will UK teachers ever be paid well? Watch

Shazza1233
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Im currently training as a primary school teacher but after a fee years I want to teach psychology in sec school/sixthform. good luck
Good luck to you as well
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Claudette
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some of those teachers at that school look like they are 6th formers!
Thing is that with teaching, as with any public service, it will always be low paid. It's frustrating yes but its not going to change any time soon sadly!
I work as a TA currently, running outdoor learning throughout two schools. I get paid exactly the same as the TAs who support classes, despite planning, leading, assessing etc. I do it because I love it, yes I need to earn a living, but part of going into this profession is because you absolutely and 100% want to and you feel passionate about.
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Arran90)
The truth is, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

Teaching in Britain is only attractive to those who have a passion for teaching or can't find jobs with a comparable salary elsewhere. That's probably why there is a glut of history, English, French, and mediocre primary school teachers but it's hard to find good computer science teachers because people with the knowledge and the qualifications can usually find careers with better pay and conditions in industry.
This is pure rubbish. There are loads of people with English/History degrees working as civil servants, in law firms and PR. Also, it is great that English graduates are going into teaching because you needed them to help you pass your GCSE English, something nearly every job requires.
JaneBaratheon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
RQT here. while I've only been a teacher for two years (three if you include training), I'm the child of a teacher and worked in/with schools for a few years before making the plunge.

In my experience, increasing pay is fairly low on the wish list of most teachers. What we'd actually like (in no particular order) is:

Smaller class sizes, especially for classes with high numbers of SEN students.
Better behaviour from students.
More funding to buy resources.
More funding towards an alternative curriculum.
More funding to support SEN students.
Less marking/tracking.
The powers that be to stop lurching from one educational theory to the next, just as we've established the last one.
Working, up to date technology.

To summarise, we don't want more more money in our pockets, we want it in the schools. Personally, I'd gladly give up a few weeks holiday and/or some of my pay if we could have all of the above.

It's not pay that drives teachers out of teaching, it's the above. I love my job, and on the whole I love my school, but I've been in schools where you could pay the teachers on a par with footballers and they wouldn't have remained in the job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise