collegegirl2018
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently staying in a Unite Students accommodation. Recently I have been having trouble with my flatmates and have decided I would like to move into a student house nearer to my university. I have paid in full for my accommodation and I am not clear on what the policy says about leaving early or getting money back when paid in full.

Can someone help me out please???
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by collegegirl2018)
I am currently staying in a Unite Students accommodation. Recently I have been having trouble with my flatmates and have decided I would like to move into a student house nearer to my university. I have paid in full for my accommodation and I am not clear on what the policy says about leaving early or getting money back when paid in full.

Can someone help me out please???
Read your agreement or go to CAB or the advisor at your SU and ask them to explain it to you.

If you have evidence your flatmate is being seriously unreasonable i.e they are bullying or breaking the rules in a serious way, then you can make a complaint about them. You need evidence and making such a complaint could make it worse.

https://www.unitestudents.com/help-a...-to-day-living

I am not getting on with my flatmates, how do I complain?
Where possible our city teams will try to help you resolve your issues – when a group of new people live together for the first time disputes can happen, so a bit of time can help to sort the problems out. If the problems are more serious then we will always try to move you to another flat if there is room available. We take any form of anti-social behaviour, such as drugs or bullying, very seriously and investigate any complaints.

This is the cancellation policy.

https://www.unitestudents.com/terms/cancellation-policy

I believe this is the correct part, which is what I was expecting.. Unless you can prove serious anti social behaviour, then you are responsible for the rent until you find a replacement. This is standard. Once you find a replacement, then you pay up to the date the new tenant takes over plus a £50 fee. I expect they will then refund the remaining money [ not the utility guarantee fee]. It is unknown how quickly they may process such a claim and it could be several weeks before the refund shows up, so be prepared to chase.

"3. On or after 1 August 2017, unless you are still within the 14 Day Cooling-Off Period and have not collected the keys to your accommodation, you will have to pay all amounts due under your Tenancy Agreement unless a replacement Tenant is found for your Room or you enter into a New Tenancy. If a replacement Tenant is found for your Room, we will release you from your Tenancy Agreement from the start date of the replacement Tenant's new Tenancy Agreement. If you have occupied the Room prior to this, you will be charged £50.00 to cover our costs of preparing the Room for the replacement Tenant. If no replacement Tenant is found for your Room we will be entitled to retain your Security Deposit until all amounts due under your Tenancy Agreement have been paid. No refund will be made of the Utility Guarantee Fee (as referred to in the Tenancy Terms and Conditions)."
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (157)
60.38%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.23%
No- I want it (74)
28.46%
No- I don't want it (18)