opinions on rememberance day?

Watch
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
heard alot of mixed opinions about whether we should have it and what poppy you should wear and if you should wear a poppy at all, whats peoples view on that? personally i think the idea of wearing a poppy only for rememberance day makes no sense, alot of people say they wear it to remember the dead soldiers of ww1 and 2 etc, so why do you want to remember them 1 day of the year? why not wear the poppy all year?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I personally don't have much of an opinion. I respect the desire to remember those who died and I respect the memory of those who died. But I have no personal ties to it - nobody in my family died in the war so I don't have many emotions towards it.
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's important to remember what happened and all the young lives that were lost. If we forget how horrible the war was then we will not be able to learn from it and never have a war like that again. If we wore the poppy all the time then it would lose its meaning, it's good to have a special occasion for remembering what happened.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, tsr needs another one of these threads ..
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
I think it's important to remember what happened and all the young lives that were lost. If we forget how horrible the war was then we will not be able to learn from it and never have a war like that again. If we wore the poppy all the time then it would lose its meaning, it's good to have a special occasion for remembering what happened.
i dont see why wearing a poppy all the time loses its meaning. the whole point of a poppy is for validation of other people to give the appearance that you care, despite most people in the country wearing it because other people are. i dont think wearing it all the time would change whether you appear to care about something or not. if you go to someones grave everyday that doesnt mean it loses its meaning.
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
i dont see why wearing a poppy all the time loses its meaning. the whole point of a poppy is for validation of other people to give the appearance that you care, despite most people in the country wearing it because other people are. i dont think wearing it all the time would change whether you appear to care about something or not. if you go to someones grave everyday that doesnt mean it loses its meaning.
That's not really a fair comparison as a grave has much more emotional significance than a poppy so the grave won't loose it's meaning. It's more like saying why don't we have Christmas everyday and the answer is that it's not special if we have it everyday.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it is important, but I have the feeling events will get smaller and smaller as fewer and fewer families are directly affected by loss. A friend of mine lost his life in Afghanistan, but before that I had no real concept of what "Remembrance Day" really meant. I went to the service and stood in silence with my parents, but when the silence happened I was just thinking about general things, nothing to do with what I was meant to be thinking about. When I lost my friend however all of that changed, and I attend every year specifically for him. But, most young people have never been affected, and I think once the older generations die off you'll get fewer people taking their children to events, and the message won't get passed down. Unless you've been affected, or you know someone who has, it's hard to look so far into the past and comprehend the enormity of events that went on.

As I mentioned, I do think it is important, however I think it will be very much on the decline in the near future.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't doubt their bravery but I worry about anyone who eagerly volunteers for a mass killing spree just because the likes of Haig, Kitchener and Melchett tell them to. Baaah! They say Hitler was the cause of WWII but to be honest, WWI was the cause of WWII. Maybe we could have a yellow poppy in memory of the conscientious objectors?
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
That's not really a fair comparison as a grave has much more emotional significance than a poppy so the grave won't loose it's meaning. It's more like saying why don't we have Christmas everyday and the answer is that it's not special if we have it everyday.
well no because if you think christmas is a special and good day it shows that the rest of your days arent going too well. if you are happy with life then christmas is no more special than any other day.
and a grave and a poppy can have equal signficance, a poppy can have more significance, it depends on the person and their emotional connection to it.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
But, most young people have never been affected, and I think once the older generations die off you'll get fewer people taking their children to events, and the message won't get passed down. Unless you've been affected, or you know someone who has, it's hard to look so far into the past and comprehend the enormity of events that went on.

As I mentioned, I do think it is important, however I think it will be very much on the decline in the near future.
to an extent i agree but most young people are still affected by ww2, if england had lost we could be living under the nazi regime which could be still happening now. so i think most if not all of the people in the uk atleast are affected by it
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
to an extent i agree but most young people are still affected by ww2, if england had lost we could be living under the nazi regime which could be still happening now. so i think most if not all of the people in the uk atleast are affected by it
Remembrance day is about WWI btw... which led to Hitler's rise to power. It was also when Europe threw over half of it's wealth at the US who were happily selling to both sides. Where do you think the money came from to turn wooden villages into skyscrapers during the 1920's/30's? Give them a uniform, a gun and a kit bag and off they all happily marched.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't mind the day but hate how cancerous people >40 on facebook get about the whole thing.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not saying people don't still benefit from the outcome of the war, I just mean that once it falls out of the realms of living memory people cease to understand the significance and simply take modern life for granted. Even for me, the concept of being under Nazi rule seems so abstract that I struggle to imagine it - and until I lost my friend in Afghanistan, as mentioned, I didn't always understand the true meanings behind remembrance day as much as I perhaps should have.

If you look throughout history, there are countless events that may have changed the course of the future - but they have become just that, history.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (240)
57.55%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.71%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.63%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.32%

Watched Threads