drowninginworkk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
PLEASE ANALYSE THIS, THE STRUCTURE AND LANGUAGE TECHNIQUES USED AND THEIR EFFECTS? i primise im actually ok at english but this extract is difficult okk

"Tell me about your recurring nightmare, Nathan." We're sitting by the pond on warm paving slabs. The pond's a long rectangle, with water lilies and a bronze statue of Neptune in the middle gone turquoise and bruised. The pond's bigger than our whole garden, which is really just a muddy yard with a washing line and rubbish bins. Dad's lodge in Rhodesia has land going down to a river where there're hippos. I think of Mrs. Marconi telling me to "Focus on the subject." "How do you know about my nightmare?"

"You have that hunted look," says Jonah.

I lob a pebble up, high over the water. Its arc is maths.

"Is your nightmare anything to do with your scars?"

Immediately my hand's pulled my hair down over the white-and-pink-streaked area below my right ear, to hide where the damage shows the most. The stone goes plop! but the splash is invisible. I won't think about the mastiff launching itself at me, its fangs pulling skin off my cheek like roast chicken, its eyes as it shook me like a doll, its teeth locked around my jawbone; or the weeks in hospital, the injections, the drugs, the surgery, the faces people make; or how the mastiff's still waiting for me when I fall asleep.
TLinston
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
talk about the opening direct speech, internal speech. you could mention the neptune figure -the whole 'bruised' description can reflct his own mental state in this context

the last paragraph there's quite a lot: past tense experiences show good story development. the 'roast chicken' and 'doll' similes show how they feel objectifyed
TLinston
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
there's just a few things...idk how many marks this is worth (8?)
drowninginworkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by TLinston)
talk about the opening direct speech, internal speech. you could mention the neptune figure -the whole 'bruised' description can reflct his own mental state in this context

the last paragraph there's quite a lot: past tense experiences show good story development. the 'roast chicken' and 'doll' similes show how they feel objectifyed
thank you soo much!!
drowninginworkk
Rep:
?
there's just a few things...idk how many marks this is worth (8?)
It's just homework, just have to write paragraphs on 3 language techniques and their effects and 3 structure techniques and their effect, stupidly left it till the day before
student322
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by drowninginworkk)
PLEASE ANALYSE THIS, THE STRUCTURE AND LANGUAGE TECHNIQUES USED AND THEIR EFFECTS? i primise im actually ok at english but this extract is difficult okk

"Tell me about your recurring nightmare, Nathan." We're sitting by the pond on warm paving slabs. The pond's a long rectangle, with water lilies and a bronze statue of Neptune in the middle gone turquoise and bruised. The pond's bigger than our whole garden, which is really just a muddy yard with a washing line and rubbish bins. Dad's lodge in Rhodesia has land going down to a river where there're hippos. I think of Mrs. Marconi telling me to "Focus on the subject." "How do you know about my nightmare?"

"You have that hunted look," says Jonah.

I lob a pebble up, high over the water. Its arc is maths.

"Is your nightmare anything to do with your scars?"

Immediately my hand's pulled my hair down over the white-and-pink-streaked area below my right ear, to hide where the damage shows the most. The stone goes plop! but the splash is invisible. I won't think about the mastiff launching itself at me, its fangs pulling skin off my cheek like roast chicken, its eyes as it shook me like a doll, its teeth locked around my jawbone; or the weeks in hospital, the injections, the drugs, the surgery, the faces people make; or how the mastiff's still waiting for me when I fall asleep.
lost of visual imagery. and for structure short and long paragraphs perhaps used because there’s going to a sense of understanding to confusion or dread
drowninginworkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by student322)
lost of visual imagery. and for structure short and long paragraphs perhaps used because there’s going to a sense of understanding to confusion or dread
what does the visual imagery show though? like I know it creates the surroundings but you can say that about any text? right?
drowninginworkk
Rep:
?

what does the dialogue show though? and with the neptune figure, should I link it to the fact neptune is known to over power those snaller than him, or does that have nothing to do with the context, im sorryy, perhaps not as good as english as i thought
TLinston
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by drowninginworkk)
what does the dialogue show though? and with the neptune figure, should I link it to the fact neptune is known to over power those snaller than him, or does that have nothing to do with the context, im sorryy, perhaps not as good as english as i thought
-the dialogue immediately draws in the reader; it makes the story revelant because its happening right there.
-your point about neptune is great! and if you add in the idea about him being 'bruised', you can show how strongly depressed the boy's mind set is (that even neptune, a god, is being beaten down in this world)

good luck!
drowninginworkk
Rep:
?
-the dialogue immediately draws in the reader; it makes the story revelant because its happening right there.
-your point about neptune is great! and if you add in the idea about him being 'bruised', you can show how strongly depressed the boy's mind set is (that even neptune, a god, is being beaten down in this world)

good luck!
thank you so much!
Louis2003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With structure you're looking at how the writer has put together the opening/middle/ending. The writer is usually trying to have some kind of effect on the reader and you have to work out what the writer is trying to achieve in the text. I'm presuming that this is at the beginning of a story, so the writer is probably trying to set the scene in the reader's mind in a particular way. You can use things like punctuation, sentence and style length as well as tone of language to show this.

For language features, it's just a matter of finding writing techniques, trying to pick out as much information out of them as possible and saying what the reader will think, feel or imagine from this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.82%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.16%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.57%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.12%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.96%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.38%

Watched Threads