han_nah1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm about to move north and we were thinking about either staying in northern England or going to Scotland. I've started A-levels and I've done a half term of Literature, Psychology, Classical civilisation and an AS maths course across 2 years. How would it be too start Scottish highers after a term (so after Christmas) and how do A-levels translate to Scottish Highers- I've heard they are easier courses but there is more work as a whole?
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Labrador99 might be able to help you.
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Labrador99 might be able to help you.
Thanks for the mention

(Original post by han_nah1234)
I'm about to move north and we were thinking about either staying in northern England or going to Scotland. I've started A-levels and I've done a half term of Literature, Psychology, Classical civilisation and an AS maths course across 2 years. How would it be too start Scottish highers after a term (so after Christmas) and how do A-levels translate to Scottish Highers- I've heard they are easier courses but there is more work as a whole?

:wavey:
Assuming you are currently in year 12...You would go into Scottish S5, where in most schools, you will be studying 5 subjects (a minority do 6 in S5). If you have a strong set of GCSE results, you would likely want to do 5 highers.
However, by the time January comes, literally half of the Scottish academic year (and generally more than half of the teaching) is done, so I don't think you would realistically be able to do 5 highers in the 2019 exams. Our courses and requirements are quite different to the English system, and it would be a HUGE undertaking to try and squeeze what the SQA estimate to be 1200 hours of work into less than 4 months, including all of the coursework (assignments that count towards your final grade) and exam prep you'd have to do.
What you can do though, is start the courses in January and then take the exams in 2020, which would allow you to hopefully do as well as you can. Some Scottish students take 2 years to do some of their one year higher courses anyways, so from the school's perspective it shouldn't be a problem.
If you want to go on to study at university, highers are fine to get in to most courses at Scottish universities, however, English ones often ask for advanced highers on top of that.
Your situation of moving half way through the year isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world or insurmountable...Happy to answer as many questions as you have
han_nah1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
:wavey:
Assuming you are currently in year 12...You would go into Scottish S5, where in most schools, you will be studying 5 subjects (a minority do 6 in S5). If you have a strong set of GCSE results, you would likely want to do 5 highers.
However, by the time January comes, literally half of the Scottish academic year (and generally more than half of the teaching) is done, so I don't think you would realistically be able to do 5 highers in the 2019 exams. Our courses and requirements are quite different to the English system, and it would be a HUGE undertaking to try and squeeze what the SQA estimate to be 1200 hours of work into less than 4 months, including all of the coursework (assignments that count towards your final grade) and exam prep you'd have to do.
What you can do though, is start the courses in January and then take the exams in 2020, which would allow you to hopefully do as well as you can. Some Scottish students take 2 years to do some of their one year higher courses anyways, so from the school's perspective it shouldn't be a problem.
If you want to go on to study at university, highers are fine to get in to most courses at Scottish universities, however, English ones often ask for advanced highers on top of that.
Your situation of moving half way through the year isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world or insurmountable...Happy to answer as many questions as you have
Ok, just to be extra awkward, I actually wanted to go to a uni in Ireland 😂 which says I would need 5 higher level subjects grade c and 1 subject at standard/intermediate level grade 3 and then also 2 advanced higher level subjects at grade c.
what does the 1 subject at standard/intermediate level grade 3 mean?

I dropped out of year 12 early last year so I'm actually y13 redoing y12 so I didn't really want to spend 2 years doing highers and then another year doing advanced highers-is that how it would work?
Also, do you take on 2 subjects from hjighers to do as advanced highers?

Thanks for the help- I feel like this work load would be too much to take on.
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok, just to be extra awkward, I actually wanted to go to a uni in Ireland 😂 which says I would need 5 higher level subjects grade c and 1 subject at standard/intermediate level grade 3 and then also 2 advanced higher level subjects at grade c.
what does the 1 subject at standard/intermediate level grade 3 mean?

I dropped out of year 12 early last year so I'm actually y13 redoing y12 so I didn't really want to spend 2 years doing highers and then another year doing advanced highers-is that how it would work?
Also, do you take on 2 subjects from hjighers to do as advanced highers?

Thanks for the help- I feel like this work load would be too much to take on.
:lol: So the standard/intermediate bit refers to the old Scottish system (the new one came in 5 years ago now, so don't know why they haven't updated :lol:) but a 3 at Standard grade, is roughly a high B at National 5...Your GCSEs should cover this?
That is a pretty bizarre set of entry requirements, when compared to what a Scottish uni would ask for, in terms of the format of it.

So normally, highers and advanced highers are each one year courses, but I think most people would really struggle to cover the required content and coursework for highers in less than 4 months...Based on what you've said though, I think that age wise, you would have a year and a half max in a Scottish school if you moved in January. It might be that you spend that time getting highers, and then go to an FE college to do an HNC for a year. I don't know the backstory of why you want to study at that place in particular, but you may need to compromise on where you study, so you can get there when you want to, or find an alternative route there (plenty exist ).

Generally, yes if you were doing 2 subjects at advanced higher, it would be ones you previously did at higher...Given the university isn't in Scotland though, it might be worth contacting them to double check their views on this though, as sometimes universities out with Scotland don't fully understand our system.

Hope this helps
han_nah1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
:lol: So the standard/intermediate bit refers to the old Scottish system (the new one came in 5 years ago now, so don't know why they haven't updated :lol:) but a 3 at Standard grade, is roughly a high B at National 5...Your GCSEs should cover this?
That is a pretty bizarre set of entry requirements, when compared to what a Scottish uni would ask for, in terms of the format of it.

So normally, highers and advanced highers are each one year courses, but I think most people would really struggle to cover the required content and coursework for highers in less than 4 months...Based on what you've said though, I think that age wise, you would have a year and a half max in a Scottish school if you moved in January. It might be that you spend that time getting highers, and then go to an FE college to do an HNC for a year. I don't know the backstory of why you want to study at that place in particular, but you may need to compromise on where you study, so you can get there when you want to, or find an alternative route there (plenty exist ).

Generally, yes if you were doing 2 subjects at advanced higher, it would be ones you previously did at higher...Given the university isn't in Scotland though, it might be worth contacting them to double check their views on this though, as sometimes universities out with Scotland don't fully understand our system.

Hope this helps
yeah, that clears a lot of stuff up. it's so different from Alevels. Thanks for the help!
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah, that clears a lot of stuff up. it's so different from Alevels. Thanks for the help!
No problem Always happy to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.71%
Labour (160)
49.08%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.11%
Green Party (20)
6.13%
Brexit Party (4)
1.23%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.15%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.61%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.23%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)