ahaq13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
in physics gcse, we were taught that shc is the energy required to raise the temperature of 1g of a substance by 1 degree celsius. in a level biology we are told that water has a high shc but how can it if 1g of water requires little energy to raise the temperature above 1 degree? i assume when we talk about water having a high shc we're talking about large quantities of water but by the definition of shc we should only be talking about 1g of water.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ahaq13)
in physics gcse, we were taught that shc is the energy required to raise the temperature of 1g of a substance by 1 degree celsius. in a level biology we are told that water has a high shc but how can it if 1g of water requires little energy to raise the temperature above 1 degree? i assume when we talk about water having a high shc we're talking about large quantities of water but by the definition of shc we should only be talking about 1g of water.
Little energy? in comparison to another materials, water has a high energy value to raise about 1 degree. see this table to check.

If you mean the mass with 'high quantities of water', so you are right, the mass is one factor for specific heat capacity. But that seems not to be target-aimed to your question. If I do your question right, you asked about the reason why water has different specific heat cpacity compared with another materials. If it is so, I can tell you that different materials are able to absorb and to store it better or even worse.

If I have not answered your question to your satisfaction, please ask a bit more precise to give me another chance.
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 years ago
username3947342
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its 1 kilogram of water not 1 gram.

Grams arent SI units. Youve worded your question weirdly but water has a high specific heat capacity in relation to other substances. There are substances that require less energy to change by 1 kelvin. these will have a lower specific heat capacity. Not quite sure how that confused you.
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Afforestation)
Its 1 kilogram of water not 1 gram.

Grams arent SI units. Youve worded your question weirdly but water has a high specific heat capacity in relation to other substances. There are substances that require less energy to change by 1 kelvin. these will have a lower specific heat capacity. Not quite sure how that confused you.
Yes, that's correct.

You were most likely getting confused with chemistry and physics.

Thermal physics definition of specific heat capacity of water is the amount of energy required to raise water of mass 1kg by 1 degree.

For chemistry, you deal with smaller amounts, and its definition is the amount of energy required to raise water of mass 1g by 1 degree.

Physics is 4180J/kg K^-1 and chemistry is 4.18J/g K^-1
Last edited by Guarddyyy; 2 years ago
username3947342
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
Yes, that's correct.

Thermal physics definition of specific heat capacity of water is the amount of energy required to raise water of mass 1kg by 1 degree.

For chemistry, you deal with smaller amounts, and its definition is the amount of energy required to raise water of mass 1g by 1 degree.

In chemistry Im still told to work in kg and simply convert. do you know what this guy is actually asking though?
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In chemistry Im still told to work in kg and simply convert. do you know what this guy is actually asking though?
To be brutally honest, not exactly It's not really a question... I think he/she just wants some clarification. It depends what you're actually working with when you are doing chemistry stuff (chemical industry stuff you definitely want to use kg).

May I ask what year you're in as well?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, that's correct.

I see, it was about the units, that explains everything. Thank you.

ahaq13 Sometimes, as in physics, the units are calculated in kJ and kg and in biology and chemistry in turn, it is J and g. But the value of the ratio, so c = dQ/dT, is the same, despite of the different dimensions.
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 years ago
username3947342
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be brutally honest, not exactly It's not really a question... I think he/she just wants some clarification. It depends what you're actually working with when you are doing chemistry stuff (chemical industry stuff you definitely want to use kg).

May I ask what year you're in as well?
S5 in scotland, im 16
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
S5 in scotland, im 16
Alright, I'm in year 13 (which is equivalent to S7, so we would've been taught differently).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (107)
50.95%
No (103)
49.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise