The Student Room Group

Importance of uni choice?

Should I choose the better/ higher ranked uni (Durham) even though I don’t want to go there or a slightly lower uni in a place I like better (Bristol)?

I have both offers and I’m sure i could get the grades for both, I want to get a good degree and possibly go on to graduate study at Oxbridge/ London unis too.
Original post by Xtraxan
Should I choose the better/ higher ranked uni (Durham) even though I don’t want to go there or a slightly lower uni in a place I like better (Bristol)?

I have both offers and I’m sure i could get the grades for both, I want to get a good degree and possibly go on to graduate study at Oxbridge/ London unis too.

You have until May to decide this for a reason.

There’s no real quality difference between Durham and Bristol.

Your firm choice should be your favourite place - the one where you think you will be happy and where you think you will do your best work
Your statement I don’t want to go there should give you a bit of a clue, possibly?

Just preferring certain of the universities you apply to, or the city in / near to which it is situated, over others is perfectly normal, but applying to one you know from the start that you dont want to attend is just bizarre, so presumably this is a realisation that has come upon you since you submitted your application? Or do you attend a school where you are pressured to apply to certain universities?

(If the latter applies, if it helps with the prestige thing, Bristol was a founder member of the Russell Group, Durham a relative newcomer, in 2012).
Original post by Xtraxan

A good degree from Bristol will set you up for life. Bristol as a university is great and the city is beautiful
Reply 4
Because of various weird life circumstances, I have done parts of my undergrad in 3 different unis (a v prestigious one, an arts uni that to people outside the industry would seem v low rank, and currently a mid rank Russell Group uni). I can tell you for a fact that once you’re there it won’t matter about the “ranking”, seriously. Everywhere you go you’ll have a mix of great and not so great lecturers. At all the institutions I’ve been at, I’ve had wonderful professors from a huge variety of academic backgrounds. What you do with the resources there is vastly more important - make use of the facilities available to you!

Both unis you’ve listed are great anyway! Go somewhere you’ll love. It will make a difference if you like the place you’re living.

Sorry if this seems schmaltzy or cliche, but it’s true. 🤷*♀️
Reply 5
Original post by Isinglass
Your statement I don’t want to go there should give you a bit of a clue, possibly?

Just preferring certain of the universities you apply to, or the city in / near to which it is situated, over others is perfectly normal, but applying to one you know from the start that you dont want to attend is just bizarre, so presumably this is a realisation that has come upon you since you submitted your application? Or do you attend a school where you are pressured to apply to certain universities?

(If the latter applies, if it helps with the prestige thing, Bristol was a founder member of the Russell Group, Durham a relative newcomer, in 2012).

I knew I didn’t want to go to Durham when I applied but I had a 5th choice to use up and yes I kind of feel pressured to go to a top uni and thought I should have one there just in case. Eg. I also applied to Cambridge even though I KNOW I don’t want to go there I just know I should try to because I’m potentially good enough and a degree from there is more respected...
I think you need to work out WHY you want to go to Uni.

Seriously, is it just so that people say 'oh wow, thats a really good Uni'?
This isnt a game.
Original post by Xtraxan
I knew I didn’t want to go to Durham when I applied but I had a 5th choice to use up and yes I kind of feel pressured to go to a top uni and thought I should have one there just in case. Eg. I also applied to Cambridge even though I KNOW I don’t want to go there I just know I should try to because I’m potentially good enough and a degree from there is more respected...

So that's potentially two wasted places on your form - or will you firm Cambridge if they make you an offer and even go there, if you meet it, even though you have already identified that it isnt for you? I can imagine that your family would put even more pressure on you to go to Cambridge over Bristol.
Original post by Xtraxan

The one you want every time. When I went for undergrad, I ended up firming my lowest ranked choice simply because it was my favourite and suited my needs best!

If you go somewhere you know you don’t like, it’ll only mean you do really badly academically, if you don’t drop out that is, and that will do you no favours at all despite the name. Name alone will never save you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending