The Student Room Group

Finding Learning to drive so hard.

I have had about 40-50 hours of driving lessons and just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I was told by my instructor that I am no better at my last lesson as someone one lesson 2!! I really want to learn but everytime I get something wrong, I just panic and forget the basics. My parents have bought me a car, so really keen even more to pass, but my instructor doesn't think I will ever get there as I 'dont focus or concentrate' I honestly feel like I do, but he is the expect right? Any tips to help with concentrating? I can't switch to automatic as my car is manual.
Reply 1
Have you considered changing driving instructor? I recommend you do because he isn't picking up where you are going wrong - which is half the point of a teacher in the first place! You should have an instructor help you to stop panicking.

Recommend getting more advice from people close to you who drive (IE parents?) and explain all you can to get their insight to where you are going wrong as well. Also, do not have lessons too far apart otherwise you will forget things

Personally, when I was learning to drive I found just executing maneuvers etc slowly step by step in a list helped best with nerves and getting it stuck in my head nice and clear. But, again, a good instructor will be able to tell you what you need to do exactly.

Take care
Reply 2
Original post by Love for Love
Have you considered changing driving instructor? I recommend you do because he isn't picking up where you are going wrong - which is half the point of a teacher in the first place! You should have an instructor help you to stop panicking.

Recommend getting more advice from people close to you who drive (IE parents?) and explain all you can to get their insight to where you are going wrong as well. Also, do not have lessons too far apart otherwise you will forget things

Personally, when I was learning to drive I found just executing maneuvers etc slowly step by step in a list helped best with nerves and getting it stuck in my head nice and clear. But, again, a good instructor will be able to tell you what you need to do exactly.

Take care

Thank you for your help, I am reluctant to change driving instructor, I am going to panic anyway right? I feel like sitting here, I just tell myself to get over it, but when I am sitting in that seat it's like my brain switches off. I am starting to dread lessons, as they just end up with me in tears!!! I will have a look at maybe a new instructor.
Reply 3
Original post by RachaelT85
Thank you for your help, I am reluctant to change driving instructor, I am going to panic anyway right? I feel like sitting here, I just tell myself to get over it, but when I am sitting in that seat it's like my brain switches off. I am starting to dread lessons, as they just end up with me in tears!!! I will have a look at maybe a new instructor.

Are you afraid you're going to hit something or just afraid you're going to mess up generally? There is almost no way you can really mess up with an instructor, it will only ever be small things which you (and everyone else) are there to learn from anyway.

I still think you do really just need a new instructor who can tell you not to panic at all when you do make a mistake. I once stalled on a small roundabout (no other cars thankfully) and my instructor said something that made me not panic and I was off again shortly. If they didn't say anything I would have panicked and gone mind blank completely. Simple words in the right places from an instructor make a huge difference.

Are you able to go with your parents to a large car park when it's mostly empty to practise? It sounds like you just aren't comfortable in a car too and just need to get used it a bit more. (and perhaps you're putting too much pressure on yourself when you're with your instructor)
(edited 5 years ago)
Get some private practice with your parents.
Reply 5
Driving is stressful even when you have passed. Change instructor, keep the perspective that you will get there, keep at it..
Reply 6
He just says, concentrate! And focus, and if I make a mistake on something we have already done it's awful. Basically the problem is my confidence. I like it when he tells me what to do, the minute I have to take 'more responsibility'is when it goes wrong. As I said I do want to learn, but I can see why i am frustrating.
Try taking some rescure remedy before your lessons, it helps with the nerves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending