Libbymoonbeam26
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello!
I'm currently in Year 11, my GCSEs will be commencing on 14/05/2019. I've been to some open days/evenings for various sixth forms (I know that I definitely want to attend sixth form rather than college) and am having some conflicting opinions regarding which subjects I should take at A-Level.
At the moment, I'm considering two sixth forms very seriously, my own school's and another that requires students to take 4 A-Levels rather than 3.
I'm currently thinking of taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics (with Geography as my 4th option).
For the record, I'm currently working at level 8 at all of these subjects (I do not take Further Maths GCSE though), but I struggle the most with geography.
I have been told that Geography A-Level is very different to the new Geography GCSE and when I attended an open evening at one of the sixth forms, I had the opportunity to look at a Geography A-Level paper (CIE) for Y12s and it gave me hope!
Maths is my favourite subject and as I don't struggle with it, I know that it is definitely something I want to pursue at A-Level.
So, any guidance you have is very much appreciated! What did you take at A-Level? How did it go and is there anything you would suggest taking or, indeed, not suggest?
Thank you!
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'm in year 12. attending sixthform. Doing Biology, Politics and Sociology

In year 11, i was only dependant upon my schools sixthform nothing else, so i cant really relate.
in terms of alevel choices i watched youtube videos and got alot of advice from olders on each and every subject. I reccomend looking into unis and what courses they offer and then dictate what alevels will be useful to certain courses (thats what i did, and i couldn't be happier with my alevel subjects).

I love all of my subjects but what i highliy reccomend, especially if your doing 4 subjects. is to have one subject that you can just sort of lay back on (obviously not in that way lol) my "easy" or "soft" alevel would be sociology. and my two "hard" ones are bio and politics ofc which i put first if ygm.

Hope that helps
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey Libbymoonbeam26,

I've completed my A-Levels in the Academic year that has just passed where I completed A-Levels in: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
Although this is 4 A-Levels, there is some overlap in topics you cover across Maths, Further Maths and Physics e.g. Your Mechanics module in maths will be very useful when doing Physics.

Similar to you, I did not take GCSE Further Maths and came out as one of the best.The main reason to go for 4 A-Levels I'd say personally would be if your in a situation where there's 3 subjects that will be relevant to your university course but your not sure if you'll be getting top grades in all of them. In that case the addition of a 4th can be used to do a subject which you excel at, for me this was Further Maths. This reasoning works as Universities only care about your top 3 A-Level grades when giving you grade requirements.

I'd advise, taking Geography but then dropping it at the end of 1st year or just taking it as an AS Level. Alternatively, you can wait till the end of the year to see which of your 4 subjects your weakest in and drop that one. With 3 you'll be stuck with them without any real options to change.

Hope this has helped,

S
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the reality is all universities only require 3 a levels and taking any more risks spreading your time too thinly resulting in worse grades. If you are certain you want a career in Maths, Physics, Engineering or Computer science maths fm physics is the perfect combination. the only advantage of taking 4 initially is it allows you the option of dropping one. if you are happy with your current school go to the 6th form there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (267)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.79%

Watched Threads