Covalent bonds Watch

Drakous
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
The answer to the following MCQ is ‘C’ which I don’t understand how. There is a need of more than one atom of the same element to make the bond as stated in ‘C’ correct. But the question reads ‘which two atoms’ not ‘which two elements’. So if someone could clarify my doubt. Thanks in advance.
Drakous
Rep:
?
This is the question
Attached files
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Its a poorly worded question, but those are the only two of whatever you want to call them that will combine to make something covalent. There's no way you could combine any number or ratio of what's suggested in the other options to form a covalent compound.
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You can instantly eliminate compound W because its outer shell has 1 electron, which suggests it is a group 1 metal (which means it would form a metallic or ionic).

You can also eliminate compound Z because it has 8 electrons, which means it's a noble gas (and doesn't bond with anything).

I hope this helps.
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It atoms that form covalent bonds. Element is a term for lots of atoms of the same thing. X can happily team up with 4 of Y to share electrons and to get all the atoms in the bond to the happy position of being posh like a nobel gas. None of the other combinations need to or can do this eg Z is snobby Argon
Drakous
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot guys
Drakous
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zarek)
It atoms that form covalent bonds. Element is a term for lots of atoms of the same thing. X can happily team up with 4 of Y to share electrons and to get all the atoms in the bond to the happy position of being posh like a nobel gas. None of the other combinations need to or can do this eg Z is snobby Argon
I get it, but all I am saying is that the question must be more clear. Because the question is only referring to two atoms combining and forming a covalent bond. But if looked clearly no two atoms can combine and form a covalent bond. Unless two or more atoms of X and Y are used. Anyway thanks a lot.
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Drakous)
I get it, but all I am saying is that the question must be more clear. Because the question is only referring to two atoms combining and forming a covalent bond. But if looked clearly no two atoms can combine and form a covalent bond. Unless two or more atoms of X and Y are used. Anyway thanks a lot.
Yes, I agree. MCQ questions seem to be blighted by ambiguity with the people devising them failing to gasp it would be worth running them past a few other lesser mortals for comment. It almost becomes part of the skill of MCQ to second guess the incompetence of the examiner. There are far worse examples than this one too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (155)
18.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (81)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (140)
17.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (116)
14.09%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (252)
30.62%

Watched Threads