The Student Room Group

Foundation Science Degree/Access to HE Science - Dietetics/Nutrition

Hi all,

I am a potential mature student (aged 32) and am looking to potentially retrain as a Dietitian or Nutritionist.

I got my A Levels back in 2004, but not in science so I'm having to look at Access courses or Foundation Years.

Being based in Bucks, I'm a bit limited to what courses are available to me. If I want to do an Access Course I have Central Beds College, or there are foundation years available at Abingdon College (Oxford Brookes) or West Herts College (Uni of Herts).

There seems to be pros and cons of both. The Foundation courses are funded by student finance as per universities, however the courses are 25-30 miles away and are logistically tricky to get to (ie parking, public transport etc).

The Access course I have in mind is closer, but then there doesn't seem to be funding available towards living costs. I will need to work part time to support myself.

Anyone have any golden nuggets of advice?
Hi @FoodieJen

I know you posted a couple of weeks ago but noticed you didn't have any replies, have you got any further in your quest for advice?

I can only offer my experience. I'm too a mature student (34 next week) and now on my 1st year of a Nutrition and Public Health degree, though I'm looking towards being a secondary school teacher rather than a nutritionist - but that's still an option.

I did my Level 3 qualifications (in childcare) back in 2005 so didn't have a science based A Level or equiv when I got accepted. My university only wanted science at GCSE level plus the UCAS points form my Level 3. Have you looked at going straight to uni rather than doing the access first?

I looked at the access first, got accepted onto the course but then got accepted into uni so didn't need to do the access. I too was worried about the living costs not being assissted while on the access, also that it added another year to my career path.

What was good is that the access course I was going to do was only 2-3 days a week (10-4 I think) so you have the option to work part-time if the one you're looking at is similar.

Another option is a foundation year at the uni you want to apply for, that then comes with maintenance allowence as well as being funded by Student Finance.

Let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions about the nutrition courses.
Reply 2
Similar situation.

I briefly considered the foundation year but i'm going for the access course as it is closer to me. Although I will have to work P/T while doing it this will allow me to save more money for uni and hopefully better prepare.

From what I've heard in regards to funding is that it's dependant on the college. People on here have about being given termly payments for books and given help towards train tickets etc while on access course.
Also i think it's considered a P/T course under 16 hours so JSA or something similar might be available to you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi @FoodieJen,

What an adventure you're embarking on!

Don't know if this would be of interest, but I decided to chime in case anything in London would be an option. Our campus is two stops on the Picadilly line from King's Cross interchange, and a lot of our students and staff commute from just outside London. Highbury and Islington tube station is just ten minutes' walk up the road and that makes getting in from Euston a doddle as well.

There's a Human Nutrition Extended Degree at London Met, that might just be the thing for you. We have a really strong dietetics and nutrition department here, with great facilities - an amazing Superlab and industry standard kitchens. A couple of weeks ago we had BBC's science journalist, Dr Michael Mosley, filming a segment in our kitchen - we were all a bit starstruck!

The lecturers are passionate about what they do. They've set up a free event in January to talk about what it takes to be a dietitian. You would be most welcome to join us. It would be a good opportunity to find out more about the industry and you would get a chance to speak to someone face-to-face in an informal, relaxed setting. Think about it!

Best of luck with whatever you decide,

Dawn:u:
Reply 4
Hi Dawn, Thanks for the info - I would love to consider a London Uni, and although it's not that far to travel, about 1 hour on the train, I don't think I could afford the rail travel. Do you know if there is any financial support at London Met Uni towards rail travel? I'm too old for a 16-25 rail card sadly!
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply. I'm still researching and at the moment it's possible that late 2019 we may have to move (my other half is in the Armed Forces).

So I think the route I take will be totally dependent on where we are and what courses are available.

Original post by ChammyIRL
Hi @FoodieJen

I know you posted a couple of weeks ago but noticed you didn't have any replies, have you got any further in your quest for advice?

I can only offer my experience. I'm too a mature student (34 next week) and now on my 1st year of a Nutrition and Public Health degree, though I'm looking towards being a secondary school teacher rather than a nutritionist - but that's still an option.

I did my Level 3 qualifications (in childcare) back in 2005 so didn't have a science based A Level or equiv when I got accepted. My university only wanted science at GCSE level plus the UCAS points form my Level 3. Have you looked at going straight to uni rather than doing the access first?

I looked at the access first, got accepted onto the course but then got accepted into uni so didn't need to do the access. I too was worried about the living costs not being assissted while on the access, also that it added another year to my career path.

What was good is that the access course I was going to do was only 2-3 days a week (10-4 I think) so you have the option to work part-time if the one you're looking at is similar.

Another option is a foundation year at the uni you want to apply for, that then comes with maintenance allowence as well as being funded by Student Finance.

Let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions about the nutrition courses.
Original post by FoodieJen
Hi Dawn, Thanks for the info - I would love to consider a London Uni, and although it's not that far to travel, about 1 hour on the train, I don't think I could afford the rail travel. Do you know if there is any financial support at London Met Uni towards rail travel? I'm too old for a 16-25 rail card sadly!

Hi @FoodieJen,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you! We have a starter support bursary available at the moment that is available to all new UK and EU full-time undergraduate students who enrolled with us in autumn 2018 or who are due to enrol with us in January 2019.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Hannah :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending