Dropping out of A levels Watch

Ishrah17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay, so this has been bothering me for some time now. Here’s the deal. I want to drop out of A levels. It’s been a year and about two months since I’ve started my A levels and I’ve honeslty never felt so pressured in my life. My dream job is to write. I love writing. Whether if it’s a novel or an article (an article that I’ve never written before) I’d want to write. I take art and philosophy along with English literature, and with all the practical work and essay writing, everything’s been piling up. I miss some days due to illness and it seems there’s a mountain of work to be done after I’ve return to sixth form. Don’t get me wrong, I love my subjects. But I also hate the work and the exceeded effort that’s expected to be put into them. I know it’s only two years, but I’m not a mentally good person. I’ve been improving my mind, very very slowly. I feel like if I want to do writing, I’d HAVE to finish my A levels to create a good background for my “career” in the future. But I need some advice. I want to drop out. I can’t handle the pressure of work, don’t get me mistaken about me complaining about the effort I put in, because I honeslty try my best,but whenever I fail to deliver something on time, I feel a great deal of disappointment in an area that pressures you to sacrifice happiness and family life for something that counts only for two years of qualification. I don’t quite understand apprenticeship, but I’ve been researching. I know it seems like I’m almost done. A year and two months means I only have like five months left. But with all the quality I put into my work and the amount of self care I sacrifice heavily ways on my shoulder. So some advice please, would it be wrong to drop out of sixth form at this moment?
Last edited by Interrobang; 4 weeks ago
Mary6767
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ishrah17)
Okay, so this has been bothering me for some time now. Here’s the deal. I want to drop out of A levels. It’s been a year and about two months since I’ve started my A levels and I’ve honeslty never felt so pressured in my life. My dream job is to write. I love writing. Whether if it’s a novel or an article (an article that I’ve never written before) I’d want to write. I take art and philosophy along with English literature, and with all the practical work and essay writing, everything’s been piling up. I miss some days due to illness and it seems there’s a mountain of work to be done after I’ve return to sixth form. Don’t get me wrong, I love my subjects. But I also hate the work and the exceeded effort that’s expected to be put into them. I know it’s only two years, but I’m not a mentally good person. I’ve been improving my mind, very very slowly. I feel like if I want to do writing, I’d HAVE to finish my A levels to create a good background for my “career” in the future. But I need some advice. I want to drop out. I can’t handle the pressure of work, don’t get me mistaken about me complaining about the effort I put in, because I honeslty try my best,but whenever I fail to deliver something on time, I feel a great deal of disappointment in an area that pressures you to sacrifice happiness and family life for something that counts only for two years of qualification. I don’t quite understand apprenticeship, but I’ve been researching. I know it seems like I’m almost done. A year and two months means I only have like five months left. But with all the quality I put into my work and the amount of self care I sacrifice heavily ways on my shoulder. So some advice please, would it be wrong to drop out of sixth form at this moment?
If I was you I would go with your gut feelings. Not doing A levels is not the end of the world, people don’t do A levels and they are successful in life. Tbh if you feel your gonna get bad grades at the end it’s not worth it, what the point of doing 2 years of A levels of you know ur gonna fail it? Yes it would look good on ur CV and yes it could help you later on in life but it’s all up to you. I could of done A levels but I didn’t i went down the BTEC route which is honestly the best decision of my life cause I knew I wouldn’t be able to do A levels. What apprenticeship are u applying for?
Ishrah17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Mary6767)
If I was you I would go with your gut feelings. Not doing A levels is not the end of the world, people don’t do A levels and they are successful in life. Tbh if you feel your gonna get bad grades at the end it’s not worth it, what the point of doing 2 years of A levels of you know ur gonna fail it? Yes it would look good on ur CV and yes it could help you later on in life but it’s all up to you. I could of done A levels but I didn’t i went down the BTEC route which is honestly the best decision of my life cause I knew I wouldn’t be able to do A levels. What apprenticeship are u applying for?
I haven’t looked at any apprenticeships because I’m really confused about the whole concept, I’ve researched and whatnot but nothing helps
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
You have already spent so much time into your A-levels, even if you complete them with sub-standard grades, that is better than not having them at all. Most jobs require a 2.1 degree so not even having A-levels would really diminish the opportunity of pursuing a career in journalism or something similar.

Sacrificing some leisure time in these 5 months to ensure a bright future with endless career options is a sacrifice worth taking.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mary6767
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I haven’t looked at any apprenticeships because I’m really confused about the whole concept, I’ve researched and whatnot but nothing helps
I would day finish those 5 months, whatever happenes happenes. Cause that looks like all the hard effor gone to waste
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (133)
18.4%
No (439)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.89%

Watched Threads