How does electrode material affect reaction products? Watch

Surfando
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Can anyone explain how the composition of electrodes in an electrolysis changes the products formed at them?
E.g. MnMoW-triple oxide electrocatalysts for the anode in brine electrolysis cause oxygen to be evolved instead of chlorine?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Surfando)
Can anyone explain how the composition of electrodes in an electrolysis changes the products formed at them?
E.g. MnMoW-triple oxide electrocatalysts for the anode in brine electrolysis cause oxygen to be evolved instead of chlorine?
They just catalyse the alternative reaction.

chloride ions and in competition with hydroxide ions at the anode. If you have a specific catalyst then it can improve the rate of one over the other.
Surfando
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
They just catalyse the alternative reaction.

chloride ions and in competition with hydroxide ions at the anode. If you have a specific catalyst then it can improve the rate of one over the other.
Oh okay thank you! I'm surprised you can get 100% oxygen evolution in this way with no chlorine.
Also do you know what is done industrially about the resulting increasing concentration of the solution as the H2 and O2 leave?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Surfando)
Oh okay thank you! I'm surprised you can get 100% oxygen evolution in this way with no chlorine.
Also do you know what is done industrially about the resulting increasing concentration of the solution as the H2 and O2 leave?
I'm not, electrolysis of a dilute (0.01 mol dm-3) NaCl(aq) will produce mainly oxygen at the anode. The standard reduction potential of the hydroxide ion is more negative than that of chloride ions.

Industrially, I have no idea, but it seems to me that replacement of water would be a very minor inconvenience.
Surfando
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
I'm not, electrolysis of a dilute (0.01 mol dm-3) NaCl(aq) will produce mainly oxygen at the anode. The standard reduction potential of the hydroxide ion is more negative than that of chloride ions.

Industrially, I have no idea, but it seems to me that replacement of water would be a very minor inconvenience.
Hm yet this is not so for seawater electrolysis.

Replacement of water would be an inconvenience in the hydrogen production industry - in which the production of oxygen over chlorine is desired - as the goal is to move away from using desalinated water and towards abundant seawater.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads