The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Suspended by Boots for gross misconduct

Hello, I have been suspended by Boots for gross misconduct. There is a meeting next week in which I could be dismissed from the job. I made a mistake on the till on my first day last week. I was not properly trained and I had to watch my colleagues on the till. Most transactions were successful. However, there was one mistake I made when handling a £20 note. I put it on the side because there was already £40 worth of notes in the till. I am not allowed to put more money in so I left it on the side instead of putting it in the safe. I know it was my mistake. I served the customer and apparently my manager claimed that the customer (who is a staff member) did not pay and I gave him unauthorised change. Next week as soon as I came in the manager told me to wait inside the canteen and did not explain to me what happened, she just left me there for over an hour. I gave in and went to her office but she told me to wait. Finally, we had a conversation and I explained what happened. However, I watched the CCTV footage and they skipped some parts of the video and tried to accuse me of fraud. They then told me to wait outside for two more hours. This process took five hours in total and they told me I was suspended on full pay. What should I say at the meeting next week? Is there anything that I can do? It was for gross misconduct.

Scroll to see replies

Learn to use paragraphs and proper grammar.
Original post by WestieGroupLTD
Learn to use paragraphs and proper grammar.

There is nothing wrong with the post.
Try and get in touch with your union. Think that will be the best bet.
Original post by Seamus123
There is nothing wrong with the post.

Eh, yes there is.

Firstly the non existing use of paragraphs

&

Secondly, the poor use of punctuation marks such as ,
Eh, yes there is.

&

Does it really matter, though? 🙃
Original post by TMWEe
Hello, I have been suspended by Boots for gross misconduct. There is a meeting next week in which I could be dismissed from the job. I made a mistake on the till on my first day last week. I was not properly trained and I had to watch my colleagues on the till. Most transactions were successful. However, there was one mistake I made when handling a £20 note. I put it on the side because there was already £40 worth of notes in the till. I am not allowed to put more money in so I left it on the side instead of putting it in the safe. I know it was my mistake. I served the customer and apparently my manager claimed that the customer (who is a staff member) did not pay and I gave him unauthorised change. Next week as soon as I came in the manager told me to wait inside the canteen and did not explain to me what happened, she just left me there for over an hour. I gave in and went to her office but she told me to wait. Finally, we had a conversation and I explained what happened. However, I watched the CCTV footage and they skipped some parts of the video and tried to accuse me of fraud. They then told me to wait outside for two more hours. This process took five hours in total and they told me I was suspended on full pay. What should I say at the meeting next week? Is there anything that I can do? It was for gross misconduct.

Be contrite, apologetic. Realise your mistake. Try to explain what happened.

It's just a conversation at the end of the day. And are you sure it's gross misconduct? Normally that's unpaid suspension.

Ultimately what they do is up to them, as you have very little rights. You will probably have an appeals process, which you should make use of if you get an outcome which you don't like.

Hopefully just get a warning.
Eh, yes there is.

&

Who are you? The TSR police? If you haven’t got any constructive advice, don’t bother to read or comment.
Original post by TMWEe

Don’t go to any meeting without having someone with you to help you, and as Andrew said, contact your union ASAP.
Original post by TMWEe

Take someone to the meeting with you. Preferably a union representitive. Join a union ASAP.
Explain to them everything that happened, explaining what you said on here about that you werent properly trained, they skipped some parts when they showed you the cctv of what happened (will be interested to see if this happens at your meeting).
If you feel you have been treated unfairly, contact either ACAS or the CAB (or both).
(edited 5 years ago)
Eh, yes there is.

&

oh sorry i forgot this was a gcse english language essay
Original post by Emma:-)
Take someone to the meeting with you. Preferably a union representitive. Join a union ASAP.
Explain to them everything that happened, explaining what you said on here about that you werent properly trained, they skipped some parts when they showed you the cctv of what happened (will be interested to see if this happens at your meeting).
If you feel you have been treated unfairly, contact either ACAS or the CAB (or both).

What are Acas or CAB gonna do, if the person has worked at the company for a day?
Original post by Notoriety
What are Acas or CAB gonna do, if the person has worked at the company for a day?

The OP may have only worked for a day, but they can still give advice.
Original post by Emma:-)
The OP may have only worked for a day, but they can still give advice.

OP has worked there for fewer than 2 years. Unless they have been discriminated against because of a protected characteristic or because they asserted a statutory right, they can be unfairly dismissed. There is really nothing OP can do, other than to be incredibly contrite and prove they're hyper-reasonable employee material, in the event OP is dismissed.
Reply 14
Eh, yes there is.

&

*non-existent
Original post by gjd800
*non-existent

Also used comma after Secondly but not after Firstly.

GCSE students, man. Need a ****ing slap.
Reply 16
Original post by Notoriety
Also used comma after Secondly but not after Firstly.

GCSE students, man. Need a ****ing slap.

Yep. If you're gonna be a bell about grammar, make sure your own is in order!
Reply 17
Join a union and request some support. Ask for hearing to be delayed until you have this representation.
there are plenty of other jobs available for you if they dont trust or believe you in boots.
Just tell them politely what happened and what you were doing and your mistakes so that they undertsand.
Reply 19
Hello I have not been dismissed and I was given till training on that day. The manager was kind and she knew that the transaction was a genuine mistake and not fraud. Boots are very strict and keep a watchful eye over you.

Latest