Should I take igcse eng lit ? Other arts and humanities igcse suggestions ?

Watch this thread
ch6rryy
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My school offers the 3 sciences, ict, Arabic second language and English as a 2nd language. I don’t mind it tbh but I want to take more subjects to attain more A’s...any suggestions on your fav/easiest subjects ? I know it depends on the person but I want to hear honest suggestions and opinions. Tbh I’m more interested in arts and humanities so i was thinking of taking Eng lit. I know it’s hard to even get A* so I wanna know other people’s experience and opinions. English (arts and humanities is where I’m most skilled/comfortable yet not offered in my school) is my fav/best subject. So taking it as a 2nd language isn’t troubling for now since it technically is my English subject. This’ll obviously require self study since I’m most likely not getting a tutor so I’d also have to invest in my own books... Thanks !!
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ch6rryy)
My school offers the 3 sciences, ict, Arabic second language and English as a 2nd language. I don’t mind it tbh but I want to take more subjects to attain more A’s...any suggestions on your fav/easiest subjects ? I know it depends on the person but I want to hear honest suggestions and opinions. Tbh I’m more interested in arts and humanities so i was thinking of taking Eng lit. I know it’s hard to even get A* so I wanna know other people’s experience and opinions. English (arts and humanities is where I’m most skilled/comfortable yet not offered in my school) is my fav/best subject. So taking it as a 2nd language isn’t troubling for now since it technically is my English subject. This’ll obviously require self study since I’m most likely not getting a tutor so I’d also have to invest in my own books... Thanks !!
Religious Studies, History, Geography, Economics. Eng Lit is fine and a good companion to English. They are all self contained, although you will need to check Geography as sometimes they have field work. With IGCSE I think they are more exams focused. Where is Maths?. If you are intending to study in the UK, then having English language can sometimes get you out of having to prove your ability with IELTS. It may only apply to English as a first language it depends on the uni.
ch6rryy
Rep:
Well math is already a compulsory subject...I’m planning to drop Islamic studies which is offered here since getting even an A can be difficult since answers have to be as accurate as the marking scheme...I’d just rather not...
totally wrecked
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If English is your subject, then opt for English Literature. It's not that "hard" as people say it to be honest. Y'see the quintessence of this subject depends solely on your writing and analyzing skills.
ch6rryy
Rep:
Do u think it would make up for me taking eng as a second language tho ? Or should i just switch to first language ? Just scared to take the leap/risk since I’ll have to study myself and eng as 2nd language would be more of a safe option for me to score :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads