root(3)^Y = Y^root(3), where Y ≠ root(3)

Watch
wagon23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How to solve for Y?

the first part of the question asked to put XY = YX in terms of parametric equations, which was X = t(1/t-1) , Y = t(t/t-1) . But now we working backwards to solve for t which is where am stuck?

i tried
root(3) = t(t/t-1) , but I have no idea how to isolate the t? I tried using natural log both sides then simplifying it but that didn't help me much I was only able to simplify it to
(root(3)/t)t = root(3) or root(3)t = root(3)tt
Is this even the right approach to getting the value of t?

btw The answer should be root(27) for Y.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(√ 3 )y = y(√ 3 )
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wagon23)
How to solve for Y?

the first part of the question asked to put XY = YX in terms of parametric equations, which was X = t(1/t-1) , Y = t(t/t-1) . But now we working backwards to solve for t which is where am stuck?

i tried
root(3) = t(t/t-1) , but I have no idea how to isolate the t? I tried using natural log both sides then simplifying it but that didn't help me much I was only able to simplify it to
(root(3)/t)t = root(3) or root(3)t = root(3)tt
Is this even the right approach to getting the value of t?

btw The answer should be root(27) for Y.
That equation is a type of a transcendental equation; you cannot solve it analytically.
wagon23
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
That equation is a type of a transcendental equation; you cannot solve it analytically.
So in the case of it being a transcendental equation my only option is approximate it via iteration method then? also how were you able to identify it as a transcendental equation?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wagon23)
Since you look to be studying A-level, I think it would be a good idea to post the whole question, or better still link to it, so we can see the original.
wagon23
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Since you look to be studying A-level, I think it would be a good idea to post the whole question, or better still link to it, so we can see the original.
It wasn't a past year question, just a question our teacher gave for those interested in maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (15)
22.39%
I'm not sure (2)
2.99%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (18)
26.87%
I have already dropped out (3)
4.48%
I'm not a current university student (29)
43.28%

Watched Threads