Advice- only girl in my physics and chemistry Watch

Becky_x56
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I take a level physics and chemistry (and philosophy and ethics) but I’m the only girl in physics and chemistry, when I first started I thought of dropping the subjects because there’s no one I’m ‘good’ friends with in there and I’m on my own. All 4 of my chemistry and physics teachers favour me because I’m the only girl and they always give me extra help, is this because they think I’m unable to get a good grade ??!
Anyone else the only girl ? Any advice ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LivvyBunny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm the only girl doing Spanish and I receive different treatment ( or so it feels). Honestly I am proud and yes it would be nice to be with people I am more familiar / comfortable with, but I just see it as unique and standing out from the crowd in the best possible way. Please don't drop the subject! We need more girls in science!!
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Yeah like I absolutely love science and I would hate to drop it I just don’t like the shocked expression on teachers faces when they see a girls doing physics etc and why should my teachers give me extra special treatment, I should struggle as much as everyone else right ?
LivvyBunny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah I totally agree. In Spanish I'm always asked first if I need extra help even though my target grade is the same as the boys'. When a male teacher walks into the room they just give me this smile of : awh I bet you feel bad, but don't worry, let me hold your hand cos you don't look capable being the only girl...
cath_slater
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don’t think they would offer you help because they think may be struggling. They’re probably doing it so you can feel comfortable and involved in the class, as you may or may not have any good friends in those lessons. Especially with you doing physics as this isn’t popular amongst girls (there are three of us taking it where I’m at), they don’t want you to drop it because of it. Teachers do it for both boys and girls when they are the only ones in their classes. Think of it as a good thing, at least they care about what you’re doing. Some teachers couldn’t care less, for instance my maths teacher still doesn’t know my name and he’s taught me for 2 years.

Edit: I didn’t mean that they wouldn’t give you help if you were actually struggling because I’m sure they would 😂
Last edited by cath_slater; 4 months ago
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Yeah exactly like my teachers always ask me if I’m okay? If I need any more help ? If I’m struggling? Like if I need help I’ll ask I don’t constantly need asking if I’m okay. However I do go to a school that fully supports girls doing physics etc and my teachers might only be acting like that because they like me as a student because one of my physics teachers has always favourtised since year 10 and I also do like that they always support me etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads