still failing a level physics

Watch this thread
fairylight778
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Last year i done biology chemistry and physics a levels and i was getting Ds last year in physics and my teacher said it is because i dont do a level maths and that im not going to get higher than a E as a result. I also want to go into physics in the future and study it at uni( i really love it, its so interesting! and my fave subject) so i thought it was best to do it alongside physics so my physics grades does not suffer (original plan was to do fast track maths in a gap year). For these reasons i retook 12 year and now im doing a level physics maths and biology. Problem is i have still been only getting Ds in topic tests (particle physics and electricity) and it is really worrying me as i dont know why im still doing bad. i revise really hard and i even do questions. Can someone please give me advice i dont know what to do (for reference i got A in my gcse for physics and 6 for maths) and im on the aqa board. How do you revise? What resources/websites do you use? I feel distraut that im doing so bad in the one subject i want to do well in

thanks in advance
Shiv7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fairylight778)
Last year i done biology chemistry and physics a levels and i was getting Ds last year in physics and my teacher said it is because i dont do a level maths and that im not going to get higher than a E as a result. I also want to go into physics in the future and study it at uni( i really love it, its so interesting! and my fave subject) so i thought it was best to do it alongside physics so my physics grades does not suffer (original plan was to do fast track maths in a gap year). For these reasons i retook 12 year and now im doing a level physics maths and biology. Problem is i have still been only getting Ds in topic tests (particle physics and electricity) and it is really worrying me as i dont know why im still doing bad. i revise really hard and i even do questions. Can someone please give me advice i dont know what to do (for reference i got A in my gcse for physics and 6 for maths) and im on the aqa board. How do you revise? What resources/websites do you use? I feel distraut that im doing so bad in the one subject i want to do well in

thanks in advance
Whilst doing A-Level Mathematics along Physics helps greatly I do a few people who haven't done Mathematics but have still managed to get a decent grade (A). Physics is a fairly simple subject to do well in, most of it is straightforward. Have a look at Physics and Maths Tutor which has some pretty nice resources for Physics. I would also ask your teachers or have a look on the internet for exam questions arranged by topic as and when you learn them topics, that really helps me. AQA board as well. I think you need to actually understand what you're doing instead of just solving questions etc, make sure you learn and know the topics.
Lastly I'd reconsider doing Physics at university, it only gets harder you know.
Hope this helps.
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The brutal truth is, if you're retaking it and still struggling then these subjects might not be for you.

Your current revision style doesn't seem to be working so you should move to a new method/style of revising instead.
JackMac2904
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Alevelphysicsonline.com is really good for revising physics, contains a large collection of videos that are engaging and easy to follow, not boring like most academic videos made by teachers xD (subscription required, not sure how much)

isaacphysics.com is also really good, especially if you're struggling with the mathematics, a lot of questions to practice on, and instant checking/hints.
Last edited by JackMac2904; 3 years ago
fairylight778
Rep:
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
The brutal truth is, if you're retaking it and still struggling then these subjects might not be for you.

Your current revision style doesn't seem to be working so you should move to a new method/style of revising instead.
But its subjects i love and can't let go of, its only physics biology im getting As and maths Cs. My goal is to get AAC by the end of 2 years C being maths. And i am in the process of trying methods.
fairylight778
Rep:
(Original post by JackMac2904)
Alevelphysicsonline.com is really good for revising physics, contains a large collection of videos that are engaging and easy to follow, not boring like most academic videos made by teachers xD (subscription required, not sure how much)

isaacphysics.com is also really good, especially if you're struggling with the mathematics, a lot of questions to practice on, and instant checking/hints.
Thank you!
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
But its subjects i love and can't let go of, its only physics biology im getting As and maths Cs. My goal is to get AAC by the end of 2 years C being maths. And i am in the process of trying methods.
Ok, so if you manage to get A's in biology and physics but C's in maths, it seems like your memorisation skills are pretty good, but the ability to tackle new problems isn't so. I would just advise to practice exam questions and trying to spot key points which could be used/ will be used in the problem. If you build this up over time, you could easily get A's and A*'s in maths.
Becky_x56
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I’m in year 12 and taking a level physics chemistry and philosophy and I don’t do maths and yes I do struggle a little more in physics than everyone else that does maths but that don’t mean I’m doing any worse then them, my teachers give a a little extra help with the maths side of it to make sure I’m understanding it. One of my physics teachers studied physics at uni and he didn’t take a level maths.
fairylight778
Rep:
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
Ok, so if you manage to get A's in biology and physics but C's in maths, it seems like your memorisation skills are pretty good, but the ability to tackle new problems isn't so. I would just advise to practice exam questions and trying to spot key points which could be used/ will be used in the problem. If you build this up over time, you could easily get A's and A*'s in maths.
thank you!
fairylight778
Rep:
(Original post by Becky_x56)
I’m in year 12 and taking a level physics chemistry and philosophy and I don’t do maths and yes I do struggle a little more in physics than everyone else that does maths but that don’t mean I’m doing any worse then them, my teachers give a a little extra help with the maths side of it to make sure I’m understanding it. One of my physics teachers studied physics at uni and he didn’t take a level maths.
What really?! Do you have more detail about your teacher for example do you know how he/she managed to do physics at uni without a level maths
Becky_x56
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What really?! Do you have more detail about your teacher for example do you know how he/she managed to do physics at uni without a level maths
I’m not really sure how but I juts know he didn’t take a level maths and he has a degree in physics
M4cc4n4
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Basically you'll likely do a double Maths Module in first year which cover the maths content for Physics, includes stuff from Maths A Level and Further Maths
13warmanj
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
In in year 13 same situation as you. I don't do maths and I honestly suck at maths but I got a B in physics honestly absolute best thing you can do is practice questions over and over until you start to recognise patterns
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads