they aren't everything and sometimes aren't even the best unis for certain subjects so don't limit yourself to them
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You have to hit the offer on results day - if the offer is A*AA then that's what Warwick requires you to get.

Other universities are sometimes less fussy and may allow a one or two grade miss from their offer. Warwick is strict for CompSci (and also Maths and some other courses).

Nope.
Last edited by Doones; 8 months ago
for_real_though
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I think what you are saying may be a reasonable assumption for a lot of universities. Warwick have had a history of not doing that - as is their right. They say - 'get these grades we offered and we will have you'. Some people improve from their estimates grades, some rise to the challenge, many dont. A similar case is maths at Cambridge where many offers are made which people don't make.
According to the UCAS Offer Rate Calculator, An A*AA has a less than 10% chance of receiving an offer in Cambridge for at least Computer Science. Doesn't sound like they make a lot of offers then... Also, I am unsure about the Warwick situation but to my knowledge, if the university has made an offer after looking at what you are predicted then surely they want you if (and only if) you hit your predicted grades (which they based the offer on). I personally have no clue how this works. I might be wrong but just wanted some more insight. Of course, if they make you an offer but state that you need to hit the A*AA mark to get the place confirmed that's a different situation, but if they make you an offer and don't state that they need you to get the A*AA mark then obviously that's not fair as you're tricking the student to put you as their firm choice and then telling them "Look we know that you were predicted AAB and that's probably the best you were going to get but we still made you an offer hoping you were going to get A*AA. So now that you didn't we can't really do anything and have to revoke your offer! Sorry!"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads