The Student Room Group

Architecture Stress Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
its 3 i am dead... gun..please?? I have a job in a creative office. I don't think I'll ever do noddy homes. That said i'd like to see third year dead and buried before it buries me.
Reply 41
Hi guys I have just got back from Paris and thank you to those of you who helped with suggestions in my Paris thread it was great. #france#

Sorry to drag up an old post but…

yeahyeahyeahs
Who do you think designed those houses on your road?
an architect...
that is everyday architecture!

I don’t deny the fact that houses could be designed by an architect and it is also a fair point that builders do use designers/technicians who are not architects to help produce some of these abominations that blight many greenfield sights but at no point did I say that a house that is refurbished by a developer isn’t architecture but that developing (in a purely aesthetic sense non structural) for profit, in my opinion wouldn’t need 7years training as an architect.

I did like the quote:

RocketTown
"a bicycle shed is a building; Lincoln Cathedral is a piece of architecture. Nearly everything that encloses space on a scale sufficient for a human being to move in is a building. The term architecture applies only to buildings designed with a view to aesthetic appeal"

So a really well designed aesthetically pleasing bike shed would be architecture lol I will def be looking at more of his literature. :biggrin:

on a separate(ish) point this is what I sort of mean about my feeling on people calling themselves “Artists” I believe many people have a talent and can produce a piece of creative media but they are not an artist in my opinion (… is there a lesser title?) I just feel too many people think too much of themselves when they are only producing decorative hobby craft it winds me up just thinking about it sorry :soap:
Reply 42
hi there
i am thinking of doing architecture (BA) in 2009
can someone in their first or second year send me some of the work their doing so i can get a better idea of what its like? thanks a lot!
my email is [email protected]

also im looking at nottingham, oxford brookes, manchester, brighton, Portsmouth and Sheffield for BA courses in architecture. does any one go to any of these and recommend them?

cheers, Neil
http://www.presidentsmedals.com/page.aspx?a=1&c=1]
there are some work available here from different schools.

i suggest you should go to the degree shows in the summer for each school to see if its the type of work you would like to do.
Reply 44
Hi fellow stressed out achitecture people. :smile:

What a brilliant thread - it captures perfectly the insanity of studying architecture and the consequent desperate situations that you often find yourself in! From mountains of work, impossible details, computers with a mind of their own and the fact that there are never enough hours in the day to complete a project to a standard where a twisted crit panel cannot take you apart, every student of architecture I know can relate to the issues highlighted in this thread. How appropriate that I am typing this at the end of an all day CAD binge...
Reply 45
i couldnt be happier to have found this website and forum... been wanting to find somewhere to vent my built up disappointment.

I got out of school 2 years ago, worked in a few small firms, but now i'm working for the government, through its urban development arm...
listen my boss expects me to work the same long hours i did at work.. like what the ****...
Reply 46
i hate architecture
^Ditto...

It's the holidays.. (which are short anyway) and i should be writing/reading/drawing/revising.
but have lost all motivation after my mega-stress last week soooo it can buggger reet off.
My friend asked me the other day -
"do you ever, you know, consider quitting?"
"On a weekly basis."
"oh phew, me too."

:rolleyes:
Reply 48
Hispanic-Impressions
^Ditto...

It's the holidays.. (which are short anyway) and i should be writing/reading/drawing/revising.
but have lost all motivation after my mega-stress last week soooo it can buggger reet off.
My friend asked me the other day -
"do you ever, you know, consider quitting?"
"On a weekly basis."
"oh phew, me too."

:rolleyes:

but at the same time, we never do... :cool:
there's always something about it we secretly enjoy :rolleyes:
Reply 49
before crit:
RocketTown
i hate architecture

after crit:
RocketTown
i love architecture :yep:

the amount of times i've considered changing my degree course in the last few weeks is unreal, but still... i know i never will.
I just had a crash and burn moment straight after my handin last week.
Lack of sleep + poor eating diet + flu = terrible five days.

I've just recovered now but now I'm crapping myself. So much time was wasted. currently going through structual physics to get my technical studies out of the way!

I never thought about quitting architecture. I love it, even when I havent sleep for days on ends.
I even know theres a chance I won't end up following the architecture pathway, but I'll still do the 3 years anyways like this. :biggrin:
Reply 51
I am stressed
Reply 52
Oh you miserable bums. I fullly intend on enjoying this lack of a holiday.
Reply 53
Many years ago it would be lego models I'd build over Christmas.... now it's huge site/location/concept models that will no doubt bankrupt me :frown:

How times have changed.

Still though,only a few months left for me now and then I'll be raking in the mega money that people always seem to think architects do! :biggrin:
Lime Green
Oh you miserable bums. I fullly intend on enjoying this lack of a holiday.

Yeah but you're a nutter :p:.

I'm procrastinating.

We have to design a hut which I was really looking forward to, but right now, I can't face having anything to do with architecture.
Reply 55
wow reading these is quite daunting..
how much are you guys spending on buy materials??
Reply 56
I am really stressed now.
Reply 57
i blame architecture for my screwed up sleeping pattern - It's 7am and I'm still awake.
Quiller
I am really stressed now.

:console:

I really don't want to go back at the moment. I know that by week 2 or 3 it'll be back into the insane old work-work-work-sleep-work-eat-work-work-sleep cycle.
Reply 59
Hispanic-Impressions
I really don't want to go back at the moment. I know that by week 2 or 3 it'll be back into the insane old work-work-work-sleep-work-eat-work-work-sleep cycle.

Yep you can bet on it... you've got copenhagen though! I've just got in from studio... 5.30 in the ******* morning. i'll be able to manage 2 hours sleep before i need to get in and scan my things... then a three hour drive home - really hoping I don't fall asleep at the wheel!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending