totally wrecked
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Why is the IB board closing down Further Mathematics and why have the come up with odd mathematics levels?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well, it's just their decision. I never really see them fully justify it, but I think they know why they discontinued it. Anyway, A-level still has a further mathematics course if you care about studying some sort of advanced mathematics that much.

EDIT: This is their reason (source: http://pauljackson51.weebly.com/uplo...ril_2017.pdf): 'This decision was taken due to the very small number of students taking the subject and
the very small number of schools offering the subject'.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 11 months ago
Rohan77642
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
cause an extremely small percentage of students studied it. Most schools are not even equipped with teachers that know the content properly. Further mathematics is essentially introductory university mathematics where you do the entire HL math course + ALL the four options + other topics like linear algebra. Naturally only a very small minority of students have the time and drive to study this, having to juggle all this work along with 5 other IB subjects for very less reward, since almost all universities only require you to have done HL maths (even maths at Cambridge).

Further maths A level is not comparable to further maths hl ib. A better comparison would be additional further maths A level and IB hl further maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed